• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Pizza in London

I'm sure some people hate threads like this, so please ignore if you are amongst them.

I've just been to Sicily though and had some great pizza over there. Spent some time in Naples a couple of years ago as well and, as expected, they were great too.

Can anywhere in London match them? Obviously I am coming at this from a fairly purist perspective (no gammon and pineapple).

I used to enjoy Pizza Express but recent visits have been shockingly poor.

The only place I have found to date that has come close is La Pernella, on Garratt Lane in Earlsfield. They have Neopolitan roots and I think the pizzas there are the best I have tried in the UK. Service is erratic mind you, but I can live with that. Can anyone share any other recommendations?

Edited by Siharris28 (log)

I agree the Luna Rossa pizzas are pretty good but the service is appalling. They ran out of mozzarella (I know - in a pizza restaurant) one time we were there and tried to insist to us that what they had put on there was mozz. Unfortunately for them my dining companion was Neapolitan so she let them know, in dialect, exactly what the situation was! Try the bread though if you go - it is truly delicious.

I'd also recommend Spacca Napoli just off Oxford Street. Don't let the location put you off the pizza is pretty authentic. I don't recommend anything else there - just the pizza - but it is very good.

Edited by joesan (log)

There is a place on Old Brompton Road near the corner of Earls Court Road called La Pappardella (I believe this is the name.. there are a few Italian places on that street... this one of the most West...).

They make an excellent pizza, as good as my recent visit to Venice (granted not the pizza capital of Italy.. but....), and they cost about 6-8quid. I would also eat the lasagna there, but few other items have been successful.

Pizza Metro in Clapham (if you can that London...) is good. Not as good as the very best in Italy but certainly one of the better offerings outside Italy.

Clapham's not far from me so will definitely try that place, thanks for the tip.

And Clapham definitely is London in my book! Are you from North London by any chance??!! :biggrin:

I favour Donna Margarita over La Pernella, living close to both. Especially as on occasions I found La Pernella's pizza to be very, very salty. Go for the Donna Margarita pizza at Donna Margarita - simple cherry tomato, basil and mozarella with a bottle of their excellent value Ripasso Valpolicella.

Spacca Napoli is good but......

How can you not mention that round the corner in Noel Street is the best pizza in London at Pizza Maletti?

Sold by the slice, everything is good but the spicy salami is stunning. There's pasta and risotti too and it's either standing up, sitting in Soho square or taking back to the office to piss everybody off who's just bought a healthy salad.

The servers at Maletti will not stand for people trying to order whilst talking on their mobile. A rule which, in my opinion, should be universally adopted.

Buon appetito!

Jay Rayner mentioned Donna Margherita, 183 Lavender Hill, London SW11 a couple of weeks ago.......

Donna Margherita

I can only agree with it, great neapolitan oven (which you need for great neapolitan pizza) and passion. They have re-shuffle the pizzamakers and can still improve and I am confident they will do so over the next 6 to 18 months

• 2 weeks later...
Pizza Metro in Clapham (if you can that London...) is good. Not as good as the very best in Italy but certainly one of the better offerings outside Italy.

Clapham's not far from me so will definitely try that place, thanks for the tip.

And Clapham definitely is London in my book! Are you from North London by any chance??!! :biggrin:

How did you guess?

South London is surely anywhere south of the Central Line but north of the river? Heh heh...just joking.

Had a couple of pizzas at Pizza Express then several in Napoli in the last fortnight. I think Italy has us beat on this one. There's nothing like a simple pizza of fresh tomato sauce, fresh and fluffy buffalo mozzarella, and some simple herbs, like those made in the and around the Central train Station area of Naples.

Stephen Bonner

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

• 3 months later...

Went to Luna Rossa last night. Had a Margerita with Buffalo Mozzarella... the mozzarella was far too salty, and I felt there was too much cheese / sauce which left the base extremely soggy. Not the worst pizza in London, but certainly not the best.

Right now, I'd have to say that Red Pepper in Maida Vale is the best pizza in London (that I've yet tried!)

was there about 6 months ago and found it merely OK...luna rossa is certainly better, as is the pizza at other made in italy joints.

none however come close to top pizza in italy.

-che

• 3 weeks later...
I favour Donna Margarita over La Pernella, living close to both. Especially as on occasions I found La Pernella's pizza to be very, very salty. Go for the Donna Margarita pizza at Donna Margarita - simple cherry tomato, basil and mozarella with a bottle of their excellent value Ripasso Valpolicella.

Just to balance my previous comment - went to La Pernella on Friday, rocking up at 10pm after leaving drinks for a colleague and they were brilliant. As was the half metre pizza. No extra salt in sight.

Edited by Gareth G (log)

Right now, I'd have to say that Red Pepper in Maida Vale is the best pizza in London (that I've yet tried!)

They've just put a sign in the window saying that due to popular demand they are now opening Thursday and Friday lunchtime. The power of e-gullet?

I have been involved with a new project that should open next Saturday in Brixton.

We have worked on the dough recipe, sourcing an authentic neapolitan oven and mixer from Forno Napoletano and consulted on other aspects of the concept.

I will give you further info later in the week, but I am pretty confident that this place should shoot up at the very top of the Neapolitan Pizza offer in London

I have been involved with a new project that should open next Saturday in Brixton.

We have worked on the dough recipe, sourcing an authentic neapolitan oven and mixer from Forno Napoletano and consulted on other aspects of the concept.

I will give you further info later in the week, but I am pretty confident that this place should shoot up at the very top of the Neapolitan Pizza offer in London

Is this in the old Francos/Eco site in the market? Or are you from Eco?

loved the pizzas at giusto (http://www.giustorestaurant.com/ - sorry don't know how to do hyperlinks...).  really lovely guys, really passionate about what they do.

Count another vote for Giusto, I've been taking a lot of business trips to London lately and I make it a point to eat there at least once per trip. Really lovely pizza.

Is this in the old Francos/Eco site in the market?  Or are you from Eco?

It is in the old Eco's site, but it has been bought by a new neapolitan owner

I will give you more info once the opening is confirmed

please do...very curious to see if anyone can reproduce pizza outside of Italy in just the same way.