• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shopping Lists/Kitchen Notebooks

Jamie Lee

How did yours come out, Jamie?

Sigh... don't you hate it when life gets in the way of cooking? :angry:

Haven't made it yet, you?

I usually note the source, date, volume, etc. but for some reason didn't this time (just taped and "went")

I've moved to a new efficiency, and goodness help me, I'm a block from a Trader Joes, a block from my fav PNW "all in one" superstore - Fred Meyers - and have a new asian market, not a mile from my new "place"....

Life can be good.

Autumn Cranberry Beef Stew is still on the list. I'll post on "What did we have for Dinner" thread WHEN (not if!) I get to it! :biggrin:

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy

I have to say that this topic has encouraged me to make much more frequent use of my kitchen notebook! It's now chock full of ideas - all I need is time and opportunity to put some of them to the test. :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Planning for the next few days produces this list:

gallery_403_5344_17823.jpg

What I need at the stores. What's missing off the bottom of the list is cold cuts.

gallery_403_5344_294889.jpg

And what I have picked up so far. That's .64 for red potatoes, .73 for the crimini mushrooms, .57 for garlic, .50 for 3 limes, .59 for green onion and .64 for red pepper. 3.67 total

gallery_403_5344_261852.jpg

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I don't have my list in front of me as I'm not at home but one thing I do when I put my grocery list together is that I organize my list in the order that I come across things in the store and so that items that are similar (ie fruits and vegetables) are all together so that I'm not running back and forth between departments. If I'm going to do my shopping at Save-On-Foods, first on my list is breads, then fruit and veggies, meat and seafood products, canned goods/convenience foods, frozen items, eggs, dairy products. If I'm going to be shopping at Superstore, the order changes. I've got a pad of paper that is magnetised and lives on my fridge where I write down things as I run out. When it is time to do my list, I start a new piece of paper so that the item can be put in with the other items in that category.

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

Wow, Suzi...

Not only do you have beautiful handwriting, but man, do you know how to shop! (Your prices are so good!)

I had trouble finding frozen pearl onions.... did you? There was a small bag of fresh, but given the price and knowing what a PITA it would be to cook and peel, I'm going with "regular" onions, unless tonights re-visit to Trader Joe's yields a bounty.

I especially was intrigued by the fact that you apparently cook separate lunches for you and J... is this standard practice? Is dinner the same?

Jamie Lee

Wow, Suzi...

Not only do you have beautiful handwriting, but man, do you know how to shop!  (Your prices are so good!)

I had trouble finding frozen pearl onions.... did you?  There was a small bag of fresh, but given the price and knowing what a PITA it would be to cook and peel, I'm going with "regular" onions, unless tonights re-visit to Trader Joe's yields a bounty.

I especially was intrigued by the fact that you apparently cook separate lunches for you and J... is this standard practice? Is dinner the same?

that was from our local Appletree which is a green grocer, meat market, italian deli and sushi place in one. the onions will be gotten at the grocery store when i pick up the cold cuts on my way home tonight.

you'll notice that we will be eating the same thing friday, saturday and sunday night.

as i explained in my blog, i work 3 nights a week(and sometimes 4 if i'm filling in for someone) so right now i actually "cook" one or two days per week and we eat leftovers. that's how i got the bratwurst for saturday's lunch at work. john will have leftover pizza at the hawkwatch. he also ususally has to eat at his desk or in a meeting so wraps, sandwiches, salads are the best thing to send with him for his lunches.

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I also group things by where they are in the store. However my trek through the store is to the heaviest things first (anything in cans or bottles and jars) then to the next lightest, usually meats, then to the fruits and vegetables, etc., etc....

When I shop at the independent produce market I take one of my own carry baskets to fit on top of the grocery trolley because I want to segregate the more delicate fruits and vegetables.

They are used to my little quirks.

When I shop at stores that have bulk foods, grains and such, I take my own Zip-loc bags because far too often the ones provided by the store are much too flimsy and have been known to burst when picked up or when grabbed by the checker..... She had to shut down the line because millet poured into the gap and cascaded under the scale, not to mention spilling all over the floor. Crunchy!

I had to pay for what had already been rung up and the checker and another store employee moved the remainder of my things to another line - and the other employee got me another bag (doubled) of millet. Since then I use my own heavy-duty bags.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'm having a dinner party this weekend, and so far, my lists look like these, although since it's only Monday, they are subject to change. :biggrin:

Menu and planning

gallery_6080_205_234004.jpg

Shopping

gallery_6080_205_242550.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

O.T. warning...

I love Maxine!

I visited Smart & Final this morning. I had a list but forgot to take it along.

The story of my life - I am beginning to wonder if I have that "Old-Timer's disease."

Needless to say, I bought way more than I intended. They did have some stuff on special at pretty good prices. Geez, I can rationalize anything.

I also picked up a couple of things for my neighbors.

I also bought another of the long Dexter/Russell serrated slicers that I find so great for slicing bread.

Cheap enough at 14.99 but today it was only 11.99.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

This is undoubtedly one of my favorite lists of the year (no, make that my favorite!):

gallery_6263_35_28107.jpg

Thursday (yes, Thanksgiving Day), I head north to a resort on the North Shore of Lake Superior with three college buddies. We women have known each other since the mid 70's, and this is our 11th annual. The condo we'll stay in has a full kitchen, fairly well appointed, but we always bring a mess of equipment with us, hence the food processor, rice cooker, sheet pan, parchment and rack.

The list is the result of a few weeks of consultation, and the other women's lists are just as long!

Some of the things (those with an H in front) are supplies for the house to keep Paul, Diana, Heidi and Peter happy while I'm gone), but the rest is all for us. The stuff that is crossed out without an H in front has already been packed.

We have planned way more food and movies than we can possibly consume, but this weekend is all about choices -- and no husbands, no kids, no pets. Oh, not on the list is the case and a half of wine we'll take!

If I lose this list, I'm in trouble.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

O.T. warning...

I love Maxine!

I visited Smart & Final this morning.  I had a list but forgot to take it along.

The story of my life - I am beginning to wonder if I have that "Old-Timer's disease."

Needless to say, I bought way more than I intended.  They did have some stuff on special at pretty good prices.  Geez,  I can rationalize anything. 

Can I get an Amen!?

Here's my grocery list from yesterday:

gallery_20347_2076_46822.jpg

See any of these on it?

gallery_20347_2076_9377.jpg

Triscuits, Wheat Thins and the "Flavor Originals" crackers from Nabisco were all 3/$5 at the Acme, and Ritz and Club crackers were two-for-one. I had coupons good for the entire haul. I figured this should take care of my cracker needs for our Christmas party and holiday entertaining. Of course, I already know I will buy some Carr's Table Water crackers before the month is out, completely forgetting the WFM 365 Brand Entertainer Crackers currently in the pantry.

(BTW, I did buy the bread, fruit juice, hand soap and facial tissue. [Edited to add: And the cashews.] The cleaners will wait until my next trip. I also bought sliced Swiss cheese, two 12-packs of soda, ground beef and a half pork loin; both of the last two were on super special at the Super Fresh.)

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 1 month later...

And so, The Holy Grail of receipt-gawkers! A found shopping list!

gallery_51818_5308_737356.jpg

The store is "Fred Meyer", so her uppercase "f"s are a curiousity...

It took a minute to understand "b.s. chx breast" were Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts. Good price, however!

Butter - 2 for $5.. must be Tillamook - it was advertised in Sunday's paper.

I love "variety beans" - clearly noted as black, kidney and pinto - how cute!

As a finale, note her extravagant upswing on the end of "green onions" - masterpiece!

Thanks, unknown shopper, you brought me some joy today! :biggrin:

Jamie Lee

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since I don't really do "shopping lists," although sometimes I make a small list on my iPhone if Im bored, I guess I'll post my prep lists from work as well as some pages from my recipe book. If you look close, you might recognize a few from The French Laundry. :D Enjoy....

gallery_47876_4493_437327.jpg

gallery_47876_4493_433549.jpg

gallery_47876_4493_433549.jpg

gallery_47876_4493_277731.jpg

gallery_47876_4493_289699.jpg

gallery_47876_4493_52945.jpg

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA