• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ham Ji Bak, Korean restaurant

Gastro888

Not really reviewing or reporting on the restaurant, but I have a question.

Went to Ham Ji Bak last night in the Murray Hill section of Flushing, Queens. This restaurant is the best place for samgyupsal (BBQ pork belly) in the area. They're generous with the panchan and service is usually friendly.

We've been there several times before and normally, we usually order 1 order of samgyupsal which they grill at our table. Last night, they changed the rules on us and said we needed to order 2 orders of samgyupsal in order to have it grilled at the table. Begrudgingly, we orders a samgyupsal and a bulgolgi. I usually don't have a problem eating lots of meat but I didn't appreciate the new requirement. (Note: it was not mentioned anywhere on the menu)

Is this normal at most Korean restaurants? Has anyone else been to Ham Ji Bak and experienced this?

Just curious, thanks.

It's standard procedure at several Korean restaurants I've been to: they don't want to set up the tabletop grill for just one order of barbecue.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I wasn't sure as other places have it mentioned on the menu and Ham Ji Bak did one order on the grill in the past with no issue at all. I don't mind eating lots of pork belly if I don't want to eat anything else and they had a clear policy. I wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience.

BTW, it IS really good there...