• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pistou (with tomatoes)

little ms foodie

I just got some very nice end of the season tomatoes and basil from my CSA delivery and I want to make a nice pistou for soup but I can't make the soup until late next week and by then my tomatoes and basil will be dreary to say the least. I freeze regular basil pesto all the time but will pistou with tomatoes freeze well? Or how long will it keep in the fridge? thanks!

Tomatoes freeze fine; it's what happens to them when they thaw out!

Have you ever made oven dried tomatoes? Absolutely delicious. Blanch em in boiling water for a few seconds, and shock in ice water. Peel the skin away, cut in half horizontally, and squeeze out the seeds. Lay em on a pan & drizzle generously with olive oil, and a sprinkle of sea salt. Put them in a 200 degree oven over night.

The flavor intensifies by reducing the water content, and increases also increases the shelf life. If you handle them properly, you can pack them oil, for even longer storage in the refrigerator. Dice these up & and em to your pistou. The results will be worth your while.