• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lyme Regis or local restaurants

It's my mum's 70th and we're hoping to organise a suprise birthday party, ideally somewhere simple and unpretentious but good. There'll be a crowd of 20 - 30 converging from across Europe. We have been thinking about the River Café in Bridport which has been a bit of a family special occasion place for years and years, but my mum is very aware of 'how expensive' it's become, and she'll just end up worrying about what it will cost us instead of enjoying herself. Maybe we'll go for that anyway but I thought it's worth investigating potential alternatives.

For example The Broad Street Restaurant in Lyme Regis sounds promising - has anyone been there recently?

My parents live in Ilminster so the other consideration is somewhere not too far away.

I've been living in France for the last four years so am very out of touch; any thoughts and ideas would be tremendously appreciated.

I can't find a link- but what about The Fox Inn, Corscombe? We have had many stays in the past - although it's under new ownership now. I think the chef is the same. I also seem to remember a huge oak table in the conservatory, which may suit your Mother's party.

It's mentioned in this Guardian link.

Edited by Bapi (log)