• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Houston] Gelato Capitol of Texas?

Jay Francis

What gives with Houston? After several decades of having to make my own authentic Italian style gelato, and sounding like a broken record telling people that "No, Dolce e Freddo is not gelato, it's some sort of watery French style ice cream" we have yet another excellent artisan-quality gelateria. Gelato Blu has opened on Memorial near the Biba's and Otto's. It's very very good. The two partners spent much time in Venezia to learn traditional methods (e.g. egg custard based for several flavors). They have a good selection of flavors. My current favorite is the Italian Rocky Road and my wife thought the Passion Fruit to be spectacular. They also import coffee from one of the smaller Italian companies, Manuel.

They offer a Liege style gaufrette (waffle). This is a thick, heavy, yeast based dough with pearl sugar distributed throughout that melts when the waffle bakes. This style of waffle is an acquired taste but I can vouch for the authenticity of their recipe.

So, now Houston has several so-so to mediocre gelaterias, Nundini, Paciugo, Picomolo, several coffee shops that feature gelato and two superior gelaterias in Gelato Blu and Raindrop Chocolate.

Edited by Jay Francis (log)