• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese With Other Stuff In It

Khadija

Variety is the spice of life. The more cheese & cheese with things in it, the more there is to try. My grandfather introduced me to things I wouldn't have tried on my own, pig snouts, beef tongue, tripe. I won't be satisfied until I try everything at least once.

I smoke cheese for the holidays. Swiss, cheddar & pepperjack take just a hint of pecan smoke and wear it very well. I started smoking a pound a few years ago now I'm up to five. The trick is to keep the cheese as cold as possible, the smoke light and smoke it for as long as you can. You get the full taste of the cheese with a hint of pecan.

I think trying new things is valuable, if in trying new things one gets exposed to good things. And certainly, this thread is making me realise that there are probably some cheeses-with-stuff that would be good, and it would be good for me to try them (e.g., truffled cheeses).

But I don't think that variety is inherently valuable. There is a lot of over-priced crappy cheese available at my local grocery store (in the "fancy cheese" section) that was not available ten years ago. I don't think consumers are better off for it.

Actually, a lot of that crappy cheese is cheese-flavoured-with-liquid smoke. I have had a couple of naturally smoked cheeses that I've liked. But they're not widely available. I think a lot of consumers think of cheese-flavoured-with-liquid-smoke when they think of smoked cheese.

I would be happy if we could all have access to pig snouts, beef tongue, and tripe, instead of a dozen kinds of Triscuits :raz: .

I would be happy if we could all have access to pig snouts, beef tongue, and tripe, instead of a dozen kinds of Triscuits :raz: .

I am certainly with you on that one!

The original Triscuits can be "enhanced" by the consumer and not with all the artificial flavorings and additives that are required for the various "flavors."

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I think trying new things is valuable, if in trying new things one gets exposed to good things.  And certainly, this thread is making me realise that there are probably some cheeses-with-stuff that would be good, and it would be good for me to try them (e.g., truffled cheeses). 

But I don't think that variety is inherently valuable.  There is a lot of over-priced crappy cheese available at my local grocery store (in the "fancy cheese" section) that was not available ten years ago. I don't think consumers are better off for it.

Actually, a lot of that crappy cheese is cheese-flavoured-with-liquid smoke.  I have had a couple of naturally smoked cheeses that I've liked.  But they're not widely available.  I think a lot of consumers think of cheese-flavoured-with-liquid-smoke when they think of smoked cheese.

Re: smoked cheese vs. cheese flavored with liquid smoke: I'm definitely with you on that one. The difference is like night and day. I discovered this after purchasing some naturally smoked Gouda at Whole Foods one week and comparing it to the industrial-grade variety found just about everywhere. Of course, as much of the flavor in many liquid smoke flavorings comes not from any captured smoke but from the molasses or other similar stuff added to it, this should come as no surprise.

Re: flavored Triscuits: I'm not completely with you on that one. I might rethink this if I read the ingredients list closely, but just as I like flavored potato chips knowing full well that the flavors are often powdered or otherwise processed substances, I find some of the new Triscuit flavors interesting. Of course, plain Triscuits are still best to serve with cheese, but the herb and rosemary/olive oil flavors can complement several good cheeses.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Re: smoked cheese vs. cheese flavored with liquid smoke:  I'm definitely with you on that one.  The difference is like night and day.  I discovered this after purchasing some naturally smoked Gouda at Whole Foods one week and comparing it to the industrial-grade variety found just about everywhere.

I don't know that I've ever had any smoked cheese apart from industrial smoked cheddar or gouda. On rare occasions I've found them to be a good companion to some impromptu snack when traveling - like smoked baby oysters in a can. I know that in the big scheme of things it's very pedestrian food but when I'm in the mood it's great. I will nose around at Wegman's for the naturally smoked cheese and try some for comparative purposes.

I've tried a few cheeses with horseradish or hot peppers added to them but tired of it after a few small pieces. On the other hand... many of those cheeses make for very interesting grilled cheese sandwiches. I did find an English cheese last summer that has veins of Guinness Stout running throughout it. Instinct tells me it could make an unusual grilled cheese sandwich if partnered with the right bread and condiments but I haven't had a chance to revisit it.

Re: flavored Triscuits:  I'm not completely with you on that one.  I might rethink this if I read the ingredients list closely, but just as I like flavored potato chips knowing full well that the flavors are often powdered or otherwise processed substances, I find some of the new Triscuit flavors interesting.  Of course, plain Triscuits are still best to serve with cheese, but the herb and rosemary/olive oil flavors can complement several good cheeses.

I haven't tried the flavored Triscuits but perhaps I should. With flavored potato chips or tortilla chips I start out liking them but after a few small handfuls immediately tire of the flavor - unlike good conventional chips. But then there's always Chicken in a Biskit Crackers - which don't taste much like chicken or biscuits.

there's a big chevre industry out there that's based on curd w/ bling bling....

pretty stupid, what is essentially low fat cream cheese (fresh chevre, fromage blanc, yada yada), gussied up w/ cheap herbs from sams club.......dried fruit, sun dried tomatos,......

yuck.........

In sandwiches (grilled cheese), I sometimes kind of like spiced cheeses. I also kind of enjoy cheese with liquid smoke, if I'm in a particular kind of mood, but again, the the focal flavour point is liquid smoke (not cheese). However, I don't think these cheeses belong on a cheese plate or at a cheese party.

The Triscuit complaint is a bit of a joke. I actually really love the rosemary ones, too :wub: . Sometimes, I just get a bit tired of companies creating seemingly endless variations on the same product. Not long ago, I went to the store to buy a box of Wheat Thins. I was in a hurry. I found low-sodium Wheat Thins, multi-grain Wheat Thins, low-fat Wheat Thins, sundried tomato Wheat Thins, vegetable Wheat Thins, mini Wheat Thins...I sought help from a store employee, which just resulted in one more person confusedly searching for the box of crackers among all the possibilities.

The experience was overwhelming and annoying. You would not believe what happened when I proceeded to try to buy anchovies. I got sent from the fish counter, to the "imported foods" section, to the pasta section, to the olive bar. Guess where they were? In the dairy section. Go figure.

I don't know if there is an idea that having more options increases "consumer freedom," but if this is the idea, I disagree.

I still haven't forgiven Nabisco for killing off Twigs, which were my favorite "cracker" product for the several years they were a staple. I still can't understand why because they were very popular.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I haven't tried the flavored Triscuits but perhaps I should.  With flavored potato chips or tortilla chips I start out liking them but after a few small handfuls immediately tire of the flavor - unlike good conventional chips.  But then there's always Chicken in a Biskit Crackers - which don't taste much like chicken or biscuits.

(emphasis added)

You just had to go there, didn't you?

Those are imprinted in my brain as reversion-to-childhood food, like Life cereal.

Brick cheese and Kaukana spreadable -- the stuff that used to, but no longer does, come in that cute little clay crock -- are as close as I get to this on the cheese side. Neither of those have stuff in them.

I haven't tried the flavored Triscuits but perhaps I should.  With flavored potato chips or tortilla chips I start out liking them but after a few small handfuls immediately tire of the flavor - unlike good conventional chips.  But then there's always Chicken in a Biskit Crackers - which don't taste much like chicken or biscuits.

(emphasis added)

You just had to go there, didn't you?

Those are imprinted in my brain as reversion-to-childhood food, like Life cereal.

Brick cheese and Kaukana spreadable -- the stuff that used to, but no longer does, come in that cute little clay crock -- are as close as I get to this on the cheese side. Neither of those have stuff in them.

On other threads about cheese I have mentioned my love of brick cheese and my questioning of why it doesn't seem to be shipped out of Wisconsin for local retail sales.

Of course, I have been ordering it for years, long before the WWW made it so much easier. There is just nothing quite like a chunk of brick.

Now, if only the Liederkranz culture had not become extinct.... and if only the rumors of a viable culture somewhere in New Zealand were true. :rolleyes:

I also don't want to sound like I berate people for enjoying cheese with stuff in it. (Although every cheese I've ever tried with with cranberries has been, in my opinion, absolutely disgusting).

Which is why I don't quite get the purism on cheese with added ingredients (though I agree with you wholeheartedly on the inappropriateness of cranberries as an add-in -- I got a horribly incorrect impression of Wensleydale, which is a wonderful crumbly cheese, by first being exposed to some with cranberries in it).

I recently had macaroni and cheese with -- guess what? -- dried cranberries in it, and I'd like to add my vote against them with cheese. It was one of the worst surprises of my life.

If we have three votes against cranberries with cheese, can we exercise veto power?

Man, I used to love those chicken in a biskit crackers. They taste as if they're saturated with supercondensed, supersalty broth. I've never tried those "flavored" Triscuits, though. Flavor in the triscuit itself seems wrong, even though I like flavored potato chips. It's like flavored rice cakes: also wrong. The most satisfying cheese to top crackers (or chili), for me, has to be Tillamook medium cheddar, ideally bought in a big brick-shaped loaf. Tasty, tasty.

I also don't want to sound like I berate people for enjoying cheese with stuff in it. (Although every cheese I've ever tried with with cranberries has been, in my opinion, absolutely disgusting).

Which is why I don't quite get the purism on cheese with added ingredients (though I agree with you wholeheartedly on the inappropriateness of cranberries as an add-in -- I got a horribly incorrect impression of Wensleydale, which is a wonderful crumbly cheese, by first being exposed to some with cranberries in it).

I recently had macaroni and cheese with -- guess what? -- dried cranberries in it, and I'd like to add my vote against them with cheese. It was one of the worst surprises of my life.

If we have three votes against cranberries with cheese, can we exercise veto power?

Cranberries in mac n' cheese? That is wrong on just too many levels.

Man, I used to love those chicken in a biskit crackers. They taste as if they're saturated with supercondensed, supersalty broth. I've never tried those "flavored" Triscuits, though. Flavor in the triscuit itself seems wrong, even though I like flavored potato chips.  It's like flavored rice cakes: also wrong.  The most satisfying cheese to top crackers (or chili), for me, has to be Tillamook medium cheddar, ideally bought in a big brick-shaped loaf. Tasty, tasty.

<HomerSimpson>

Mmmmmm...Tillamook.

</HomerSimpson>

Personally, I prefer sharp Cheddars for snacking, though I have had some very good milder Cheddars from Wisconsin. Maybe I should give Tillamook's medium Cheddars a try -- their Vintage White is excellent. They're up there with (okay, okay, a notch above) Cabot as the best Cheddar in the supermarket dairy case.

I sense that we can state that it is the consensus of this group that cranberries-and-cheese combinations are an abomination.

I tried chevre with cranberries in it (about a year back), and I did not like it at all. Did I hate it? No...I didn't hate it. But I did not like it either. And - I love chevre (I love all cheese....all good cheese that is).

I am with you guys....cranberries in cheese is disgusting.

I have tried a few other cheeses with "stuff" in them (or flavored cheeses) (garlic havarati, smoked cheeses, and others)...some are okay, some are even good, but I prefer cheese as is...nothing "non cheesy" in it. However, I have to admit I love ash and herb coated goats cheeses.....but I beleive that those flavors compliment the cheese, versus taking over the flavor like many other add-ins do.

My farmers market has a cheese vendor, Bunkow Cheese Farm, that offers a spreadable raw mink cheddar cheese in a little plastic tub - and these are great. I do prefer the plain one....as they also have a cheddar with horshradish and a cheddar with tomato and basil (both are the same basic spreadable raw milk cheese - just flavored varieties). The tomato basil one is good...I hate the horshradish but that is because I hate horshradish....it is popular at the market though. However, like I said I prefer the plain. It is in my fridge right now....

*walks over to fridge to get some*

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

I've got nothing against cranberries in certain cheeses, but it has to be a strong assertive cheese and far too often, cranberries simply overwhelm the more delicate cheeses.

I don't buy cheeses with cranberries, but I have added dried cranberries (homemade or home-dried, because I know what goes into or on them) to certain cheeses with good results - but a little goes a long way.

I do chop them fairly fine and plump them by briefly steaming them (time depends on how "old" they are) first.

Christmas-before-last, someone gave me a Bulgarian cheese called Cashkaval which was extremely strong and very sharp - the type that sort of burns the roof of the mouth...

It was definitely not a "nibbling" cheese and I actually considered tossing it but decided to try an experiment.

I put about 3 or 4 ounces through a meat grinder and mixed it with some of my homemade cream cheese, about 50/50 and added some plumped cranberries and some onion confit, blended it and packed it into a container and allowed it to "mature" a day or so.

The result was very good. The strong flavor of the cheese had been tamed by the other ingredients and I made up a larger batch and took it along to a party where it was a hit.

I have the feeling that some producers add things that are "fashionable" or "healthy" - one cheese package that included blueberries had a bright sticker, added to the wraper that noted "Antioxidant Phytochemicals in Blueberries Essential for Healthy Diet!" but included no further details about the percentages or other info.

A few years back there were more "herbed" cheeses and cheese products and no fruited cheeses at all.

Then a producer marketed a cheese with cranberries that got some press and others jumped on the bandwagon without evaluating the type of cheeses that would benefit by these additions and as mentioned earlier using the additions to enhance a mediocre product.

Two of the most satisfying cheddars I have consumed in recent years is one from Ireland, Kerrygold and sold at Sam's Club in larger slabs that available in supermarkets, and the aged cheddar from The Wisconsin Cheeseman which is sharp, but not too sharp, buttery and very versatile. (I usually order the 3-pound chunk for my own use.)

Last year I bought from the same vendor, Sweet Italian Cheese Wheel which was a 1-pound semi-soft cheese which was incredibly tasty. ($22.95 for the pound) I sent it as gifts to a couple of friends who do not care for sharp cheeses and to my daughter and her family who like all types of cheese.

It was so well received that I intended to order it again, however it is not listed on their website and at Amazon is noted as being "unavailable." Too bad.

However a visit to the website did reveal that they have a

New product which I have ordered!

This vendor provides exceptional service.

I think andiesenji and LindsayAnn brings up several excellent points.

I think my main problem is cheese-with-stuff, where the stuff is gratuitous. Where the stuff is just there for the sake of "kicking it up another notch," or something, but the stuff does not obviously complement or enhance the flavour of the cheese.

I wouldn't have as much a problem with the fruit in cheese thing, if I could ensure that the fruit was fresh. So, adding the cheese shortly before serving sounds fine. But in cheese-with-fruit in it I've tried, the fruit has seemed "aged," and not in a good way.

I stick with the view that mac n' cheese with cranberries is wrong. But as I've said, I don't even like bacon in my mac n' cheese, and I am a friend of bacon if there ever was one. Actually, given all I've said, it may seem strange for me to say that one of my mac n' cheese "secrets" is to infuse the milk for the white sauce with pear (apple once in a while). I heat the milk slowly with a chopped up pear, but I always strain the milk and discard the pear. I think the pear adds a nice mild accent to the cheese, but I would never want chunks of fruit in the final dish.

Cranberries in mac n' cheese?  That is wrong on just too many levels.

I used to put broccoli in my mac n' cheese. It was pretty darn good. Not AS good, mind you, as homemade rich macaroni and cheese au naturel, but it sure made it easier to get my kids to eat broccoli.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Broccoli, green peas, and bacon are probably the top three things that I "get" as add-ins to mac n' cheese. That is, I think these things make a lot of sense as complements to mac n' cheese.

I have a bit of a mac n' cheese obsession, though. It's my favourite dish in the world, and I am constantly in search of the best mac in cheese. Mac n' cheese that achieves its status from bacon, broccoli, etc. is "cheating," from my perspective.

Edited by Khadija (log)

Mac n' cheese that achieves its status from bacon, broccoli, etc. is "cheating," from my perspective.

Something tells me you haven't raised children. If you had spent years trying to coax reluctant kiddos to eat their veggies, you'd understand that there is no such thing as "cheating."

:raz:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Mac n' cheese that achieves its status from bacon, broccoli, etc. is "cheating," from my perspective.

Something tells me you haven't raised children.

Guilty as charged :wink: . I think not raising children is conducive to cultivating high degrees of particularity (wacko obsession) about one's aesthetic preferences :wacko::laugh: .

My local store sets out samples of a couple of their specialty cheeses daily, and I just tried the most pungent havarti with horseradish and fresh chives. Holy batman, that was crazy. I couldn't taste the chives, much less the cheese, through the exceedingly piquant horseradish. I like horseradish fine, but wow, was there ever a lot of it in there. Not a future purchase.

I thought I'd toss another "add on" into the mix: what do you all think about wine/alcohol IN cheese? Khadijah has mentioned a number of non-cheese items she's not keen on and I tend to agree but I'm a die-hard fan of ported Stilton. In fact, I'll be crocking up a couple of pounds for Christmas very shortly. I've also recently gotten hooked on Drunken Goat, a tasty red-wine (forget which one, philistine that I am) infused Spanish queso. Thoughts?

Broccoli, green peas, and bacon are probably the top three things that I "get" as add-ins to mac n' cheese.  That is, I think these things make a lot of sense as complements to mac n' cheese. 

I have a bit of a mac n' cheese obsession, though.  It's my favourite dish in the world, and I am constantly in search of the best mac in cheese. Mac n' cheese that achieves its status from bacon, broccoli, etc. is "cheating," from my perspective.

Consider this an invitation to visit Delilah's at the Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia. Don't have time for a full visit? Hop off the train at 30th Street Station, go to Delilah's in the food court in the south concourse, and catch the next train to where you're going.

You may have heard of proprietor Delilah Winder's fabulous seven-cheese orgy -- the mac 'n' cheese pronounced the best by none other than Oprah Winfrey, but which nonetheless got whipped by a five-cheese Bobby Flay number on an episode of Throwdown with Bobby Flay.