• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kylie Kwong's MY CHINA

Ce'nedra

Kylie Kwong recently released a new cookbook named "My China". Has anyone purchased it yet? I'm thinking about it but considering it's fairly pricey atm (well it did JUST land on the shelves), I want to know what are people's responses so far :)

Travel with Kylie Kwong as she rediscovers her Chinese heritage, exploring the food and culture of a vast and enigmatic country. Her inspiring journey takes her from the rural simplicity of her ancestral village in China's southwest to the wilds of the Tibetan plateau and the stylish modernity of Hong Kong and Shanghai.

Whether searching for the perfect dumpling in Shanghai, exploring the contemporary art scene in Beijing and Hong Kong, rifling through sacks of spices the size of mattresses in Chengdu, or marvelling at the silkiness of freshly made noodles in Xi'an, Kylie is tireless in her quest for new experiences and encounters, cooking up a storm and winning hearts wherever she goes.

Her experiences are captured in stunning location photography and more than 80 authentic recipes from regional China.

Slated for production in early 2007, Kylie Kwong: My China will be an uncharted journey of personal discovery for Kylie as she traverses China, living off the land, eating where locals eat, helping to prepare meals with locals and recreating the dishes al fresco, under the critical gaze of her hosts. Set to play an integral role in FME’s factual catalogue from 2007, Kylie Kwong: My China is set against the backdrop of the breath-taking Chinese landscape, exploring the Chinese people and their culinary traditions, the very heart and soul of China.

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

Hey you,

I have never had any Kylie Kwong's cookbook, I don't see them here in the US, really.

Well she's Australian so that sort of makes sense hehe :raz:

BUT I would have thought her books are sold in the US considering her cooking show is viewed there? :huh:

Kylie Kwong recently released a new cookbook named "My China". Has anyone purchased it yet? I'm thinking about it but considering it's fairly pricey atm (well it did JUST land on the shelves),

You should be able to get it at Borders for $50 (normal RRP is $70), and I would think that K-Mart and Target will also be selling it at a heavily discounted price.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

Kylie Kwong recently released a new cookbook named "My China". Has anyone purchased it yet? I'm thinking about it but considering it's fairly pricey atm (well it did JUST land on the shelves),

You should be able to get it at Borders for $50 (normal RRP is $70), and I would think that K-Mart and Target will also be selling it at a heavily discounted price.

Oo thanks for the notifcation :)

I never knew Borders sells books for cheaper? Is this a special because it's a new release or has this always been the way it was?

I do prefer the variety of books at Borders much more than say, Angus & Robertson or Dymocks.

And yes, you're right, K-Mart and Target are definately cheaper than the lot!

I previewed it a few months back. It's on the must-buy list for next week.

I highly recommend it. I've followed Kylie over the years through her TV programming, and a publisher friend of mine was looking at a rough release of the book, and I had an opportunity to check it out. I absolutely loved it. I'll put my personal reputation on the line (which is next to nothing, but hey, I work with what I've got :P) that you will thoroughly enjoy it. You can virtually beat me up, if you find I'm wrong. :)

Bueno: Thanks for the recommendation :) I just had a look at it in K-mart (or was it Target..) today and I thought it was GREAT also! I do love cookbooks that provide much more than simply recipes -'My China' takes you on a very personal journey where she discovers her Chinese roots (something I can relate to as well), history AND the cuisine of every region. And it has a lovely part about Tibetan culture, heritage and cuisiine too :)

I was deeply interested but couldn't sit there reading every single page if I wasn't going to buy it just yet hahhaha! (I did flip through most pages though).

And yep Shinboners is right; it was sold for $50. Not bad -shall come back for it soon because it's on my 'MUST HAVE' list right now as well :biggrin:

Why thanks so much infernooo! :)

Too bad the 'My China' recipes aren't there -but of course, it's a new release hehe :raz:

I've got her 'Heart & Soul' cookbook -really good stuff! Haven't got around to cooking anything from it yet though...will get around to it some time lol.

I've got her 'Heart & Soul' cookbook -really good stuff! Haven't got around to cooking anything from it yet though...will get around to it some time lol.

I love cooking from "Heart And Soul". Everything that I've cooked from that book has been superb.

Her first cookbook, "Recipies and Stories" is also very good.

I didn't buy "Simple Chinese Cooking" as I found the recipes, well, too simple for my liking. :biggrin: It'd be a good beginners book for those who are trying to cook Chinese for the first time though.

I love cooking from "Heart And Soul". Everything that I've cooked from that book has been superb.

Her first cookbook, "Recipies and Stories" is also very good.

I didn't buy "Simple Chinese Cooking" as I found the recipes, well, too simple for my liking. :biggrin: It'd be a good beginners book for those who are trying to cook Chinese for the first time though.

Yep yep, for me it's not the fact that it's basic though (becaues I NEED basic recipes :laugh: ) but mainly because the recipes are fairly mainstream Chinese....which is another reason why I'm so excited about this new book of her's! The recipes are off-beat but also authentic :wink:

Yep yep, for me it's not the fact that it's basic though (becaues I NEED basic recipes  :laugh: ) but mainly because the recipes are fairly mainstream Chinese....which is another reason why I'm so excited about this new book of her's! The recipes are off-beat but also authentic  :wink:

You should try and get "Simply Asian" by Neil Perry. Excellent recipes, and many of them aren't at all difficult.

Then there's "The Wisdom Of the Chinese Kitchen" by Grace Young. If you're anything like me, you'll recognise plenty of the recipes and traditions in that book.

Oh I've taken a look at Neil Perry's book -very briefly though so I don't remember to much but thanks for the reminder! I need to check it out again :)

As for "The Wisdom Of the Chinese Kitchen", I've never seen that around town. Have you seen it in the mainstream bookstores (i.e Angus & Robertson, Borders and so on)?

I had recently checked this book out of my local library. For me the test of a good book is "will i purchase it?" In this case, no. It's a nice read but that's about all.

Very few Asian cook books are authentic because the stigma of not being able to get ingrediants presists. With the advent of stores like Super H Mart that has passed and I can obtain a lot of cusine specific ingrediants.

For Chinese cooking, I have the Chinese Kitchen' as my go to book.-Dick

• 4 weeks later...

I got a copy of "My China" last Thursday and did three recipes from the Yangshuo section for Monday supper: cucumber salad (described in the text), stir-fried eggplant and beer-braised whole fish.

That with a couple of beers was a nery nice meal. The fish dish is one of the best sweet-and-sour whole fish recipes I know - nice, complex sauce with lots of flavor.

This book is a gem.

BB

Food is all about history and geography.

Thanks so much Big Bunny for your follow-up on the book! Please do let me know more when you've tried more recipes! :)

IndolentAgain: Was the duck hard to make? I too have the book and always lovingly turn to the duck page but it looked a bit complicated eek!

IndolentAgain: Was the duck hard to make? I too have the book and always lovingly turn to the duck page but it looked a bit complicated eek!

Actually turned out easier than I thought - Its time consuming to be sure because you steam and then deep fry the duck. I steamed the duck on day 1 while cooking and then popped it in the fridge and did the deep frying and the sauce on day 2. But it wasnt difficult.

Did it with a wild duck (mallard if I remember correctly) and the sauce made a really gamey duck very tasty indeed.

Planning to cook it again soon. Will just make it with just duck legs this time as they should stay moist with double cooking.

Also, a big highlight for me in regards to her recipes in this book is that they aren't at all too mainstream or typical. They're authentic but unique -you're not likely to find them in other Chinese cookbooks so I really do recommend it :)

I don't know. How can something be 'authentic' and 'unique' at the same time? It sounds like she's putting her own westernized spin on Chinese cuisine and it may end up being tasty, but I wouldn't necessairly call it 'authentic'.

There's nothing remotely authentic about Kylie Kwong. I don't understand why a kind of make-it-up-as-you-go-along technically extremely maladroit and conceptually infantile attitude is considered suitable for publication.

Haven't seen My China, but I took a look at the above recipe links (I know, they are not from My China). Chinese food? Nah. Good (australian) fusion recipes? I'd give her the benefit of doubt.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Hmm well I'm really just after good results (i.e. tastes great) and Asian flavours, not necessarily extremely authentic I suppose.

I have a really 'authentic' Chinese cookbook at home and it wasn't really to my tastes (all the lard you have to add, goodness!).

Are you saying authentic chinese food = fatty oily dishes? My two sen, but I think there's more to it, how a dish is cut, prepared, cooked and combined. Sure, traditionally, chinese food uses oil to give a dish some sheen...to look 'alive', but good chinese food doesn't go overboard in that respect. I come from a family who is averse to food which is too oily, and even my mother (who only cooks chinese) think nothing of leaving lard cubes out.

I've nothing against Kylie Kwong's recipes, really. Power to her for creating flavourful dishes. But, I just hope people who buy her books don't think her recipes are authentic chinese.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah