• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Drumsticks coating

Saffy

I usually avoid buying chicken drumsticks because I invariably end up looking at them in the fridge and nothing creative springs to mind.

That is exactly the situation I find myself in at the moment, with 8 of them sitting in my fridge waiting to be prepared for tonights dinner.

Does anyone have a recipe/ideas for a quick but tasty way of coating them to fry or bake ?

Any other ideas for preparation are very welcome.

Chop up scallions and basil in equal amounts, add some lemon juice, salt & pepper and coat the chicken. Plop in a baking pan, drizzle with olive oil and bake at 425º or so for 45 minutes or so. (This is from 'Under the Tuscan Sun' and it's really good.)

Mix a good spicy mustard with honey, soy and a little olive oil. Brush on the drumsticks and either bake in a hottish oven or broil.

Pan-fried chix legs are one of the most variable foods I make. All you have to do is vary the flour and the seasonings (and then, of course, the sides). All of these suggestions assume that you first let the legs sit in acidulated water, and don't dry them completely (so the coating will stick):

Instead of seasoned (AP) flour, use chickpea flour with ground fenugreek and other Indian-ish spices. Serve with basmati rice and chutneys.

Coat with masa harina; serve with salsa, rice-and-beans, avocado, etc.

Add some soy and/or fish sauce to the water; coat with water chestnut flour; serve with Asian sides.

Und so weiter -- and so on.

Thanks for these! I am going to make my way slowly through each suggestion until we have tried them all. Tonight I made the honey,mustard soy sauce and olive oil suggestion and it was really good :)

It tasted a lot like the marinade I make for chicken nibbles with honey, soy sauce and cold tea.

As I try each one I will come back and post.

Thanks again :)

When I get bored of the typical breading + seasoning + drumb sticks, I turn to a marinade I usually use on chicken wings. I use a Jamaican Jerk Rub, which is this thick green mixture that when cooked yields almost a light crust on the chicken pieces.

I don't have the exact recipe handy but it usually involves, onions, celantro (lots of it), all spice, thyme, cinnamon, fresh ground pepper, green onions, salt, nutmeg and peppers. Feel free to try different peppers, I started with lots of jalapenos but now use a mixture of habaneros(sp) and jalepenos.

Best on a BBQ but I imagine you can adapt it to a broil easily enough.

A spice rub consisting of equal parts pan roasted corriander and brown mustard seed (toast until the mustard seeds pop in a dry pan on med to med-high heat) ground with black pepper, salt and cayanne to taste is good too. Just dry the legs, rub on the spices and bake as usual.

regards,

trillium

This is what I do with drumsticks and thighs. Season and sear on all sides in some olive oil then take out of the pan and put in as much peeld garlic whole cloves as you like (I like a WHOLE LOT of them), saute for a few seconds then deglaze the pan with some white wine or even some water add the chicken back in there with lemon juice to taste and the juiced lemon halves, cover and in the oven for about 30 minutes. This is a variation on my moms lebanese lemon chicken. It tastes divine especially the garlic cloves which are so sweet and savory after being cooked in the oven just mash one clove with your fork and smear on a piece of chicken right before you pop it in your mouth.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog