• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizzabella

joiei

I had lunch today at Pizzabella on Baltimore in the Crossroads. I was told it is owned by the same folks as 1924 Main. I had the Proscuitto pizza with the arugula salad on top. Excellent, thin thin crust, nice flavors, good service (I was told the lines have been staggering but I was there early which might explain why I got in quickly). Tonight is probably going to be a beast, it is First Friday and the weather is nice so the arty tarty crowds will be alllll over the place. I am heading over to the American Royal to see what I can scam. So far a great birthday.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I had lunch there yesterday, Neapolitan-style proscuitto pizza and a warm calamari salad. The salad was a standout, cannelloni beans with sauteed arugula and un-fried squid. Companion had chorizo pizza with pesto base, very tasty. There are two wood ovens they accomplish everything in; I did not see a stove top.

Patio doors were wide open, giving a outdoor cafe atmosphere.

Two minor complaints: They do not cut the proscuitto into smaller bite size pieces, so you get a whole slice with a bite. Second, they only have flavored iced tea from a bottle, not the real thing.

I'll be back, this is an excellent addition to the downtown scene.

JB

... thin thin crust...

How was the crust's flavor on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being bland and 10 being "I left all the plain bits of crust for the end"?

How thin are we talking? Almost like a cracker or thick enough to be a little chewy in the center?

If you've been to Italy before how does it compare to pizzas there?

Man, so many new and interesting places in KC to try. A little more than two months until I'm back for good. Let the countdown begin :)

Frog

Happened by the store last night. Wow. It looked fantastic (the facade). The expansive windows/doors/wall(?) of glass was opened out onto the cool night. Amidst a rather dark day-time commercial spaces, the restaurant POP'ed in the night. It almost looked - well - ethereally out of place - in a good way. Seriously - it was as if a UFO had landed in a rather bland landscape.

I really wish I had my camera with me - I would have taken a picture of the restuarant. Pity I had already eaten, though I was tempted to stop in for something. Will have to return.

Calamari salad?! Sound promising... website, anyone? I haven't found one... but then again, I haven't been looking very hard.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I've never been to Italy but it's what you would get there. Not cracker thin, not bready, just the classic Neapolitan-style. I think there's some sort of certification for this style from Italy, maybe someone can clarify.

Pizzabella is a winner, try it out.

JB

I've never been to Italy but it's what you would get there. Not cracker thin, not bready, just the classic Neapolitan-style. I think there's some sort of certification for this style from Italy, maybe someone can clarify.

Pizzabella is a winner, try it out.

JB

I'll definitely try it out. As far as I know there is a pizza classification within the DOP (Denominazione Di Origine Protetta) classification that is used for olive oil and basalmic as well. A much better explanation than I could ever come up with at this link: http://www.strenafoods.com/ItalianFood/Den...e_Protetta.aspx

Frog

We went for a late afternoon pizza today. Very, very enjoyable. The menu looked so good we decided to order brussels sprouts with a hazelnut vinaigrette and cauliflower gratin. Loved them both. Just the right size to share both. The flavors were quite intense and nicely balanced. We followed with a margherita pizza and a leek pizza with pancetta and goat cheese. The crust was wonderful as were the toppings. We brought half of each home. I love some char on the pizza crust and it was there. All of the ingredients tasted high quality and nothing was overly (or "underly" :laugh: ) salty. Just right! Our service was good. We were there quite early, before 5pm, there was only one other table, but the staff was working on a sizable to go order of over twenty pizzas.

The design of the restaurant is casual, but very nicely laid out with great lighting and comfortable chairs and benches. Just a really cool place.

Edited by maftoul (log)

Heaven help me, now I have a hunger for Pizza and Pizzabella is a 4 hour drive. It will not work.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Seven of us ate at Pizzabella last night before the Wilco show and loved it. I tried the previously mentioned crispy brusselsprouts with the hazelnuts, leek pizza and also the potted pork and green apple crostini (which was just OK, a little bland). They have a lot of regional Italian wines that I hadn't heard of. Overall it was a great experience and I'll probably go back.

website, anyone?  I haven't found one... but then again, I haven't been looking very hard.

Here's the temporary website with menu, hours, and directions only.

http://www.kansascitymenus.com/pizzabella/

"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her" - W.C. Fields

Thanks, The Hopry

http://thehopry.com/

website, anyone?  I haven't found one... but then again, I haven't been looking very hard.

Here's the temporary website with menu, hours, and directions only.

http://www.kansascitymenus.com/pizzabella/

My wife and I went in last night for dinner. The front window doors were open and it was absolutely beautiful outside. Nice touch. The food (I'm afraid) was just average, very similar to Spin! The service was good and the atmosphere was above average, but nothing amazing. The food is very reasonably priced. $10 for Pizza and $6 for antipasta. If you just want a new place to go in town, it's worth at least one visit. They'll have to really step up the flavors (particularly the seasoning) if they want to stay in it for the long haul.

"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her" - W.C. Fields

Thanks, The Hopry

http://thehopry.com/

• 3 months later...

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has gone recently. I believe the online menu is still the same as it's opening menu. I'll be curious to know when/if his offerings change.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I'm a cook at 1924 main, pizza bella is one of our restaurants and i am pretty sure that the menu has changed since opening. I just see that they still haven't updated the websites menu. I'll ask about that.

I'm a cook at 1924 main, pizza bella is one of our restaurants and i am pretty sure that the menu has changed since opening. I just see that they still haven't updated the websites menu. I'll ask about that.

Thanks, that'd be - er - peachy. :wink:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

dug up a little info today during work for you, UE.

Rob says he wants to introduce a build your own pizza style to the menu, something like three different sauces, different types of cheezes and toppings to choose from. im not sure if there will be a choice in crusts. he is still going to have the signature pizzas, i am pretty sure a few of them will change though. I think he is going to put an anchovy pizza, im excited for that because its my favorite pizza topping. No word as of yet as to when this will come into action, but all i can say is.. soon.

ps, i dont know if you've tried the gorgonzola potato radicchio pizza but thats my favorite right now, it's great.

dug up a little info today during work for you, UE.

Rob says he wants to introduce a build your own pizza style to the menu, something like three different sauces, different types of cheezes and toppings to choose from. im not sure if there will be a choice in crusts. he is still going to have the signature pizzas, i am pretty sure a few of them will change though. I think he is going to put an anchovy pizza, im excited for that because its my favorite pizza topping. No word as of yet as to when this will come into action, but all i can say is.. soon.

ps, i dont know if you've tried the gorgonzola potato radicchio pizza but thats my favorite right now, it's great.

We had the potato pizza recently. It was very, very good. Just the right amount of everything, with the perfect balance of savory and salty. We also had the mixed green salad which was quite nice, but would have been easier to eat if the hazelnuts would have been chopped or even halved. They kept flying off the plate!

We will look forward to anchovies. :smile:

Edited by maftoul (log)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Had the margharita and a side of brussel sprouts. Both were excellent in their own ways. I was almost stuffed just eating a bowl of brussel sprouts but I was able to enjoy my entire pizza as well :blush:. Goes well with a Boulevard Wheat too.

Service was friendly

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

• 3 weeks later...

I've circled back to pizza bella recently a few times. The menu is slightly different. Most (if not all) of the opening menu pizzas are still offered. I *think* that the "Potato" and "Egg" are new. You also have the option of making your own, now.

The antipasti list is now shorter. Brussels sprouts are still on the menu; I think it's being branded as their "signature" antipasto. There's also an "Antipasto of the Day," which has been different every time I've been there.

The big news, (if there is any to be had) is that pizza bella is now featuring a "Nightly Special." I've seen a couple of these come out of the kitchen, and they've all looked great - especially the whole-roasted branzino on Fridays.

I don't think there's much hope for the desserts here; the options remain quite limited.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 1 month later...

Pizzabella is definitely becoming a favorite weekly go to place for me.

There's not too much to complain about with friendly service, good beer, tasty share-friendly food, an open window atmosphere, and reasonable prices.

So far I like the Leek Pizza and the Chorizo pizza. I've heard people complain about the lack of cheese but I appreciate Pizzabella's pizza for what it is and not a comparison to a conventional pizza place (the style is similar to what I've had in Italy, if that matters). The other day I had an awesome short rib sandwich as the antipasti of the day and another time having a trout salad that truly expressed clean flavors with flavorful chunky flakes of cooked trout.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

Pizzabella is definitely becoming a favorite weekly go to place for me.

There's not too much to complain about with friendly service, good beer, tasty share-friendly food, an open window atmosphere, and reasonable prices.

So far I like the Leek Pizza and the Chorizo pizza. I've heard people complain about the lack of cheese but I appreciate Pizzabella's pizza for what it is and not a comparison to a conventional pizza place (the style is similar to what I've had in Italy, if that matters). The other day I had an awesome short rib sandwich as the antipasti of the day and another time having a trout salad that truly expressed clean flavors with flavorful chunky flakes of cooked trout.

Is that smoked trout, by any chance? I've found their daily antipasti to be the highlight on numerous occasions.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account