• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bulk Baking Chocolate in Vancouver?

I'm looking to buy big bars of GOOD chocolate (dark chocolate mostly, from El Rey, or Valrhona... I know Gourmet Warehouse does carry big bars of Callebaut, as does Superstore in their bulk section) in Vancouver.

Does anyone know any stores I could go to? I tried to e-mail Valrhona's distributor, but I haven't heard from them! Maybe they are not interested in my business.

Failing that, what online stores will ship to Canada without too much hassle (e.g. expensive shipping costs, needing my own customs broker, OH GAWD).

Thanks for all the help!

Qzina carries Valrhona, they are a wholesaler but will probably sell to you if you pick it up in Richmond. I haven't found anyone who sells El Rey in bulk in Vancouver, Whole Foods used to carry it, but I don't think I've seen it recently.

I usually order my bulk chocolate from HERE. Even after shipping, currency conversion and all the other related costs it's still cheaper than I've been able to find it from within Canada. Now that the U.S. and Canadian dollar are almost equal, it's even cheaper for me because there's no exchange. The place does a lot of turnover (based on watching the "sold out" tags come and go on the web sales pages) so I don't worry too much about quality from them and so far I haven't been disappointed.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

But the Lentia address is in Surrey? I'm a bit confused... do they have an outlet ofr consumers at their head office?

Thanks for all the help... 1st stop , Monde Chocolat! The lady told me they have bars up to 10 lbs.

But the Lentia address is in Surrey? I'm a bit confused...  do they have an outlet ofr consumers at their head office?

Thanks for all the help... 1st stop , Monde Chocolat! The lady told me they have bars up to 10 lbs.

If you mean Monde Chocolat on Burrard, you are in for a treat. Make sure you have time to check out all the other choco-products, and bring money if you are a curious chocoholic :wub: