• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Recs for Romantic Dinner in Los Angeles

babern38

So, I basically asked a similar question under the Blue Velvet thread, but was not receiving any replies, so I thought I would rephrase my question and make it more general.

I am flying into LA from Missouri and am planning a romantic dinner. I would appreciate some recs for places with tasting menus, great ambiance, and service where we will be well catered to. I'm basically looking for the place where we will be there for a while (with a tasting menu) and be able to converse with minimal interruptions/distractions. I was interested in Ortolan, Providence, Blue Velvet, but would be interested in any other places I'm not yet aware of. Thanks.

babern38,

You did say "romantic," ehh?? In terms of decor, Ortolan seems more romantic to me. You can go to their website to get an idea. Very elegant. Chef Christophe Eme focuses on French cuisine.

Providence is one of my favorite restaurants. While the decor is nice, I wouldn't call it romantic. The emphasis is on seafood. Excellent desserts by Adrian Vasquez.

Blue Velvet is a little more "hip" and modern. Check out the communal washroom ...

When you say "romantic," what do you mean? Small, quaint, big, elegant ... And when are you coming in? Real soon, like next weekend or a few weeks away?

What kind of tasting menu? French, seafood, new American ...

If you have any questions, just ask ...

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I'm still a relative newcomer to LA - so haven't tried some of the favorites.

The tasting menu at SONA was mouthwatering (401 N La Cienega Blvd West Hollywood) the setting zen like and elegant, customers seem more dressed up then the usual super casual attire even at fine places - the staff is refined (something lacking at many LA restaurants). It would be my first pick - and then I'd return to their Patisserie BOULE (across the street) the next day for a sweet treat.

Both Providence and Ortolan are serene and Ortolan is more romantic - but I think the food is brighter and livelier, more fish-centric and at Providence.

Wouldn't consider Table 8 romantic - a tinge loud and the food is good but not in the same league as Sona. Might as well go to Osteria (loud and lively and fun and richly flavored) and one of the impossible reservations to get right now.

Belvedere at Pennisula Hotel is more refined and elegant then outright romantic - maybe it was the number of business dinners occuring at surrounding tables (and...every dish was heavily salted!!!).

Bastide just reopened and word is the tasting menu is stellar - not sure if it's romantic -- I haven't been yet - perhaps someone else will comment.

Enjoy your trip to LA.