• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why can't we just do things the easy way

Tri2Cook

What is it that makes us say "it would be really simple if I just did this... so I'll do that instead"?

I ran in the CIBC Run for the Cure last weekend and, in an attempt to gather more sponsors, each $10 of donation got the person one entry in a draw for a cake. I asked the winner what kind of cake she wanted and she said "chocolate". I asked if she wanted to elaborate and she said it didn't matter as long as chocolate was involved. After doing a little sniffing around and casual questioning I discovered that her favorite candy bar is Butterfinger so I decided to go with that idea for the cake.

Sooo... obvious simple solution: crush up some Butterfingers to layer in the cake.

But nooooo. Much too easy. It would be quick, easy and perfectly acceptable... and we can't have that, can we?

So I decided to make my own Butterfinger filling. There has to be a recipe, every idea I think of has already been done when I research it. Nope, couldn't find one. Lots of references to using crushed Butterfingers but nothing on making it myself. So I went to work and finally got a result I was happy with. It doesn't have the flaky layers of a Butterfinger bar but it has a very similar flavor and chew texture so I'm going to go with it. I cooled it in the same cake pans I baked the cake layers in thinking I'd just sandwich one between each layer but I don't think it's going to cut nicely so I may end up having to crumble it anyway... so why didn't I just crumble Butterfingers in the first place? :blink:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

What is it that makes us say "it would be really simple if I just did this... so I'll do that instead"?

I ran in the CIBC Run for the Cure last weekend and, in an attempt to gather more sponsors, each $10 of donation got the person one entry in a draw for a cake. I asked the winner what kind of cake she wanted and she said "chocolate". I asked if she wanted to elaborate and she said it didn't matter as long as chocolate was involved. After doing a little sniffing around and casual questioning I discovered that her favorite candy bar is Butterfinger so I decided to go with that idea for the cake.

Sooo... obvious simple solution: crush up some Butterfingers to layer in the cake.

But nooooo. Much too easy. It would be quick, easy and perfectly acceptable... and we can't have that, can we?

So I decided to make my own Butterfinger filling. There has to be a recipe, every idea I think of has already been done when I research it. Nope, couldn't find one. Lots of references to using crushed Butterfingers but nothing on making it myself. So I went to work and finally got a result I was happy with. It doesn't have the flaky layers of a Butterfinger bar but it has a very similar flavor and chew texture so I'm going to go with it. I cooled it in the same cake pans I baked the cake layers in thinking I'd just sandwich one between each layer but I don't think it's going to cut nicely so I may end up having to crumble it anyway... so why didn't I just crumble Butterfingers in the first place? :blink:

Because:

a) You are a caring and creative person

b) Your cooking/baking is in part a reflection of who you are

c) If you hadn't done it that way, you probably wouldn't be a member of eG :wink:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Big Hug to you!! So been there.

That's like me spending beaucoups of crunch time scoring (cutting in advance) a brownie bottom cheesecake and sliding it all back together to decorate it.

We could set up a t-shirt kiosk. :laugh: The been there done that t-shirt thing.

Then, if you're like me......after having spent 17 years in the pastry business, and somewhat cynical and burned out, you've reached the "Aw, f*ck it" Phase and you just crush up the Butterfingers. :laugh:

i'll one-up you (not that i've done this, but the thread made me realize that this is what i'd do)...

buy the already crushed up butterfingers (i'm sure there's a source) and use those! :raz:

Then, if you're like me......after having spent 17 years in the pastry business, and somewhat cynical and burned out, you've reached the "Aw, f*ck it" Phase and you just crush up the Butterfingers. :laugh:

So I do have something to look forward to! Cool!

The end result really wasn't that much trouble. A syrup of sugar, glucose and butter with vanilla, milk powder and confectioner's sugar kneaded in until smooth. I broke that up in a pan with an equal weight of peanut butter over low heat and stirred until it was smooth and thickened. Once the peanut butter is picked up completely it becomes fairly stiff and no longer sticky. Then I pressed it into buttered pans and let it cool. Like I said, no flakiness but pretty similar to (taste testers said better than) Butterfinger filling otherwise.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Well, like the rest of you, I like the whole food chemistry thing and love going through the process. Additionally, by making things ourselves, we can control the salt and we can also get away from high fructose corn syrup whenever the chemistry allows.

Here is a site that has a recipe for a peanut butter candy that is very similar to the Butterfinger center.

I have made this and know it works. I do the whole process on a well scrubbed countertop. Well, except cooking the syrup.

Aunt Maye's Peanut Butter Candy

Thanks! I'm happy with the result I got but I'm always interested in knowing how someone else went about doing what I'm trying to do. I made a second batch and cooked it to a lower temp so I have two discs that are crunchy and two that taste the same but are softer (can be sliced with the cake). I sandwiched the softer discs in chocolate buttercream mixed with pieces of the crunchy discs between the layers of chocolate cake, crumb coated it with white buttercream, wrapped it and stuck it in the fridge. I'll do my attempt at making it look good (keeping in mind that cake and art don't usually appear in the same sentence with me) tomorrow morning.

This is where I'd wonder if the bit's will still be crunchy in the morning. This candy turning soft thing has happened to me before, but then it was a good thing, so I just noted the softening effect of icing on hard candy for future reference. Let us know???

Yeah, I was concerned about that possibility as well but I decided to risk it. The recipient knows her cake is the test model for an idea (but doesn't know what) and is excited about that. Worst case, they'll be the same texture as the softer batch. Both the crispy and softer versions got the thumbs-up from my trusty taste-test volunteers (two of them said if I'd dip it in chocolate they'd buy them from me) so I'm ok with that disaster if it happens.

Ok, done and delivered. Next time I'll raffle off an eight course dinner or something easy like that... this cake decorating stuff is frustrating! I'm going to post the pic and accept all the laughs (and tips) anybody wants to throw my way because this was my first serious attempt at decorating a cake with icing. I've never had the interest or patience to decorate them in the past but the people of egullet have a way of inspiring me to try things. My idea of decorating has always been covering 'em in buttercream. If "fancy" was required I'd roll some fondant, toss it over and make a couple easy pastillage or chocolate clay roses for the top. It didn't turn out all that great but the recipient was happy and I learned a few things in the process (like: I'm never doing that sh#t again :wacko: ).

gallery_53467_5170_811.jpg

The smudgy area to the left of my ugly attempt at drawing a bow was an area I should have left alone but tried to smooth anyway (after everything was done) and made worse. The top is angled intentionally but I didn't angle it enough so it looks more like a lopsided cake than an intentional feature.

I think it's ador able--has a Cinderelly look to it with those colors.

I totally thought the angle was intentional even before I read it.

It's too well done to be a crooked cake.

However you said, "(like: I'm never doing that sh#t again )."

:rolleyes::laugh:

You'll be back! It's an addiction.

You did it because YOU enjoy cooking and baking. Doing it that way gives YOU pleasure.

And there is nothing wrong with that.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I think it's ador able--has a  Cinderelly look to it with those colors.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad the recipient (she's 19 and very girly, thus the color choice) liked it but I'm realistic about my (lack of) cake decorating skills and, for the most part, ok with it. I'm going to have to develop a lot more patience if I ever try this again, the air around me was pretty blue while I was doing this one.

I think it's a great first effort! Seeing it and reading the back story tells me You'll be Back!

It's like a sickness almost, you just can't not do it. The pastry bug has bitten and there is no cure!!!!! :biggrin:

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

I think it's a great first effort! Seeing it and reading the back story tells me You'll be Back!

It's like a sickness almost, you just can't not do it. The pastry bug has bitten and there is no cure!!!!! :biggrin:

Thanks for the encouragement but actually the pastry bug bit me a long time ago. It's the cake decorating bug that I've managed to avoid... and I don't think it got me this time either. If anything, it's strengthened my resolve to not add that to my list of things I do. I think cake artists are awesome but I don't think the desire to become one is going to happen with me.