• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pre - Cooked Shrimp?

rachiesarah

in a last ditch effort to save time a month ago I bought a large bag of frozen pre-cooked baby (salad size?) cooked shrimp.

I defrosted a few and decided there was no way I was serving this for my sisters surprise birthday party. bleh.

Is there any salvation for these?? I have 2# bag in my freeze, should I just throw it away and chalk it up to -- now I know better?

sure it isn't healthy, but why deny oneslf?

If they taste actually unpleasant, I cant imagine rescuing them. Or is it that they are ok but just barely taste of shrimp? Because then perhaps something could be done with them - probably something that involves lots of garlic, and where the shrimp is present as a neutral flavored protein. Its hard to do much with bad ingredients.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

in a last ditch effort to save time a month ago I bought a large bag of frozen pre-cooked baby (salad size?) cooked shrimp.

I defrosted a few and decided there was no way I was serving this for my sisters surprise birthday party. bleh.

Is there any salvation for these?? I have 2# bag in my freeze, should I just throw it away and chalk it up to -- now I know better?

Assuming they are not "off," you could make a shrimp paste or potted shrimp--i.e., something in the food processor with lots of added flavor--brandy, cream, herbs, etc. Put on toast and broil. Although basura sounds appropriate too.

As long as they do not have an "off" or iodine taste, they can certainly function as chewy protein morsels in a soup (add at last minute). Something with that carries itself.

How 'bout shrimp cakes or shrimp beignets? They probably won't taste great, but frying always makes things taste good.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

If they are not "bad or tainted", then I would consider putting them in a "quick gumbo".

I'd make the roux with the "Trinity". Then use a good andouille or garlic sausage after the Trinity is ready along with some chicken stock. Add the shrimp at the last minute and plate with file.

Also, you could consider a "quick" shrimp etouffee. Make the roux with "brown" butter rather than oil.

Good luck and good eating.

Motochef!

Motochef! Enjoying fine food while motorcycle touring.

Motoblog! Motochef's Notes, Comments and Points of Interest

Motochef!

As above...but give them a good squeeze in a towel like wringing out spinache. Cooked and frozen shrimp seem to turn into sponges to me. Try grinding them up with water chestnuts etc for shrimp toast or dumplings

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

How 'bout shrimp cakes or shrimp beignets?  They probably won't taste great, but frying always makes things taste good.

Again assuming that they are not off taste wise but are just not that flavorful shrimp cakes would be a way to add some flavor. Pulse in the food processor. You could use some scallop puree as a binder as well as bread crumbs.