• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Liquor Stores in New Orleans?

Dan Smith

Greetings,

Well I'm back on the road and I'm headed down to New Orleans for a trade show. Of course I will bring back some rum, but need to know where to got to find a strong selection of Premium rums.

Any suggestions? I'm looking to stock up on a few more Pampero Aniversarios and a couple new ones.

Cheers

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

James A. Michener - Caribbean

Thanks for the hot tip Kristian. They are only a couple of kilometers from where the my trade show will be. Awesome. I will call them today and get their list of premium rum. Martin Wine Cellar actually has two locations, I will try both and see if they have the same selection

Cheers

P.s.: Did you open your Cruzan Single Barrel YET? If not, do so this weekend, you will not be disappointed. It's great rum, in my top 5.

Dan

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

Martin's in New Orleans has a better than average selection, not to be overlooked. They are actively adding new rums to their list. I usually try to check several stores especially in ethnic neighborhoods but I know time is always at a premium when you are traveling on business.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Dan, I have yet to open that bottle. I was going to, last weekend, but I got the flu and did not want to waste the good stuff to my numb taste buds... :sad:

BTW: We actually took a limousine to get to the Martin's from the centre. It was quite cool, I have to say... :cool: (and made for a good story when we got back to Finland... :laugh: )

Martin has two stores, I've only been in the New Orleans store and don't know if the Metaire store is larger but I would assume the New Orleans store is better stocked with spirits since that is where the spirits buyer works. Unfortunately, their website doesn't list their rum selection, yet.

Happy Shopping.

Is there anything in particular that you are looking for?

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

I just called the NO Martin store, you were correct Ed, they have several more rums than the Metairie store. Spoke with the buyer. He is extremely knowledgeable and patiently answered all of my questions. He has just about every premium rum you generally see on the US market at fairly good prices, like:

• Pampero Aniversario at $22.99
  • Westerhall Plantation at $19.99
  • Flor de Cana 12 and 21 YO - 21YO @ $49.99
  • El Dorado 12 and 15 YO - 15 YO at $25.99
  • ... and many more...

He said that he has pretty much everything except Zacapa and Pryrat XO, but he has the pistol and Cask 23. No Barcelo Emperador or Grand Anejo either.

Ed, I was looking to pick up 2 Pampero Aniversarios and 2 new premium rums that I do not have in my current collection. I will list the premiums that I have, and maybe you can direct me as to what I am missing and should give a try:

• Appleton 21 Year Old
  • Cruzan Single Barrel Estate Rum
  • Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva
  • Doorly's XO Fine Old Barbados Rum
  • El Dorado Special Reserve 15 YO
  • Flor De Cana Centenario 12 Year Old
  • Grand Blason Anejo Especial
  • Matusalem Grand Reserva
  • Matusalem Anejo Superior (Cuban) - Bottle has maybe one or two drops in it - I NEED MORE
  • Mount Gay Extra Old
  • Pamparo Aniversario
  • Pyrat XO Reserve Planters Gold
  • Pyrat Pistol
  • Santa Teresa 1796 Solera
  • Santiago De Cuba Ron Anejo (Cuban) - I'm dreaming of the day I'll get my hands on the Ron Santiago 45 Aniversario
  • Zacapa Ron Centenario
  • Zaya Grand Reserva

Thanks for the help.

Dan

Nice list. Let me preface my answer by saying that I would pick a rum according to availability to me. For example if I could find a bottle of Santa Teresa Antiguo 1796 I'd buy it, because I haven't seen it around recently and I don't have any right now.

If it isn't available locally, or if it is cheaper, I'd pick up a bottle of St James Extra Old or their Hors d' Age, or both, if you want to have some good rhum agricole behind your bar.

As for the Flor de Cana 21, I've had a number of emails about this one. Before you buy a 21 year old rum take the bottle out of the nice blue bag and read the label. Unless I was too drunk to read, the last time I looked at the bottle, it said 15 years old and not 21 years old. I believe the 21 refers to a 21st anniversary. What the anniversary is celebrating I don't know.

If you're obsessed with the El Dorado 15 year old and covet that deep color and deeper, smoky oak flavor you might be disappointed with the 12 year old. I drink both. But they're two very different rums. In fact I'm going to take a break and pour a glass of that 12 year old right now.

Another thing to consider is some Appleton rums other than the most expensive. For example I drink their VX regularly. It's good rum and a good value. I always like to have something I can mix around or to pour for friends that appreciate seeing a nice selection of rums more than the rum itself.

Barcelo Imperial or Emperador is great but the others are good as well.

Barbancourt 8 year old, aka 5 star, is always on my list of must-have rums.

There's a lot of talk about Cruzan's Single Barrel, but I make sure I have some Estate Diamond around as well.

Happy shopping.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

Thanks for the guidance Ed. Where do I start, there are too many rums and too much to say.

I can get the Barbancout rums here in Montreal (both the 3 and the 5 star) and Appleton V/X, Extra (which is called the 12 YO in the States) and the 21 YO. For some reason I can find anything that I like in the V/X and can't finish a glass. As for the 12 YO, I don't like it neat and always mix it and there are simply too many other rums that are better (like the before mention Cruzan 5 YO, even the 2 YO, Smuggler's Cove Dark, Brugal Anejo...).

As for St-James, well that and Meyers are completely at the bottom of my list. Albeit I've only tried the youngest called Amber. Ever since that, I’ve been so reluctant to try the aged ones. Just like the 10 YO Meyers.

The buyer at Martins that I spoke to said that the Flor de Cana 21 YO is actually a 15 YO. You are right on that one, it would appear that you had all of your senses, 2 points to you again Ed. I like the 7 YO and the 12 YO but only as a rum and coke, especially the 7 YO. They have a particular after taste straight that I do not care for.

I love the El Dorado 15 YO and it’s in my top 5 rums that I drink neat. The famous buyer at Martins also told me the same you did for the 12 and 15 YO discrepancies. Here said, as you have, that they are very different and that he likes them both and was very acquainted with them. The 12 YO is supposedly much sweeter.

I think that I will pick up 2x Pamperos to refill my stock and a 12 YO El Dorado to add to the collection and a Westerhall Plantation to give it a try. I’m intrigued about this rum after reading the locked thread.

Ciao

P.S.: How was the El Dorado 12 YO last night Ed? And I should have the information that you requested soon. I have not forgotten, just busy.

Dan

Ed,

I forgot to mention that if you are ever in the Greater Fort-Lauderdale/Miami area I found Santa Teresa at Miami Liquors - (305) 643-5311 which is only 3 miles from the Miami International Airport a few months ago. I also saw it at an Albertsons (954) 435-8000 on the corner of Pines Blvd. (820) and N. University Dr. (817) in Pembroke Pines, FL. I bought it at the Albertsons for $24.99. It was a little cheaper at the other place, but I was working my way North and could not go back.

The best rum selection that I have come across in the States in by far in the Miami area and the best prices would have to be in Tulsa, OK

Cheers

Marc at Martin’s is quite knowledgeable and is looking to expand his collection.

First let me clear up the confusion about Appleton VX and their 12 Year Old which they call Appleton Estate Extra Jamaica Rum. These aren’t the same rum.

You can see more online at Appleton Family of Rums Just click on the different rums. I drink the VX mixed.

I think you'll like the 12 year old but it is much lighter than the El Dorado 15 year old which is almost too heavy except for a serious after dinner drink.

And speaking of lighter aged rums, I've been drinking more of the Doorly's XO rum from Barbados. It reminds me of a light Scotch, and is easy in the morning.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

Theres an Appleton 15? I thought it went from VX, to Extra/12 and then to 21?

Or are you saying the minimum age of the 21 is a 15?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the El Dorado 15 yo, and the El Dorado 12 yo, and not the Appleton, but I clearly see how anyone could have been confused.

(In case anyone wonders, I've edited my previous post)

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com