• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marble Top Work Station

sugarlove

I would like to purchase a work table (casters would be nice) with a marble top with racks. Is there a place I can purchase one or would I have to buy all of the components separate and assemble myself? What size would you recommend? This will be used for chocolate work and fondant.

TIA

since nobody else is chiming in here:

i would probably go for a stainless worktable in the size, shape, configuration that you like and then buy separate marble (or granite) slabs to put on top. it is a little cost prohibitive to get something like that custom made (but i don't know, you could be a millionaire :wink: ).

when i was pricing this type of thing out a couple of years ago, it can run you anywhere from several hundred dollars on up depending on size and materials.

i guess nobody can really recommend a size for you because we don't know what your batch sizes will be like. humanly reasonable fondant batches are relatively small. nowadays, most people just buy the fondant already made. and when you talk about chocolate work, you're not tabling to temper are you?

true it depends on how big of a batch you are making. and also are you making this at home or in the shop?? if it's home i suggest going to IKEA and getting one of their island counter top and putting a marble slab on it... if its a shop i suggest have one cumtom made...

you might try going to granite/marble stone shops. they usually have a "boneyard" with random sized pieces, that are leftover from a job and you can get them for cheap.

also, we have a recycled builders materials exchange here in seattle with tons of scrap you can get from people taking apart their houses.

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe