• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

L'Atelier de Jean-Luc Rabenel, Arles

cigalechanta

Jean Luc Rabanel, former chef at La Chassagnette in the Camargue has opened his own restaurant. www.rabanel.com

7 rue des carmes

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

• 3 weeks later...

Jean-Luc-Rbinal at the La chassagenette in the Camargue has opened his own small restaurant in Arles at 7 rue des Carnes, Arles

Rumours say the organic farm will now have a bistro. If anyone has an update I'd like to know if that happens

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

• 3 months later...

This restaurant was definitely one of the highlights of our stay in France. By chance we were told about it by Benedcite who had done a “stage” with Jean Luc on the Friday, and by an even greater stroke of luck got a table on a Sunday night.

The formula is simple. Up to 20 dishes served "tapas style" for a set price of 50 euros with no choice. We lost count after about 16. The two waiting staff are passionate about the dishes which are presented with a flourish and a mouth-watering description. You can even peak into the kitchen by means of a TV monitor to see what is going on. Inside the restaurant is white, with touches of red and black in vases or plates with about 36 covers. Outside wooden benches

Jean Luc Rabanel visits his garden (3 hectares) each day to see what is fresh, this then inspires the menu. We thought at the beginning, how could we eat so many dishes and not get too full or overwhelmed. The pictures probably speak for themselves. I urge you to go visit, but book first!

L’atelier de Jean-Luc Rabanel

7 rue de Carmes

13200 Arles

04 90 91 07 69

jlr@cuisinetc.com

Here are some of our pictures, please excuse lighting on some of them.

Tuna confit. Cooked long and slow to a pate consistency.

gallery_11246_3259_290360.jpg

A selection of the freshest vegetables on toast with a light dressing. Including courgettes, radish, caulifloer, celeriac, pepper, rose petals

gallery_11246_3259_87628.jpg

I am still dreaming about this one. Carrots with a very light batter studded with cumin seeds, just cooked inside. Either sweet and sour or soy dressing. Don't you just love the dishes they are served in too?

gallery_11246_3259_312615.jpg

Gazpacho. Tomato with a kick, a smoky flavour with chile? Thick and creamy. Served with a tiny baguette tomato and parmesan flavoured.

gallery_11246_3259_410370.jpg

Spring Salad. "Leaves" of beetroot curled round and round, with a filling of rocket and parmesan. Served with beetroot jelly and nasturtium flowers which we instructed to eat giving a peppery flavour.

gallery_11246_3259_31236.jpg

Marinated tuna, served on asparagus beans (?) and toasted hazelnuts. Marinaded in xeres, soy and balsamic vinegar

gallery_11246_3259_194051.jpg

A "ravioli" stuffed with spinach, in a rich onion broth, served with peas and borage flower.

gallery_11246_3259_406192.jpg

Artichoke heart with the stalk retained so you could dip into the sauce "barigoule" served with courgette flower and jambon de serano.

gallery_11246_3259_76754.jpg

Tuna tepanyaki, seared on one side, served with sauted potatoes and onions. Yes, more tuna, but each tasted so different!

gallery_11246_3259_290000.jpg

Lamb: (No image) Grilled lamb, roasted shallot, garlic, aubergine, rich jus. Dare I say not as tasty as Scottish lamb!

Cheese course with salad - we missed this out.

Desserts - Oh my goodness!

A deconstructed tiramisu, biscuity on bottom, creamy on top

gallery_11246_3259_143778.jpg

Another triumph, sweet potato in a sweet batter which you dipped into passionfruit foam.

gallery_11246_3259_179957.jpg

Pure and simple, roasted apricot, lavender honey and almonds

gallery_11246_3259_194496.jpg

Lemon fromage frais ice cream, licorice stick and brandy snap lid

gallery_11246_3259_395287.jpg

Chocolate crips, mini chocolate cake with a sweet sauce - probably the least successful, rather too sweet.

gallery_11246_3259_108393.jpg

Two very happy people are still dreaming of this evening

Danielle Ellis

Edinburgh Scotland

www.edinburghfoody.com

There is just one sitting. Not sure how far in advance you have to book - there are only about 36 covers, so as long as possible?

Danielle Ellis

Edinburgh Scotland

www.edinburghfoody.com

• 6 months later...
There is just one sitting. Not sure how far in advance you have to book - there are only about 36 covers, so as long as possible?

Great pictures Danielle. It is a lovely restaurant. We went in October 2006 and were able to get in with just a few days notice, but it is more difficult in the middle of summer.

Roger McShane

Foodtourist.com

• 7 months later...

Recently returned from France. We had a reservation at L'Atelier de Jean-Luc Rabenel. As much as I enjoy Rabanel's cooking, I was disappointed. When he was at the Chassagnette, following the chefs from Chez Juju, he served everything in organic inspired serving dishes and you sat at wooden tables facing the organic garden, with the

herbs growing in the foreground where butterflies danced overhead. In Arles the servings were on white pottery and inside modern-zen atmosphere, as he calls it and the tables are set on the street with passing by folk glaring at your food and neighbors going in and out of their home. I missed the bucolic setting of Chassagnette, and like the chef at El Buli, he had the trendy foam in two of the dishes.We were to encounter this at two other places.

Most of the combinations he served tasted fine. Two were not for me but his verbina and lemon grass ice cream was superb!

Another trend besides the foam, were the salads that combined tomatoes with melon, apple and other fruits.

• 7 months later...

I apologize ahead of time for my rudimentary knowledge. I had read on these and other board about La Chassagnette. It sounded amazing. I didn't connect the chef with L'Atelier de Jean-Luc Rabenel. :blush:

How is La Chassagnette now? worth going to? 9we are staying in arles for three nights.

L'Atelier does only one menu? so if we don't eat meat or shellfish, we would be out of luck?

Well I am not a fan of his new place in Arles. He's jumped on the foam bandwagon

and sittting outside where you sit on the street is very distracting. A crying baby at the café that sits next to it. Neighbors go in and out of their apartments.

I'd like feed back on the new chef at La Chassagnette. My French magazines have praised him.

I apologize ahead of time for my rudimentary knowledge.  I had read on these and other board about La Chassagnette.  It sounded amazing.  I didn't connect the chef with L'Atelier de Jean-Luc Rabenel. :blush:

How is La Chassagnette now?  worth going to?  9we are staying in arles for three nights.

L'Atelier does only one menu?  so if we don't eat meat or shellfish, we would be out of luck?

The set menu is about twenty varied small plates, all tremendous,and it was for

about 55 euros last year.I loved it

Tarek

FYI for others, I wrote Atelier

and they replied:

We confirm you that we can welcome you with pleasure to the Atelier.

Even if you do not eat shells ans meats it raise no problem, it is to

indicate it to us in the booking.

We have two menus, mainly consisted of vegetables. :biggrin: