• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The greatest food quotes ever

MarkIsCooking

Great restaurants are, of course, nothing but mouth-brothels. There is no point in going to them if one intends to keep one's belt buckled. ~Frederic Raphael

"What's your favorite kind of apple?"

"I bet it's granny smith you sour prick."

bangbangbroccoli.com

Around my house the main quote is WWTD? What Would Thomas [Keller] Do?

And also (apropos of the Voltaire quote earlier):

*Either*

"How can you govern a nation that has 246 kinds of cheese?"

*Or*

"Nobody can simply bring together a country that has 265 kinds of cheese."

-- Charles de Gaulle

My suspicion, knowing politicians as I do, is that once he'd found a decent line, he probably said both.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Mario's famous quote, "The Italians were eating with forks when the French were still eating each other."

Bourdain's quote that I use for my tag, "Even Samantha Brown would have a hard time summoning a "wow" for this"

I love the WWTD. A classic for cooking slackers.

Bob

Even Samantha Brown would have hard time summoning a "wow" for this. Anthony Bourdain

I can relate to this. A suitable quote for those times when people look at you funny when you have blown a thousand bucks on a meal.

We were saving, saving, saving then going to France and blowing the money eating. She was a nurse and had never experienced fine dining but she loved it, too. Our mates thought it absurd.

Heston Blumenthal

• 1 year later...

I was reading David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas, and a line near the end made me smile in a way that I know I'll be quoting Mitchell for some time:

Dhondt to Frobisher - "My worry is that the next war will be so big, nowhere with a decent restaurant will be left untouched."

My fave is another of Douglas Adams' -

"All time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Drink up, the world's about to end." - Ford Prefect to Arthur Dent, HHG2G

After that, I'm quite fond of an unattributed quote: "Any self-respecting cat will bury a ripe guava."

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

This particular theme has already been touched on - but this refers to the one who first inspired me.

I recently saw this apron: Large Letters "WWJD" small letters "What would Julia do"

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

This particular theme has already been touched on - but this refers to the one who first inspired me.

I recently saw this apron: Large Letters "WWJD" small letters "What would Julia do"

I L0VE it! :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I revere Charles Dickens. Of his extensive dialogue about food in his books, my favorites are from A Christmas Carol:

"Hallo! A great deal of steam!The pudding was out of the copper. A smell like a washing-day! That was the cloth. A smell like an eating-house, and a pastry cook's next to each other, with a laundress's next door to that! That was the pudding."

And declaring it "a wonderful pudding--not at all a small pudding for such a large family" to Mrs. Cratchet, who said, "I do confess I had my doubts about the quantity of flour."

And then there was my inimatable (a nickname for Dickens himself) father, who once said at the Empress Room, a very fancy Chinese restaurant on the top of the Hyatt, "Gimme one of them Chinese margaritas" to the very stuffy Chinese waiter.

"Tea can have a piece of fruit hanging on the side of the cup. If I have fruit hanging from the side of glass, there should be rum in it." Amy Vansant

"Champagne should be cold, dry and, hopefully, free."

- Christian Pol Roger

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 6 months later...

Quote from a Maxine comic:

"I get my glow from a bottle. It says Zinfandel!"

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My fave is another of Douglas Adams' -

After that, I'm quite fond of an unattributed quote: "Any self-respecting cat will bury a ripe guava."

Wow, is that true! My husband just bought a small case of guavas and the first thing the strikes one when walking into our house is "clean that catbox, now!" I had no idea.

P.S. We have no pets.

Edited by SylviaLovegren (log)