• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vietnamese Sandwiches

fedelst

Earlier this year the Chinese grocery on the NW corner of St Laurent and de la Gauchetiere burned to the ground. The loss of another Chinese grocery is not as sad as the loss of the Vietnamese sandwich counter in the back. If anyone remembers this place or was a regular client, I am sure that you can attest to the fact that she made the best of the best. Truly, where else can you get as good a sandwich, and at $2.25, it can't be beat for value.

Since the loss of the building, I have been searching for a reincarnation of this counter. Yet, neither the sandwich lady or her husband have reappeared...from what I have found. Yes, there are many other places, but have you tried them??? :blink: Blech.... most are plain disgusting, or will have you running for the john.

If anyone has found a reincarnation of this counter, or has a good reliable and tasty place they can suggest, I need to get my fix....

Edited by fedelst (log)

Veni. Vidi. Voro.

Earlier this year the Chinese grocery on the NW corner of St Laurent and de la Gauchetiere burned to the ground. The loss of another Chinese grocery is not as sad as the loss of the Vietnamese sandwich counter in the back. If anyone remembers this place or was a regular client, I am sure that you can attest to the fact that she made the best of the best. Truly, where else can you get as good a sandwich, and at $2.25, it can't be beat for value.

Since the loss of the building, I have been searching for a reincarnation of this counter. Yet, neither the sandwich lady or her husband have reappeared...from what I have found. Yes, there are many other places, but have you tried them???  :blink:  Blech.... most are plain disgusting, or will have you running for the john. 

If anyone has found a reincarnation of this counter, or has a good reliable and tasty place they can suggest, I need to get my fix....

I'm with you on that once, I loved those sandwiches. I'd love to see her resurface. I tried the place across the street and north a little (the really cramped place), but it's just not as good, and sometimes the service is so long that you wait 15 minutes to get one sandwich. Sigh...

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker