• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bella Pizza

• 3 weeks later...
Any word from the Kansas City crew on Bella Pizza?

I had lunch there yesterday - alone, so I didn't get to try much. I ordered a simple Margherita. It was good but not a "classic" margherita as it used a tomatoe sauce rathern than slices and also featured roasted garlic. It was delicious - don't get me wrong - just not what would be recognized as a Margherita in the mother country. Oh, and I also had a wonderfully crunchy, fennel-y breadstick. They weren't like grisini, more square and crunchier, almost like savory biscotti.

The antipasti looked great but, again, I needed back-up. I'll defintely return.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Hi Moosnsqrl, so glad that your home safe and sound. How was the Holiday? Are you going to post about it? Or am I going to have to come up and treat you to Justus drugstore to get the details?

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Hi Moosnsqrl,  so glad that your home safe and sound.  How was the Holiday?  Are you going to post about it?  Or am I going to have to come up and treat you to Justus drugstore to get the details?

I don't know about moosnsqrl, but I've been twice to pizzabella and I'd be happy to divulge my experience in exchange for a dinner at Justus. :biggrin:

I've had two pizzas, both good, but not quite what I was expecting. I think he needs to work on the crust - it's a tad chewier than the best Neapolitan-style pizzas I have enjoyed.

I've had almost everything all of the antipasti. The brussels sprouts would be good if their looked/tasted either "Crispy" or "Roasted" (not sure why they've listed it twice on their menu - each time with a different descriptor). They'd be even better if they didn't come soaking in a pool of that flavorful vinaigrette. The dried cranberries he's put in with them and the hazelnuts saves the antipasto from being a complete disappointer.

Generally, I found the portion to price ratio on the antipasti a bit off. The mixed greens salad is generous and worth the $6 - a fresh bed of mixed greens, mostly young arugula tossed with a generous mix of dried cranberries, but nearly everything else I had was questionable. The broccolini was very good (very spicy), and there was a nice portion, but I'm not sure it was worth $6.

One thing I found odd - the same suspiciously pre-packaged-looking grated Pecorino Romano blankets every antipasto I've tried - from the sweet potatoes/butternut squash (which was really good, but definitely not worth $6) to the calamari salad (which is worth the price - but a tad sea-briney, for those who fear the fishy flavors). While I'm of the cheese-makes-everything-better school, it seems a bit flip - as if it's just tossed on for lack of other, more creative or authentic way of presenting the dish. I know this may sound like a nit pick, but it just seems that Dalzell's gone through a lot of trouble getting everything "right" (i.e. authentic), and then he pulls stuff like this (and what Judy alluded to on the Margherita pizza) that makes someone wonder.

He's also brought the 1924 Main charcuterie and cheese program over. I think he needs to shave the hams a little thinner... my speck was way too thick - like tugging on jerky... the accompanying crostini and small dressed salad is nice.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I guess we just lucked out. The brussel's sprouts were indeed crispy. None of our antipasti had showers of romano. The brussel's sprouts and hazelnuts didn't have any cheese on it at all.

That does make me wonder if it is all a work in progress. I've talked to numerous people who ordered the same things we did and all had different descriptions of the food.

Not having had pizza in Italy, I must say that we liked the pizza and crust we've had thus far.

The prices were far less than anything comparable we've had in Minneapolis, Chicago, St. Louis or Seattle.

We've paid $8-9 dollars for similar food in potiions about the same size or smaller (112 Eatery comes to mind in MSP). Seems like Pizza Bella may want to work on some consistency.

We've paid $8-9 dollars for similar food in potiions about the same size or smaller (112 Eatery comes to mind in MSP). Seems like Pizza Bella may want to work on some consistency.

Well, they were pretty consistent over my two visits - the Pecorino Romano came on every antipasti, the hazelnuts showed up on most, as did the dried cranberries - which even appeared in the calamari salad - not that it wasn't unwelcomed there... just sayin'....

I'll admit, the pizzas are a much better value than the antipasti. Some of the meat-bearing ones could easily be shared by two. The ingredients and produce are very fresh. I especially love the tuft of baby arugula they top some of their pizzas with (like the "Prosciutto") - now that's authentic.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I have only had a couple of differant kinds of pizza there and the potted pork as an appitizer. I had a very good experiance each time that I have went. Though I have not been to Italy to compare, Pizza Bella has the best crust of anywhere that I have been to in this city. Simple fresh ingrediants and crunchy/chewy crust makes this Chef happy. :biggrin: I will give them a pass on inconsistancies here and there for now. They have only been open a month!! I am just happy that there is a new place open on Sundays. It is my only real day off and there are only a handful of places open after brunch hours.

It is easier to change a menu than a growing season.

I will give them a pass on inconsistancies here and there for now.  They have only been open a month!!
Echo that. :wink:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

We enjoyed our server very much. He was very professional and polished in a relaxed, unforced way. When we went the first time Pizza Bella had only been open 2 weeks. Having been on opening crews of several restaurants, I would hope that people do give them several months to work out any kinks.

I agree with Big Country. I work in the food world, too, and was excited to see they are open Sunday evenings.

Does anyone know how often the menu changes?

Does anyone know how often the menu changes?

The nice laminated menu doesn't suggest a change too soon... as Big Country points out, they're barely a month open. I don't necessarily think the pizzas needed to be switched out, but I can definitely see some of the antipasti rotating out in the spring, if not a tad sooner: brussels sprouts, butternut squash, and sweet potatoes.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I have only had a couple of differant kinds of pizza there and the potted pork as an appitizer.  I had a very good experiance each time that I have went.  Though I have not been to Italy to compare, Pizza Bella has the best crust of anywhere that I have been to in this city.  Simple fresh ingrediants and crunchy/chewy crust makes this Chef happy.  :biggrin:  I will give them a pass on inconsistancies here and there for now.  They have only been open a month!!  I am just happy that there is a new place open on Sundays.  It is my only real day off and there are only a handful of places open after brunch hours.

I wanted to try the potted pork but it was that OR pizza, being alone.

I heard Rob (or one of the servers, my mind is going) explaining the presence of both brussels sprout items. I think the roasted will disappear and the crispy/cruncy will remain after what was a type-o. Looks like Chef Rob is online - perhaps he'll confirm or refute and answer the question about how often the menu will change?

And one more note - the next day leftover half of my margherita was delicious and I kind of factor that in with my overall take on pizza, since I can never eat a whole one. I also really like the flavor of the olive oil they're using FWIW.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Flag down: can an administrator please change the title of this thread, rightfully, to "Pizza Bella" - the correct name of this restaurant?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account