• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gai Pad Grapow

Whilst there is nothing wrong with this recipe, it seems like a dumbed down version. It lacks the strong flavour of the real thing. The colour is also a lot lighter and there seems to be a little more sauce. The Gai pad Grapow a Thai lady made was very dark and the sauce was somewhat thick with what I assume was the pounded shallots+garlic+chilli combo.

The recipe I used

I tried it again with more shallots,garlic and fish sauce . That helped but it's still not right! The recipe is very tasty but ....

• 2 weeks later...

I had no problem opening the link to the recipe. Sometimes if I do, I right-click with my mouse on the link and choose >Open.

I agree with jmolinari, the difference seems to be in the sauce. Your recipe calls for oyster sauce, which is mild, salty, and sweet. Black soy sauce, which is also sweet-ish, packs more punch and color.

I love this recipe for Basil Chicken. It's from my Thai cooking teacher, Kasma Loha-Unchit. I've made it a bunch of times. http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/recipes/baschi.html