• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Houston] Cocktails, Cocktails, Cocktails

Morgan_Weber

I was in New Orleans this last weekend and had phenomenol cocktails at the Swizzle Stick Bar and the Library Lounge.  We had the classics and new creations.

Can anyone help with a list of places in Houston to get consistently great cocktails?

Dolce Vita's Mojito Push

Davenport Lounge - Monday bartender makes a good side car

The Volcano's Greyhound is made with fresh grapefruit juice

The Alden's bar A+ - excellent cocktails but with a $12 pricetag FYI

Thanks Tatiana.

Just found out that Robert Heugle is at Benjy's. Benjy's cocktails are extremely hit or miss unless he's there. I would suggest going, only when I knew he was working. Here is his schedule.

Monday night (4-10)

Thursday night (5-9)

Saturday 4-11ish

Sunday mornings 11am-4.

I've been reading his blog for a couple of months now and just realized he lives and works in Houston. Take a look at his blog--he's very dedicated to the craft of making great drinks.

http://explorethepour.blogspot.com/

Hello everyone! If you want a well-made drink, you can come see me at Benjy's anytime. I don't have as much to work with as I would like, but I still know how to make a drink right. Hope to meet everyone soon!

P.S. Sam, I e-mailed you back, but didn't hear back from you. I am assuming you left Houston by now. Sorry that I missed you; I was not feeling well at all over the last week.

Edited by Robert Heugel (log)

Robert Heugel

Anvil Bar & Refuge - Houston, TX

http://www.drinkdogma.com

i've been impressed with the cocktail menu at mark's. ken, the bar manager at mark's is a great mixologist and infuses his own vodkas. go there, sit at the bar and order cocktails and appetizers. and ask ken what he has special back there. he had a pear and ginger vodka earlier this year that was heavenly.

reef also has an interesting cocktail menu. there was something with grapefruit in it that wasn't too sweet or tart.

"Our lives are not in the lap of the gods, but in the lap of our cooks."

-Lin Yutang, The Importance of Living, 1937

• 3 weeks later...
i've been impressed with the cocktail menu at mark's.  ken, the bar manager at mark's is a great mixologist and infuses his own vodkas.  go there, sit at the bar and order cocktails and appetizers.  and ask ken what he has special back there.  he had a pear and ginger vodka earlier this year that was heavenly.

reef also has an interesting cocktail menu.  there was something with grapefruit in it that wasn't too sweet or tart.

Had drinks at REEF last night with a coworker. When I sat down at the bar, I asked the bartender if they used fresh juices. He replied with a yes, so I ordered a Sidecar. It came out and tasted of grapefruit juice, vodka, and soda. :wacko:

http://www.drinkboy.com/cocktails/recipes/Sidecar.html

Confused, I apologized and said, "Oh, I'm sorry, I meant a Sidecar with brandy, triple sec, and lemon juice...he replied, "no problem". He came back with a sickly sweet and sour drink that sort of resembled the old classic. From there I ordered a glass of wine...

This was my second trip to REEF. My conclusion is that it is a bit ho-hum...not great, but not awful...