• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shopping Lists/Kitchen Notebooks

Jamie Lee

. . .

:blush: Doesn't anybody else color their shopping lists in?

Oh my, Helen. We can surely see from this topic the difference between the "right" brain people and the "left" brain people. Love your sketches and your colours. :wub:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

here is what my chore list for yesterday - IF it was raining - looked like:

gallery_403_5297_72359.jpg

the shopping list before

gallery_403_5297_578002.jpg

and halfway through

gallery_403_5297_405474.jpg

and the register receipt from Pathmark

gallery_403_5297_186559.jpg

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

suzilightning - I am not brave enough to post my "before" and "after" lists! :shock:

Kerry - neat - that's what I would like to see more of in this topic - kitchen notes - I find them fascinating and often helpful. Can't get helenjp's little sketches and colours out of my mind - so much more fun than my daytimer boring, logical lists.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

This is a rather surprisingly fascinating topic! I have always been a bit voyeuristic about other people’s grocery carts and this is similar. Really fun!

Here is the list that lives on the fridge. We add things as they come up, even if they are long term needs (i.e. – the crock pot). Some things stay on the list for weeks.

gallery_34972_3925_224619.jpg

Then, on shopping day, I make a list on the computer and print it out. I divide it up according to the store (we usually have a Costco stop, a Kroger stop, a drug store stop and a Fresh Market (the specialty food store where I work) stop – today I needed to add Dollar Tree, Michael’s and Office Depot:

gallery_34972_3925_204926.jpg

Sorry for the fuzzy pictures!

Kim

Have always kept a small whiteboard in the kitchen. 3 headings, grocery store, COSTCO, and hardware store. Rules in my house are simple. Need it? Add it to the list. Use the last? Add it to the list. Put back a teaspoon in a quart container? Get beaten about the head and shoulders and have to make a midnight trip in your night clothes. Don't like it? Don't sleep nekkid!

hvr :angry:

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

I currently don't have a shopping list but I'll post a list of ingredients that I needed for my peach cobbler.

gallery_48583_3621_222951.jpg

For my kitchen notebook, I use this:

gallery_48583_3621_210484.jpg

And here's a sample of what's inside...

gallery_48583_3621_185023.jpg

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Suzilightening: Your list had me cracking up! I especially like the notation -Workout (followed by a question mark!)

Domestic Goddess: The "Nothing Book" rocks!

To all, Keep them coming... every list is better than the last one! :biggrin:

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy

Late-est list...

gallery_51818_5217_713152.jpg

And the other thing I do with my kitchen cookbook:

gallery_51818_5217_68600.jpg

I paste recipes out of magazines that I want to try.... I then have them when I go shopping.

In the terms of M. Stewart, "It's a good thing" :biggrin:

Jamie Lee

Suzilightening:  Your list had me cracking up!  I especially like the notation -Workout (followed by a question mark!)

jamie - that question mark is actually weather dependent. friday is my day off from work as a reference librarian but, unless it is raining, i would be at the hawkwatch for 5-8 hours. if and ONLY if it rains would i get to the gym. it rained and i got my third workout in 1 1/2 months. i love the birds but can't wait until 1 december when i get my life back again - and a regular gym schedule.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Suzilightening:  Your list had me cracking up!  I especially like the notation -Workout (followed by a question mark!)

jamie - that question mark is actually weather dependent. friday is my day off from work as a reference librarian but, unless it is raining, i would be at the hawkwatch for 5-8 hours. if and ONLY if it rains would i get to the gym. it rained and i got my third workout in 1 1/2 months. i love the birds but can't wait until 1 december when i get my life back again - and a regular gym schedule.

You are more structured/disciplined than I! My list would have a Workout (followed by a ?) because it meant if I wanted or not! :laugh:

Jamie Lee

So. Prompted in part by this thread, I hauled out a notebook I'd been keeping for something special and started filling it with the recipes floating around variously as scraps of paper on my desk, bookmarks in my browser, emails to myself, etc etc. As much as the majority of my life is contained in my laptop these days ( :raz: ) I actually prefer writing with a pencil for this kind of thing...it allows me to put arrows back and forth to things and lay things out however I like. Plus I can doodle diagrams or go back and add notes with ease. Also I don't need to worry about getting flour in my keyboard :wink:

Isn't it pretty?

1720313184_c213b44322.jpg

Taking a cue from lab notebooks I've used and abused, I'm numbering my pages (only about 10 at a time though, as I need to). That allows me to do this:

1719466917_a19775d610.jpg

Note how most (almost all really) of them are baking, rather than cooking, recipes. I find it really hard to follow a recipe for non-baking stuff to the letter. The majority of the time I'm just working by feel, which is nice but it means that I never ever try all the recipes I've bookmarked in cookbooks, because I'm too busy just cooking whatever :rolleyes:

And here's a couple interior pages. Yes I can read that.

1719467959_4de1c685df.jpg

There's not much in the way of instructions for simple recipes, like the brownies on the left. The brackets show me how to combine the ingredients, and for basic recipes I'll just put the ingredient list and the baking time: how the ingredients are ordered tells me how to combine them: butter and sugar together at the start means to cream the butter and sugar, etc etc.

Kate

Very nice indeed. And no lines. I need lines, otherwise my notes tend to drift upwards.

I used to make marbelized papers similar to the cover, for a friend who did bookbinding as a hobby. I really liked the process but developed an allergy to the inks, in spite of wearing gloves and a mask.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Here are the shopping lists that begin to haunt me this time of the year:

Christmas Goodies

Christmas Eve

Christmas Morning

These are the bare bones lists for our Christmas food celebrations. We host a Christmas Eve dinner for friends/family every year (we have done this with only a few misses for 25 years). Most years now it involves 50 -/+ people. You can see why it haunts me just now! I love doing it, but it is daunting! Oh, well, I'll get to it just as soon as I finish frosting my Halloween cupcakes :laugh: !

Kim

This is such a fun thread! I have the most boring lists ever. This is a long list partly because I'm shopping for 5 and and partly because I haven't been to the store in forever and we're running out of everything (with 3 kids under 5, shopping is such a production that I put it off as long as I can). We went this morning to the supercenter and of course I forgot to write down the most important thing: Halloween Candy! I have to go back again tomorrow to get it.

gallery_42527_5326_19985.jpg

And this doesn't show the stuff that wasn't on the list that got tossed in the cart....poptarts, corn dogs, chicken nuggets, coloring books and chocolate milk.

Kim:

That does look daunting indeed!  (But oh, so delicious!)  Do you just skip Thanksgiving?

To all the rest!  I love each of your lists!  Thanks!

J

We pretty much just wait for someone to invite us and offer to bring flowers and make a pie :laugh: . So far no one has offered this year - Mr. Kim, the child and I might just be on our own.

Kim

Kim:

That does look daunting indeed!  (But oh, so delicious!)  Do you just skip Thanksgiving?

J

We pretty much just wait for someone to invite us and offer to bring flowers and make a pie :laugh: . So far no one has offered this year - Mr. Kim, the child and I might just be on our own.

Kim

Kim

Now you know that's not gonna happen! I am already working on our list...

Flowers

Mince meat for pies

Oysters for dressing

Turkey

Gravy mixings

Cranberries

(Twice baked potatoes to be made by Kim and wine from Mr Kim)

Gas up car on Tuesday for Wed drive.

Pack on Tues night for early start

gallery_6375_3224_572168.jpg

What? No Puff Pastry? No Shalimar??

I'd play, but my years of lists are in journal-type books---parties, for whom, menu, date, time, etc.

Next list in line is groceries, jotted dish-by-dish from menu page, then all items shrunk to ONE of each, since if I'm making chicken salad, I list chicken, eggs, celery, etc., then for devilled eggs I list eggs, mayo, etc. It's all transcribed into WORD for printing and taking to store. (For some strange reason, STENCIL font appeals to me---big so I don't need my glasses).

Then, dishes, platters, bowls, silver---with what goes on each.

Next list is of chores to do day-by-day Thurs., Fri., Sat---usually day of party.

Last list is of actual dishes I need to pick up---if it's a delivery only, I leave everything and pick up my dishes day after.

I love looking back at five or ten years ago, remembering the day we did Miss Caroline's luncheon on the porch at the bird sanctuary, or the Rehearsal Dinner at the boat dock, where we served on the patio, in the party room, and on several conveniently-moored-but-rocking boats of all sizes.

I'll sometimes be reminded of a dish I haven't made in a great while, and we'll have an incongruous plate of jalapeno rolls and salmon rosettes for dinner.

gallery_6375_3224_572168.jpg

What? No Puff Pastry? No Shalimar??

No Dear Rachel. I mostly make my puff pastry and I have my Shalimar

You can play with your journals -- please, please do!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

:biggrin:

No camera in the house at all, at all, let alone a digital camera that speaks intelligibly to eG. The current list-in-development:

Orange juice

3 packets yeast (NOT rapid rise)

Green veg to be determined/what looks best: green beans, spinach?

Tomatoes

Mushrooms

Basil

Raisins (green, seedless)

4 baking potatoes

2- 4 apples

More to be added. Probable marketing on Wednesday evening after work.

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Kim:

J

Kim

Kim

Now you know that's not gonna happen! I am already working on our list...

Flowers

Mince meat for pies

Oysters for dressing

Turkey

Gravy mixings

Cranberries

(Twice baked potatoes to be made by Kim and wine from Mr Kim)

Gas up car on Tuesday for Wed drive.

Pack on Tues night for early start

Yay! See my PM! I will definitely make the twice baked potatoes! :biggrin::biggrin:

New list:

Potatoes

Cheese

Cream cheese

butter

Fresh Chives

Vacuum Bedroom ( :raz::raz: )

Here's my current list, begun on Sunday.

gallery_17399_60_208870.jpg

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

And the other thing I do with my kitchen cookbook:

gallery_51818_5217_68600.jpg

I paste recipes out of magazines that I want to try....  I then have them when I go shopping.

I just got a good look at the page and noticed you are about to make the same recipe I copied out of Cooking Light. I'm going to make it Saturday for our dinner Sunday with a few modifications: venion instead of beef, fresh frozen cranberries and lingonberry jam instead of the cranberry sauce. How did yours come out, Jamie?

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites