• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese With Other Stuff In It

Khadija

spreadable raw mink cheddar cheese

Is it expensive? :blink:

I think it's $6 a tub - don't quote me on that though cause I always buy it with other things (other cheeses :biggrin:) so it's hard for me to remember the cost of that one in particular. Let me the tub from the fridge to give you some spec's on it....

Okay - I have it in my hand. Let's see:

Like I said - I have the standard Raw Milk Cheddar - no add-ins.

Ingredients: cheddar cheese aged over 100 days (cultured unpasteurized milk), Salt, Enzymes) Water, Whey, Butterfat, no artificial colors or preservatives.

It states to keep it refridgerated. It's white in color (hence no artificial colors).

Bunkow Cheese...is actually "Bunkow Cheese of Wisconsin". Yup they come to the Green City Market in Chicago every Wed and Sat all the way from Wisconsin!

The tubs last quite a while in the fridge....even after you've opened it.

The tub is 8 OZ (226 grams). There are 8 servings in the tub. Each serving is 2 tbsp. 90 calories, 7 grams of fat, no trans fat (duh), 5 grams of protein, 160mg sodium (7% daily amt recommended) blah blah blah blah blah.

If you wanted I could buy one for you and send it via mail....How do you send something in the mail if it needs to be kept cold? I know how vendors do it - but how would I? Kinda curious about that now! haha.

Yummy - now that I went and got it to post all this stuff I am eating it by the finger outta the jar - look what you've done :wink:

BTW the Whole Foods markets in Chicago (there are like 5 of them within 5 miles of my condo, no joke) carry these cheeses!

Like I said - I really like the tomato basil one too - its a nice spread on sandwiches I have found!

I should also note - this line of spreadable cheese is MUCH MUCH softer than any of the supermarket spreadable cheeses that I have purchased - and I have tried all of the ones commonly available in chicago - trust me! It spreads like a soft butter in the tub!

Yummy.

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Reading Delilah's recipe made my cholesterol go up about 100 points!

Is it good - sounds like overkill?

Cheese with stuff in it - I'm not a big fan in general, but agree with what seems to be the consensus here: savory items like herbs, garlic, horseradish are less offensive than sweets like dried fruit. That white stilton w/different fruits tastes like eating a piece of cheese cake - it is just too sweet for my palate.

I second the vote for Truffle Tremor - made by Cypress Grove in California. It is good b/c it is not too truffley and does not overpower the chevre-riness of the paste of the cheese. (Is that a word?)

And I do like cheeses with spirits - the Cahill Porter that was referred to earlier, with the veins of dark beer, is very pleasant. Cheeses washed in wines like the Drunken Goat, etc do not detract from the real flavor of the original product.

There is an story told about how these wine-rinded cheeses came to be. They originate in the Veneto region of Italy, which was on the path of advancing and retreating armies. Farmers got sick of having their homes invaded and cheeses stolen, so they threw them into barrels of wine to hide them. Considering that invading armies would probably go for wine first, the historical basis is weak, but it's a good story.

And I do like cheeses with spirits - the Cahill Porter that was referred to earlier, with the veins of dark beer, is very pleasant.  Cheeses washed in wines like the Drunken Goat, etc do not detract from the real flavor of the original product.

There is an story told about how these wine-rinded cheeses came to be.  They originate in the Veneto region of Italy, which was on the path of advancing and retreating armies.  Farmers got sick of having their homes invaded and cheeses stolen, so they threw them into barrels of wine to hide them.  Considering that invading armies would probably go for wine first, the historical basis is weak, but it's a good story.

Thanks for the backgrounder -- true or not. What a great rural legend. I spent a bit of time in the Veneto this past Feb gorging on the many amazing local cheeses, most of which did not have "extra" stuff in them :smile:

I thought I'd toss another "add on" into the mix: what do you all think about wine/alcohol IN cheese? Khadijah has mentioned a number of non-cheese items she's not keen on and I tend to agree but I'm a die-hard fan of ported Stilton. In fact, I'll be crocking up a couple of pounds for Christmas very shortly. I've also recently gotten hooked on Drunken Goat, a tasty red-wine (forget which one, philistine that I am) infused Spanish queso. Thoughts?

I've not had ported Stilton (I assume that's Stilton soaked in porter). Stilton and Porter is a favourite combination of mine, so I'm curious.

I discovered Drunken Goat two years ago, and it was love at first taste.

So, I don't think I'm really against the alcohol/cheese combination. But I think it needs to be "done right."

Edited by Khadija (log)

I thought I'd toss another "add on" into the mix: what do you all think about wine/alcohol IN cheese? Khadijah has mentioned a number of non-cheese items she's not keen on and I tend to agree but I'm a die-hard fan of ported Stilton. In fact, I'll be crocking up a couple of pounds for Christmas very shortly. I've also recently gotten hooked on Drunken Goat, a tasty red-wine (forget which one, philistine that I am) infused Spanish queso. Thoughts?

I've not had ported Stilton (I assume that's Stilton soaked in porter). Stilton and Porter is a favourite combination of mine, so I'm curious.

I discovered Drunken Goat two years ago, and it was love at first taste.

So, I don't think I'm really against the alcohol/cheese combination. But I think it needs to be "done right."

I just realised that you may be referring to Stilton with port. I probably wouldn't like it, because I've hated ever port I've ever tried. I keep trying to like it, but don't. And I like strong flavours.

"Consider this an invitation to visit Delilah's at the Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia. Don't have time for a full visit? Hop off the train at 30th Street Station, go to Delilah's in the food court in the south concourse, and catch the next train to where you're going.

You may have heard of proprietor Delilah Winder's -- the mac 'n' cheese pronounced the best by none other than Oprah Winfrey, but which nonetheless got whipped by a five-cheese Bobby Flay number on an episode of Throwdown with Bobby Flay."

Amazing. I just heard about Deliah's about a week ago (I've been without tv and foodnetwork for awhile, so I'm late to catch up on certain things). I read some online reviews of the dish at the restaurant, which generally suggested that the dish was a disappointment. Sometimes there is an inverse relationship between quality of product and popularity of product, and I wonder if this may be an explanation for what's happening at Deliah's.

The seven cheeses does sound a bit like overkill to me. Although, she does have some processed cheese and blander cheese in there, so maybe the high number of cheeses has to do with the inclusion texture contributors.

I guess the above raises another issue. What do people think about blending different cheeses? As with the case of cheese-with-stuff, I think it works when the cheeses complement each other. But sometimes, as we often see in the case of mac n' cheese, it seems to me that introducing so many cheeses into the mix gets to be gratuitous.

Edited by Khadija (log)

I just realised that you may be referring to Stilton with port. I probably wouldn't like it, because I've hated ever port I've ever tried. I keep trying to like it, but don't. And I like strong flavours.

spreadable raw mink cheddar cheese

Is it expensive? :blink:

Hehe, I'm reminded of a quote from Meet the Parents:

Dina: I had-- I had no idea you could milk a cat.

Greg: Oh, yeah, you can milk anything with nipples.

Jack: I have nipples, Greg. Could you milk me?

You're right, I am talking about Stilton soaked for as long as you can bear to wait in port, preferably tawny but any one you like will do. If you don't like port, this may not be the taste sensation for you. Having said that, I've never been a huge port fan and I LOOOVVEEE this stuff. If you want to try it without making it yourself, check with your local gourmet (hate that word) cheese shop in the next few weeks. Years ago I worked at Forster's Fine Cheeses in Vancouver and the owner Steve made it to sell nearish Christmas. That's how I got hooked, and it wasn't long before I clued in that I could easily make it myself for a lot less cash. Last year I went to La Grotta (cheese den on Commercial in Van) and they had just brought in whole Stiltons, so I took home a quarter (!) and six weeks later it was a ported Stilton bloodbath :rolleyes: 

Ooooh boy, does that sound good. I love Stilton, and I love port. I am definitely going to try this. However, I'm not sure it's wise for my diet and pocketbook to learn a way to make Stilton and port even better than they already are.

Edited to add: Is there any trick to doing this? Or do you just take your hunk o' Stilton and pour some port over it and seal it up and wait until you can't stand to wait any more?

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Sadly, I am allergic to alcohol, or rather raw alcohol above a certain percentage and the effect is edema in my larnynx, i.e., reducing my airway.

However, I do cook some fortified wines down - it requires some time - which will reduce the volatile alcohol compounds that affect me, but I wouldn't treat a fine port this way.

Some of the very strong cheeses work well with other fortified wines, a Marsala with gorgonzola

Madeira with lighter, sweeter cheeses and Muscat with cheddars and the white, English cheeses.

I don't mind treating these wines with heat until the alcohol has been reduced enough for me to use it without adverse effects.

I recall reading a travel book in which the writer described attending a festival in Austria where Eiswein and several local cheeses figured prominently, to the point that he was unable to adequately enjoy the special dinner that had been prepared for him.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about Stilton.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

When I want to eat a cheese - especially if i'm trying it for the first time, i only want CHEESE.

However, I dont think there is anything wrong w/a cheese maker who wants to experiment.

Taylor Farm in VT makes an amazing Garlic Gouda. Beltane Farm in CT has a fresh chevre with dill that is out of this world. Yes, these are deviations from "the cheese", but as long as "the cheese" can stand on it's own, i say-go for it.

B

"Of all places, only at the table is the first hour never dull."

website

Latest Article

Ooooh boy, does that sound good. I love Stilton, and I love port. I am definitely going to try this. However, I'm not sure it's wise for my diet and pocketbook to learn a way to make Stilton and port even better than they already are.

Edited to add: Is there any trick to doing this? Or do you just take your hunk o' Stilton and pour some port over it and seal it up and wait until you can't stand to wait any more?

Sorry about the diet, Jaymes, but trust me it'll be worth it. The best (or maybe worst??) part is how easy it is: Tupperware, Stilton, port, coolish cupboard, time. If you think of it, turn the cheese over once in a while to ensure the porty goodness is sinking in equally. Et voila -- a Christmas (or non-denominational) treat to share with pals in December. Enjoy!

PS this is a killer gift if you have foodie friends. Pop as much as you can bear to part with in a bit of crockery and you're good to go. Now you know why I keep making more every year...

Blue Stilton needs nothing except a cracker to convey it into my mouth. I have not sunk to eating it off a knife, yet. I thought about this thread Sunday as I was putting feta w/garlic & herbs into my salad.

Blue Stilton needs nothing except a cracker to convey it into my mouth.  I have not sunk to eating it off a knife, yet.  I thought about this thread Sunday as I was putting feta w/garlic & herbs into my salad.

I used to work at a terrific French Bistro, where the French owner used to always eat his cheese and pate off of his knife. Ever since then, I felt it was ok for me to do it. Call me uncouth, but I love it... :smile:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Blue Stilton needs nothing except a cracker to convey it into my mouth.  I have not sunk to eating it off a knife, yet.  I thought about this thread Sunday as I was putting feta w/garlic & herbs into my salad.

You haven't yet eaten Stilton off the knife? Maybe you don't live alone, like I do :laugh: . I had lots of leftover cheese from my birthday party last week, including some Bleu D'Auvergne. I had bread at the party, but that ran out. I haven't had crackers in the house. The cheese is gone. I did not make pasta :wub: .

Here is my secret indulgence with Stilton.

I buy a whole round for the holidays. I have some nifty antique cheese scoops I inherited and quite a bit of the cheese is consumed au naturale at a holiday gathering or two.

I scoop out the remainder, which is mixed with "other stuff" - things my friends and I like with it - but I try to maintain a fairly substantial outer "rind" for later use.

I have a deep souffle dish into which the Stilton fits perfectly and I trim off the one inch or so that extends above the rim of the dish.

Into the hollow cheese goes homemade potato soup, which is then ladeled into individual bowls or sometimes mugs.

The warm soup acquires some of the Stilton flavor and takes the homely potato to new heights.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I can see the epitaph now: "Here lies she who was electrocuted while reading eGullet" -- cause of death: drooling on the keyboard at andiesenji's Stilton Hoop Soup :rolleyes:

I buy a whole round for the holidays.  I have some nifty antique cheese scoops I inherited and quite a bit of the cheese is consumed au naturale at a holiday gathering or two.

I scoop out the remainder, which is mixed with "other stuff" - things my friends and I like with it - but I try to maintain a fairly substantial outer "rind" for later use.

I have a deep souffle dish into which the Stilton fits perfectly and I trim off the one inch or so that extends above the rim of the dish.

Into the hollow cheese goes homemade potato soup, which is then ladeled into individual bowls or sometimes mugs.

The warm soup acquires some of the Stilton flavor and takes the homely potato to new heights.

I can see the epitaph now: "Here lies she who was electrocuted while reading eGullet" -- cause of death: drooling on the keyboard at andiesenji's Stilton Hoop Soup  :rolleyes:

I buy a whole round for the holidays.  I have some nifty antique cheese scoops I inherited and quite a bit of the cheese is consumed au naturale at a holiday gathering or two.

One problem in serving it as a starter is that some people want to make an entire meal of it and one has to be firm about denying seconds (or thirds) otherwise the entree will be ignored. At a New Year's Day gathering a few years ago I found two of the guys, who had volunteered to do cleanup, in the kitchen, tearing apart a baguette and using the bread to scrape out whatever was still in the dish. One told me that he had never cared for potato soup and didn't care much for Stilton, but the combination was dynamite.

If I was lucky enough to be invited, I would be one of the guys with the illegal baguette.

PS Love your avatar!

I can see the epitaph now: "Here lies she who was electrocuted while reading eGullet" -- cause of death: drooling on the keyboard at andiesenji's Stilton Hoop Soup   :rolleyes:

One problem in serving it as a starter is that some people want to make an entire meal of it and one has to be firm about denying seconds (or thirds) otherwise the entree will be ignored. At a New Year's Day gathering a few years ago I found two of the guys, who had volunteered to do cleanup, in the kitchen, tearing apart a baguette and using the bread to scrape out whatever was still in the dish. One told me that he had never cared for potato soup and didn't care much for Stilton, but the combination was dynamite.

OK, I will admit to using a teaspoon with some Danish Blue but I don't think I could be that informal with the Stilton. To think that as a kid processed cheese is all I would eat.

For Stilton, nothing works as well as one of these:

gallery_17399_60_31123.jpg

I have bought a couple on ebay. Perhaps not quite as pretty as this one, but perfectly adequate.

I like the older ones because they are stronger at the base of the bowl. The fancywork is not just for decoration but acts as a buttress and keeps it from bending.

In the photo you can see that the narrowest part of the shaft is thicker than in regular spoons, even serving spoons.

There is also the Stilton server that some people think are neater, but one loses the "case."

like this

Edited by andiesenji (log)