• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BYOB Recommendations in Princeton

David McDuff

It's been too long since I've spent enough time in the Princeton area to be up to date with the restaurants there, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm seeking recommendations for a BYOB in Princeton or one of its very near neighbors with good food (of course), a wine friendly menu and, ideally, a private room. French, Italian or American seasonal spots would be ideal but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

cheers,

David

• 2 weeks later...

Princeton is such a cool town with an upscale image, yet it is depressing how few good BYO restaurants there are. Ferry House hasn't been worth going in years. La Mezaluna (sp?) was good at one time but I haven't been since they changed hands. Blue Point Grill would probably be my recommendation if I had to pick one. Pretty much seafood and they don't take reservations which makes it tough.

Princeton is such a cool town with an upscale image, yet it is depressing how few good BYO restaurants there are. Ferry House hasn't been worth going in years. La Mezaluna (sp?) was good at one time but I haven't been since they changed hands. Blue Point Grill would probably be my recommendation if I had to pick one. Pretty much seafood and they don't take reservations which makes it tough.

You could really go further and lament the fact that there are too few good restaurants period.

I like Conte's for tomato pies and I like Tortugas Mexican Village and finally, I think Masala Grill has passable Indian fare. Forget all the rest, but just outside of Princeton is Tre Pianni which is really the only decent Italian for miles.

Only Tre Pianni is not byo.

You may want to call Acacia, a few miles south of Princeton on Main St, Route 206, in Lawrenceville, across the street from the school.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

Although we have been in a while, I too would suggest Acacia for your outing. It is close enough to Princeton and it is byo. One proviso for me would be that Bryan Brodowski is still in the kitchen. He's done a fine job in the past here and usually offers up some really creative and exciting fare.