• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Healthiest oil to use?

Ce'nedra

As the title says.

However, I'm not interested if it's healthy but of poor use :raz:

I'd like to know what is a healthy oil that is also versatile in that it doesn't spoil your food by adding a strong taste, stir fries well, good with heat, etc etc.

Any sort of contribution is welcomed with glee :laugh:

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

I adore olive oil, but for times when I WANT it to impart flavor. It supposedly doesn't have a very high smoking point and its too expensive (for me) to fry at a depth.

So, I always have a jug of canola oil next to the 1/2 gal of EVOO.

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy

It's worth noting that, while extra virgin olive oil imparts its own flavor to food, there are also plenty of olive oils that are filtered, refined, and relatively colorless and neutral tasting. In the US they tend to be labeled "light" or "extra light."

For a long time I was using grapeseed oil as my neutral oil of choice, because a lot of restaurant chefs seem to use it, but I never particularly liked its consistency -- it seems sticky to me. For the past couple of years, corn oil has been my neutral oil of choice.

Coconut oil has been developing more of a following lately. Back in the day a lot of health-conscious people didn't use it because it's high in saturated fat. But the latest thinking is that it's low in transfats, so it's actually a healthful oil.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I have been using a good peanut oil (imported from Hong-Kong and easily available in Asian markets) for years. It has a wonderful nutty flavor and a high burning point - a perfect all- purpose oil. I dislike canola oil as it gives off a fishy aroma when heated. Grapeseed oil is fine but getting a bit too expensive to use for frying.

Ruth Friedman

The Canola oil-rapeseed- we get here tastes and smells disgusting. I'm very surprised to see it prescribed by such luminaries as Thomas Keller, but maybe it's not the same in the US.

I love chinese peanut oil, but don't think it suitable for western food, for which I use olive oil, pork or poultry fat or butter according to whichever is correct for the dish in question. I do think there are health concerns about overheated and reused vegetable oils, which happens plenty in the chinese kitchen.

canola oil has a high smoke point so it's great for frying. The canola in the US is pretty neutral.

I also use soy oil -- there are issues with it in terms of genetic varieties/pesticides, but unfortunately, any oil we use has environmental isssues--unless you are using lard from your own pig--and vegetatians wouldn't like that much!

oh, forgot to add--rice bran oil--I use it in my soap, haven't used it to cook with yet--but this can be ordered right from the farmers' co-op --great people to deal with

http://www.riceland.com/consumers/gifts/

Zoe

Edited by zoe b (log)

I've always thought that olive oil got a bad rap when it comes to using it for frying. In Roman cooking (and watching any of Mario Batali's shows where he is frying), olive oil is the frying medium of choice.

According to the olive oil source web site,

Smoke Point is related to free fatty acid content.  Below is a table which shows this relationship for a typical cooking oil. Most people who are planning to deep fry with olive oil use a refined oil such as a pure or an "extra light" olive oil. See  cooking considerations.  The International Olive Oil Council states that olive oil has a smoke point of 210 degrees C (410 degrees F).

Since most deep-frying is done at a temp. of 375 or less, it would seem that olive oil is quite well suited to the task. And, as Fat Guy mentions above, there are plenty of olive oils that are neutral and won't add to the flavor of whatever it is you're cooking.

Here's a link to the above mentioned site...click here!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

canola oil has a high smoke point so it's great for frying.  The canola in the US is pretty neutral.

So canola oil is more flavorful in other countries? How do you manipulate the flavor of an oil? And what does rapeseed oil taste like?

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Coconut oil has been developing more of a following lately. Back in the day a lot of health-conscious people didn't use it because it's high in saturated fat. But the latest thinking is that it's low in transfats, so it's actually a healthful oil.

Does it have any trans fat?

I thought trans fats are all--for lack of better word--man-made, the most well-known being partially hydrogenated vegetable shortenings.

Since some sort of processing is necessary for the production of oil, I'd be interested in clarification.

Still, something high in saturated fat cannot be good for one's health. I use butter despite its saturated fat because I like the way it tastes, but would consider it superior only to something like Crisco when it comes to monitoring personal health.

As far as cooking oils go, I bow to Doc Sconz, Julia Child and Aristotle. Moderation. I am avoiding Crisco altogether and have no interest in trying new products made without trans fats. However, I like using peanut or corn oil when stir-frying and otherwise cook with canola or olive oil.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Peanut oil is popular in asian cooking.

I've made popcorn with half olive oil, half corn oil. Tasted good and the burn/smoke rate was acceptable. (Why does corn seem to pop better in corn oil?).

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I thought trans fats are all--for lack of better word--man-made, the most well-known being partially hydrogenated vegetable shortenings.

Actually, no. Small amounts are in red meat and milk. As I recall, it's because it's naturally found in ruminants' stomachs, but it's a rather small amount.

Big fan of deep frying using sunflower seed oil. Even the cheap store bought frozen French fires taste lighter. Must have a high smoke point because I routinely set off the smoke alarms, always pushing the envelope. Haven't set one off with this stuff yet.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

Big fan of deep frying using sunflower seed oil. Even the cheap store bought frozen French fires taste lighter. Must have a high smoke point because I routinely set off the smoke alarms, always pushing the envelope. Haven't set one off with this stuff yet.

If I recall correctly, the smoke point of sunflower seed oil is similar to that of peanut. I only know this because I've had to look it up to find a substitute so someone could make deep fried turkeys without the peanut oil.

I use canola and rice bran oil mostly.

Cheryl

I have been using coconut oil for quite a while, however for pan frying, I have been using avocado oil for the past few months.

It has a very high burn/smoke point - it is supposed to be the highest of any plant-based oil at more than 500 degrees F (270 C).

I have also been working my way through a tin of tea oil. (NOT Tea Tree oil.)

This oil is made from the seeds of Camellia sinensis - the trees/bushes that produce the various varieties of tea.

It also has a very high smoke point (Wikipedia states 485 F.) and it has a completely neutral flavor (at least to my taste).

It is expensive, however I have found that a little goes a long way and it produces an excellent mayonnaise - its emulsification (if that is a word) seems easier than olive or most vegetable oils.

(I have made mayonnaise with avocado oil and found it also was easier to "work" than olive or canola oil.)

I have not been using canola (the Canadian version of rapeseed oil) since I got a bad bottle several months ago. It was a premium brand and I did return it to the store and got a refund, rather than exchange it. I'm not going to name it because that may have been a single anomaly, but for now I am not using canola.

Other oils I have on hand, besides olive: Grapeseed oil that the local health food store had on special a while back (grown and processed in California). It comes in a metal container, which I prefer (same as the Tea oil).

This is another one with no distinct flavor:

Grapeseed oil info.

Another post mentioned rice bran oil and I have a small bottle that I have yet to open. I think I had a bottle a few years ago which I tossed during a cleaning frenzy.

And I have a gallon jug of Sunflower oil for the deep fryer. Can't recall why I bought it, I think I was going to be frying something and one of my guests had a peanut allergy.

For some reason, this link does not show up on some searches, but has good synopses of oil facts.

Loriva culinary oils

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have been using coconut oil for quite a while, however for pan frying, I have been using avocado oil for the past few months. 

It has a very high burn/smoke point - it is supposed to be the highest of any plant-based oil at more than 500 degrees F (270 C).

I have also been working my way through a tin of tea oil.  (NOT Tea Tree oil.)

This oil is made from the seeds of Camellia sinensis - the trees/bushes that produce the various varieties of tea.

It also has a very high smoke point (Wikipedia states 485 F.) and it has a completely neutral flavor (at least to my taste).

It is expensive, however I have found that a little goes a long way and it produces an excellent mayonnaise - its emulsification (if that is a word) seems easier than olive or most vegetable oils.

(I have made mayonnaise with avocado oil and found it also was easier to "work" than olive or canola oil.)

I have not been using canola (the Canadian version of rapeseed oil) since I got a bad bottle several months ago.  It was a premium brand and I did return it to the store and got a refund, rather than exchange it.  I'm not going to name it because that may have been a single anomaly, but for now I am not using canola.

Other oils I have on hand, besides olive:  Grapeseed oil that the local health food store had on special a while back (grown and processed in California).  It comes in a metal container, which I prefer (same as the Tea oil).

This is another one with no distinct flavor:

Grapeseed oil info.

Another post mentioned rice bran oil and I have a small bottle that I have yet to open.  I think I had a bottle a few years ago which I tossed during a cleaning frenzy. 

And I have a gallon jug of Sunflower oil for the deep fryer.  Can't recall why I bought it, I think I was going to be frying something and one of my guests had a peanut allergy. 

For some reason, this link does not show up on some searches, but has good synopses of oil facts.

Loriva culinary oils

wow lotta good info in this thread especially yours andiesenji Thanks.

Is it just me or have the prices of North American oils like peanut, sunflower and canola come down significantly to what they were ten years ago?

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

Peanut oil has dropped considerably. I am sure that part of this is due to the proliferation of "big box" stores like Costco and Sam's Club. Smart & Final has always had lower prices on the big containers of peanut oil but the consumer sizes (suitable for use in deep fryers) was way more than other vegetable oils. Safflower oil (often not identified except as vegetable oil) was the first to drop, then corn oil and with the introduction and heavy marketing of Canola, peanut oil had to be more affordable or lose too much of the market share.

I believe there was also some significant advancements in harvesting and processing the crops. There was a Modern Marvels segment just a couple of years ago about it. (I am a big fan of The History Channel)

Unless one is an industry insider, there is really not a lot of news about new processes that are constantly being upgraded.

I am constantly reminded of how much has changed since I was a child. On the farm where I grew up, sorghum was crushed in a mill and the juice cooked off in open "pans" over wood fires. The process now is in huge facilities that are mostly automated and extract more juice and produce more molasses than growers could have dreamed of fifty years ago.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The initial question is, "What is a healthy oil?", not "What are some of your favoriate oils?".

I tend to believe that vegetable oils are healthy while animal oils are not, but probably I'm wrong.

Well, I just wanted to say that fish oil is important, too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_oil

Sorry, I got so involved in the types I forgot to mention that I am using coconut, avocado and tea oil because of the health benefits.

Thanks so much for replying everyone :biggrin:

I've also noticed that most chefs use grapeseed oil and so I've been interested about it for awhile. Does it have a high smoking point? I do like that it's supposed to be entirely flavourless.

About the canola oil, this seems to be one of the most popular ones that people use. Does it have any trans-fats? Are its health benefits average compared to the others?

MomOfLittleFoodies: How was the rice bran oil compared to the canola oil? I'd like to know more about the rice bran oil and it's benefits. Is it relatively more expensive?

andiesenji: The avocado oil is of particular interest to me from the variety you use. Is it relatively expensive? Would it more healthy than say, the coconut oil?

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

Thanks so much for replying everyone  :biggrin:

I've also noticed that most chefs use grapeseed oil and so I've been interested about it for awhile. Does it have a high smoking point? I do like that it's supposed to be entirely flavourless.

About the canola oil, this seems to be one of the most popular ones that people use. Does it have any trans-fats? Are its health benefits average compared to the others?

According to this chart, grapeseed oil has a smoke point of about 420 F, which is near the high end.

With regard to the health benefits of canola oil, read on. Even vegetable and nut oils have a certain amount of saturated fat in them. Canola oil has only 7% saturated fat, which is the smallest percentage in readily-available cooking oils. (Coconut oil, by the way, is 92% saturated fat.) Almond oil and safflower oil also have low saturated fat, at 8% and 9% respectively. Olive oil is listed as 14% saturated fat, which is still pretty low. For more info on the fat content of oil, see charts like this chart.

There's another health factor to be considered that doesn't get as much play, perhaps because the information is newer or because it's more complex: the relation of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids. Although both types of fatty acid play a role in health, there's some evidence that too much omega-6 in relation to omega-3 causes health problems. The ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 varies from oil to oil. Canola, walnut, flaxseed and olive oils have good ratios. Corn oil has a bad ratio. Some epidemiologists think there's a link between the increase in diabetes and health problems in this country and the rising use of corn oil, starting back in the 1960's.

At any rate - on more than one count, canola oil is supposed to be one of the best for you.

Edited for clarity, and to add this link to a concise and clear discussion about fatty acids and fat content of various oils: <clickety>. Scroll down a way for a chart showing the fatty acid content of the oils, and the ratio.

Edited by Smithy (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thanks so much for replying everyone  :biggrin:

MomOfLittleFoodies: How was the rice bran oil compared to the canola oil? I'd like to know more about the rice bran oil and it's benefits. Is it relatively more expensive?

andiesenji: The avocado oil is of particular interest to me from the variety you use. Is it relatively expensive? Would it more healthy than say, the coconut oil?

Hest 88 mentioned this, but the only natural source of trans fat in our foods is from animal sources (small amounts on meat in milk). The majority of trans fat in American diets comes from eating partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, which allows it to be solid at room temperature. To my understanding, no liquid oil from a plant source naturally contains trans fat.

Taking out partially hydrogenated options, the health benefits of plant-based oils mainly come from the proportions of monounsaturated, polyunsaturated and saturated fat. The proportion is important because just about any liquid plant-based oil has the same amount of TOTAL fat in it. (There are other reasons some people appreciate certain health benefits of certain oils, and I'd love to hear about them!) In general, monounsaturated fats are considered the most "heart-healthy" because they have the most anti-inflammatory qualities and beneficial effects on cholesterol.

Saturated and trans fats are known to have negative health effects, though there's debate about 1. which of the two is "worse", and 2. if there's distinctions between the different types of saturated fats e.g. the saturated fat in coconut/palm oil vs the saturated fat that comes from lard.

So in general, for health reasons, people may want to choose:

1. the oil that has the most unsaturated fat in it, especially monounsaturated fat, in relation to saturated fat. (assuming that you're avoid sources of trans fat) and

2. oils that have high smoke points so that oils don't go beyond their smoke point to produce undesirable byproducts (not to mention ruined food! :wink: )

Smithy and others bring up great points about omegas- the hard part is that these components don't show up on food labels consistently.

Here are some specs on the oils I mentioned earlier and a bit of a narrative about my reasons for using one on a regular basis.

Grapeseed oil.

Oil smoke points

Note that Avocado oil is the highest.

Spectrum Organics heart-healthy culinary oils.

Note that Spectrum (carried at my local health food store) produces "High-Heat" oils specifically for cooking at high temperatures, as opposed to their regular oils which are recommended for salad dressings, dipping, and other heat-free applications.

In the past I have noted that with some oils, excessive heating produces fumes that are acrid, irritating to eyes and nasal mucosa and that had bothered me for a long time. If I sensed any trace of those fumes, I would discard whatever was in the pan and start over.

In my opinion, anything that doesn't smell right or produces an irritant, can't be good to consume.

I began using Tropical Traditions virgin organic coconut oil a few years ago after I consulted an endocrinologist/nutritionist because I seemed to have far more viral infections, mostly respiratory, and lasting longer, than one should expect.

He suggested a daily "dose" of the coconut oil, either in food or on its own, it has a pleasant taste, and not at all difficult to add to shakes, smoothies, as well as other applications. (This company was the only one marketing the "virgin coconut oil" in the US at that time, now there are several.)

I didn't notice much change for several months, however for the past three years I have had very few "colds" and not one episode of "flu," although I can't say for certain this is the reason, I prefer to continue on it until someone proves otherwise.

My cholesterol, although never excessively high, in spite of my diet, which contains a fair amount of high cholesterol foods, has dropped about 70 points since I began using the coconut oil. I still use butter and often combine the two in a sauté pan - mostly for flavor.

In November 2003 my cholesterol was 210 and my most recent one was 138. I take no anti-cholesterol drugs.

Edited by andiesenji (log)