• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rugby food for the World Cup

A while back we had great fun with what one should eat during and after the Tour de France so I'd like to know what you would consider an ideal meal for Saturday night that would, so to speak, cover all the bases.

Having had daughters who are good cooks in both countries I can point to some common dishes: lamb, mussels, apples and liquids (esp Sauvignon Blanc and for ruggers - beer). But I suppose we should bow to the visitors (although in Cardiff they're more like the home team) and have some of those huge chunky fried potatoes and kiwi fruit too. What am I missing? (I'm ashamed to say I'm actually having take-out pizza with Corbieres.)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Linguini in cuttlefish ink, followed by blueberry fool.

Very good Pti; it also sounds tasty. I assume the linguini is itself made from cuttlefish ink. Now I suppose we could also add an appetizer of hard tack with kangaroo rilettes about 3 PM with a pint-aa.

John Talbott

Very good Pti; it also sounds tasty. I assume the linguini is itself made from cuttlefish ink. Now I suppose we could also add an appetizer of hard tack with kangaroo rilettes about 3 PM with a pint-aa.

No, in my imagination the linguini is white linguini and the ink is in the sauce. There is no point in preparing black linguini with squid or cuttlefish ink sauce; better pick a different sauce in that case.

It could also be chipirones en su tinta, perfect for a post-haka dinner.

Edited by Ptipois (log)

I had lunch yesterday with a rugbyman who confirmed what my Kiwi ex-son-in-law rugbyman told me, that the War Haka was a pretty bloody invitation in days of yore, so maybe some tomato paste/sauce would not be a bad idea.

No, in my imagination the linguini is white linguini and the ink is in the sauce. There is no point in preparing black linguini with squid or cuttlefish ink sauce; better pick a different sauce in that case.

It could also be chipirones en su tinta, perfect for a post-haka dinner.

John Talbott

Suspect that after the match (especially should France win) some nice black crow might be roasted and eaten.

If no crow is available roast coq might do (if France lose)

Now I suppose we could also add an appetizer of hard tack with kangaroo rilettes about 3 PM with a pint-aa.

Wow, who would'ave thunk it; hard tack and a pint-aa tasted better than kangaroo and a Foster's. Me, I was trying to recover from World Food badly made (but more about that later).

John Talbott

Web Radio du Gout suggests a Rugby tartrine aka Basque shepherd tartine for the semi-final tomorrow. It consists of a base of “Dorépi” toasted multi-grain bread rubbed with garlic, topped with slices of Coeur de Boeuf tomato, Bigorre black-pork ham and Ossau Iraty, passed under the grill and finally topped off with three Espelette peppers in vinegar.

And then I guess there’ll be rosbif.

John Talbott

Web Radio du Gout suggests a Rugby tartrine aka Basque shepherd tartine for the semi-final tomorrow.  It consists of a base of “Dorépi” toasted multi-grain bread rubbed with garlic, topped with slices of  Coeur de Boeuf tomato, Bigorre black-pork ham and Ossau Iraty, passed under the grill and finally topped off with three Espelette peppers in vinegar. 

And then I guess there’ll be rosbif.

I'm hungry, wonder why.

Provided of course the cœur-de-bœuf tomatoes are the real McCoy and not the horrid mealy, mass-produced tasteless supermarket ersatz.

I would serve deep fried chicken "scrumsticks" with "flanker steak" and a Muscovy "ruck confit" accompanied by large mugs of "maulled cider". "Props" to you if you forgo the "hookers".

(I'm sorry, that was really hard to type. My old coach Mr. Jones is rolling over in his grave)

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Okay. So here's the core around which Colette and my Friday and Saturday's meals will be structured:

Friday: tartare de boeuf and Argentinean steak

Saturday: Springbok loin with beef biltong and rosbif.

I think that pretty much comports with the beefy folk who'll be out on the pitch.

John Talbott

I would serve deep fried chicken "scrumsticks" with "flanker steak" and a Muscovy "ruck confit" accompanied by large mugs of "maulled cider". "Props" to you if you forgo the "hookers".

(I'm sorry, that was really hard to type. My old coach Mr. Jones is rolling over in his grave)

We spent the evening of the French quarterfinal win in a "big screen" restaurant in Bormes-les-Mimosas on the Med coast. Halfway through our meal we heard a spontaneous and reverant burst of song from a large private party in another room--you guessed it, the Marseillaise. It was like being in a movie! The game was beginning. My mother, who of course identifies a lot more with Casablanca than she does with rugby, was brought to tears, which was hysterically funny.

We had wanted to order "muscles" but the restaurant across the street that served them had a power failure. So instead we were treated to a live performance of national pride. Very moving! Your post is great-- I will forward it to my daughter who plays club rugby. The confit part may be a stumbling block for her but the rest of the jokes could probably be understood by people whose culinary thrills--so i'm told--include drinking beer out of a shoe if you don't know all the words to the rugby songs.

For those of you in France, I'm sorry for your loss.