• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Java's Brewin'

Curlz

Just saw that the sign is up for a new (franchised) coffee place here in Lyndhurst. It's on the Riverside Ave side of the apartment building next to the Lyndhurst Bridge, where the Riverside Farmer's Market is located. Looks like they're still a few weeks away from opening, but fixtures are in there.

The Java's Brewin' website shows other locations in NJ; anyone been? Is the coffee any good? I'm just looking forward to having a new option close to home!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Here I was hoping that there'd be an alternative to Starbucks out on 3 in Lyndhurst. Good stuff, I'll be checking them out once they open. It's not mroe than a five-minute detour on my way to work.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

It's amazing the disrespect Starbucks gets, yet the lines at most of them are continual throughout the hours they are open. Their till is quite full.

I wonder why McDonald's doesn't get the same lashing that Starbucks gets among foodies... McDonalds is pure garbage; SB is more than coffee, it is a culture, a place to relax that didn't exist in the US before its proliferation...

IMHO- I find Starbucks' coffee to be bitter and acrid. It's my personal opinion and I think that many people agree with me. Obviously, many people disagree because there are quite a few people who go to Starbucks.

I don't think that any one can dispute that the food offerings at Starbucks are paltry. I am sure that the company realizes it and will correct it.

I agree that Starbucks is more than coffee. It is a culture and it is a meeting place and there is a sense of community about them. I think that that is their distinguishing characteristic.

I like McDonald's coffee. I think that many people like to trash McD's, but secretly love their food. I noticed their pull at JFK Airport. There was a McD's and two other unknown restaurants next door to it. The multinational patrons formed a serpentine line for McD's and the other two restaurants were empty.

Generally, people talk a big show but eat junk. I will note that McD's has decent salads. I also noticed that they offer yougurt and fruit. I think that they try to follow health trends to some small degree.

Oh I wasn't looking for a coffee house alternative, just an easier-access location of some coffee joint.

I personally could care less about the meeting place aspect of Starbucks. I just want to be able to grab a breakfast sandwich that isn't as death as a McWhatever and a good iced coffee in the mornings when I have to rush out of the house.

I do think Sbux has stale coffee, but I do like theirs better than Macca's or any other place. It'd be nice to have a Moon Doggie closer to me than Maywood to get really good iced coffee, but alas, this is not the case.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

There is a new coffee joint in Rutherford too, west side of Park Ave. midway up the strip between the station & the library.

Sorry, I'm not a coffee person so the name hasn't stuck in my brain yet.

Looks like a grassroots anti-Starbucks backlash. I noticed similar doings last time I was in St. Louis.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Was going to respond earlier this week to say we've got a Java's Brewin here in Philadelphia, to say it was nothing special. Average coffee, well below average food (salads never seemed fresh, strange sandwich offerings). But as I walked past today, I see it's closed, which doesn't say much for the product as it was in a great location below several big office buildings and had tons of foot traffic. There's a Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks within 2 blocks, but I'd think there was enough buffer that they'd have plenty of regulars. Guess not.

Interesting--thanks for sharing that, Ron! Fwiw, they are 1/2 block from a diner (one I never go to; can't say if their coffee is good or not), and a fast drive across the bridge to DD, but I think they're going to get foot traffic from the condos above and near them. We'll see!

Oh, and I noticed that their (permanent, lit) sign says Sandwichs. Sigh...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Oh...that MUST be why! :laugh: Thanks for the laugh, Menton!