• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Improving grocery store Balsamic Vinegar

dondford

I've used reduced balsamic in cooking (usually as part of a glaze), but never as a drizzle. I doubt it'll be as good as the expensive stuff, since your lacking a lot of the nuances. You'll end up with a sugary syrup with a touch of acidity, which would be good on some things, but not comparable to a true balsamic

Here's a thread over at CH that you might find interesting

http://www.chowhound.com/topics/361096

Yes I get the point of the OP. The fact remains that it is sold in your local store at that price for a reason. You can not get Arrmani at JC Penny prices.

Though it might be interesting to do some tests on further age tratments. You could tape up a jur to make it light tight and put oak into it for flavor.

Living hard will take its toll...

..... You can not get Arrmani at JC Penny prices.

No, but a good tailor could make it fit more like one.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Hi,

Cook's Illustrated suggested the following:

1/2 cup decent supermarket balsamic

1 Tablespoon sugar

1 Tablespoon port wine

Barely simmer over extremely low heat for 30 - 40 minutes to about 1/2 the original volume.

Tim

Hi,

Cook's Illustrated suggested the following:

1/2 cup decent supermarket balsamic

1 Tablespoon sugar

1 Tablespoon port wine

Barely simmer over extremely low heat for 30 - 40 minutes to about 1/2 the original volume.

Tim

That's what I'm talking about, thanks. I will do this test and report back.

Don