• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

George Eliot's famous Marmalade Brompton Cake

jackal10

A friend asks:

Does anyone have a recipe for George Eliot's famous Marmalade Brompton Cake?

The only source for the assertion that George Eliot invented a fashionable cake seems to be the Wikipedia article on George Eliot.

That has been copied, word for word, by other sources on the net. The WP article doesn't cite a source for this claim, so the factoid may just be a malicious joke. Not unknown on WP.

Does anyone here know of a source that predates the WP article?

I have exhausted my sources - and they are pretty comprehensive. Plenty of marmalade cakes, but none specifically attributed to her.

If she was living in Coventry at the time, then a local librarian might be able to help.

A George Eliot scholar might also be able to help. Any literature scholars out there?

It might all be a myth of course.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

No hoaxes here. During the research phase of one of my books, I found it fairly well documented that during the time that George Eliot was working as a housekeeper and somewhere between her 19th and 21st birthdays, she actually did invent this cake, in turn sold the recipe to a local baker who paid her considerable royalties as the cake became quite popular. As I say, documentation is fairly easy to come by. The recipe, alas, seems to be lost to the ages....

Interesting! I would be most interested in the documentation too.

If it became popular, then it is quite possible that a local newspaper would have a baker's advertisement. Local newspapers should at least give the names of local bakers. Perhaps there is a descendant somewhere with the recipe? Genealogy sites can be helpful there.

Did your research take you in that direction Daniel? Was she in Coventry at the time (which is what I understood) - if so, why was the cake called "Brompton"?

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

Well I just picked up an undated book of her poetry in a free pile after a garage sale....but that is neither here nor there as it does not mention cake

t

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association