• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shopping Lists/Kitchen Notebooks

Jamie Lee

I'm impressed by all the lists.  Mine are sort of "catch-as-catch-can" as I begin with a certain amount of orginization then find myself re-thinking sources (and how easy it is to get stuff into my van.

(Smart & Final always will load my van without me having to hang around waiting).

Here's my most recent one.

gallery_17399_60_467170.jpg

Ok whatcha baking Andie?....8lbs of butter and 25 lbs of sugar :smile:

The closest I have come to a list recently was just knowing that I needed Everything to make eggplant parm except sauce, so I kept running the procedure in my head...flour it, dip it, bread it, fry it, build it, top with cheese....So I needed

flour

eggs

bread crumbs

oil

foil pans

mozz

oh yeah and Eggplant

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

It's Holiday baking time. This is just the pastry flour.

Plus I am making a big batch of "instant" cookie mix for gifting. That way people who don't have time to do the shopping and measuring only have to add the liquids, drop onto a cookie sheet and bake.

I include the optional additives, choc. chips, toffee chips, pnut butter chips and/or nuts, fruits, candies, etc., all measured and separately packaged and ready to be combined with the refrigerated mix (which includes butter and/or shortening).

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

BekkiM you are an inspiration. I bow to your mad excelorganizational skills.

Ok, I scrounged around and came up with a few bits a pieces.

gallery_54928_5223_10756.jpg

On the top we have some sort of apple baking recipe...I think it might be the apple cake from Pille's foodblog but I'm not sure. Didn't end up making it though, my apples went into pies. Then there's a couple of notes from my bread baking experiments (although oddly not the latest one, I think that one's been thrown out). Note the temperature values--was having issues judging when things (in general) were done so I bought an instant read thermometer (which isn't all that instant...what the heck, really). Then in the lower right there is a list of stuff I wanted to cook this week, I got it all done except I was supposed to make squash ravioli tonight, but I stayed late at school to work on an assignment instead. I apologize for the chicken scratch that is my writing :raz: The last one is just a grocery list. I was bored so I drew little pictures of the different things beside the names. Reproduced below cause it's hard to read:

onion

garlic

eggs

milk

mushrooms

cheese ?

parmesan

olives

spinach (crossed out because I changed my mind about getting it)

yogurt

ham

wonton wrappers

Kate

I love (love!) the little pig next to "ham" on your shopping list! :wub: My lists may be madly organized, but they're not charmingly illustrated. That's awesome!

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

Ack! I have so many books, folders, lists and files on my desk, counters and computers devoted to recipes and ingerdients... it is my ambition to one day organize it all. And possibly actually try one or two of them ;)

Not a kitchen notebook per se but just a notebook I keep in my purse at all times and scribble in. Here is a foodcentric page from my moleskine:

gallery_15459_856_55864.jpg

My favorite writing materials for lists are paper napkins and post it notes.

N.

eta. I have been playing with the meals matter website in hopes of helping with menu planning, pantry inventory and all around organiztion. Thought this might be a good topic to mention it in. http://www.mealsmatter.com

Edited by natasha1270 (log)
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I use my palm pilot task list.

gallery_45424_4955_33540.jpg

The priority numbers correspond to sections of the store, so 1 = produce, 2 = meat, etc. I like the fact that when I check something off, it disappears. When I use a paper list, I inevitably miss things since the list gets more and more jumbled as stuff gets crossed off. This list here is a pretty typical list for this summer - short and specific, mostly just staples that I don't get from my CSA's meat/veg delivery.

Meal planning consists mostly of seeing what's in my weekly share, and matching it with what's already in my fridge pantry. I have a journal type book I use for loose planning based on that and my schedule, but it seems to have wandered off somewhere...

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

Is anyone in the market for one of these? :huh: Price seems pretty steep.

or the discounted one. which I think is the same model.

I suppose the attraction is being able to speak the item.

Note the comment about the inadequate magnet. I guess I would have to glue on one of my "super" magnets.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Andie:

You are truly the "Undisputed Queen of Gadgets"! :biggrin:

I was in IT for years, dealt with the highest tech medical/computer applications, lived through 6 "palm pilots" aka PDA's..

I LIKE my steno pads now.

Here's another secret for you all....

I read many books, magazines and newspapers, but my most favorite thing to read is.... grocery store receipts! :laugh: (My own, past and present.)

Even better is when I find someone else's receipt! I have found three at my Asian market, and study them with intensity... What do they do with these things I've not yet purchased or come to know? Why 4# of bacon belly? What is this, and that and that?????

Even the Safeway receipts intrigue me... Who are they feeding? Are these kids (I suppose) in his/her custody every day? When do they eat VEGETABLES??

Yes, I know, I have too much time on my hands... :laugh:

J.

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy

Anybody else use your cell phone to keep lists? I was shopping once and the person I was pretty much following through the store kept looking at his phone. At first I laughed but then it dawned on me this makes a lot of sense.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

Anybody else use your cell phone to keep lists? I was shopping once and the person I was pretty much following through the store kept looking at his phone. At first I laughed but then it dawned on me this makes a lot of sense.

Ha! I do, and it looks like this: Me standing in produce section, dialing husband at home to ask him to check if we have any ginger left. Then me standing in baking section, dialing husband at home to ask him to check how much sugar's left. Then me standing in dairy section, dialing husband at home to ask him to check how many eggs are left. Needless to say, I am never to be found in the grocery consulting an Excel spreadsheet or Palm Pilot for my grocery list! Only in the direst circumstance will I scratch out a written list. My theory is that memory is a muscle, and if I don't want mine to atrophy, I must exercise it by trying to remember what I need from the market. Of course this is complete crap, that's why I'm always burning up all my cell minutes in the grocery aisle. :rolleyes:

Is anyone in the market for one of these? :huh:  Price seems pretty steep.

or the discounted one.  which I think is the same model.

I suppose the attraction is being able to speak the item.

Note the comment about the inadequate magnet.  I guess I would have to glue on one of my "super" magnets.

Andie,

That is such a neat gadget and one I will surely buy as soon as I win the lottery! :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

When I make a list, it's in TextEdit on my computer, and then I print it out and take it with me. Or I print out the recipe and take that. I'd never remember all the stuff I have to get today, so this is the big list:

For: frittata, chicken pot pie, sweet potato cake, caramel cream cheese frosting

chicken broth: 3 cans, 14.5 oz each, 43.5 oz total

Dried morels: 24 individual, 2.5 oz, 70 grams

chicken thighs: 3.5 lbs

ham: 4 oz

Riesling wine

milk

heavy cream

Cream cheese: 1 lb

Grueyre cheese: 3 oz

unsalted butter

eggs

onion, 1 med

lemon

parsley

thyme

asparagus: .5 lb

Sweet potatoes: 3

shallot

flour

Sugar

Powdered sugar: 6 c

Golden raisins: 3/4 c

---

Bread, cheese for snacking

When and if a camera ever enters my life, I shall post some pages from my restaurant diaries. My restaurant, Cherotree, was open only for Fri & Sat dinners, private parties and outside catering, and the menu changed almost every weekend. My notebook consisted of the menus--a copy of the handwritten one provided for each diner--stapled to the left side and comments on the right. The comments covered how many were served, the amounts cooked and eaten, sometimes little anecdotes or recipe sources of comments on how well the menus went together.

I throw away old lists, but have one ready for shopping Sunday or Monday so here it is:

lettuce

McInt. apples

cereal

V-8

pot roast

t.p.

bread

eggs

yogurt

milk

H & H

b. aspirin

nail glue

band aids

Written alongside the edge are facts about cashing in 401K account, but those got transferred to another sheet of paper!

I'm sure I'll come home with more produce and perhaps meat, as I look for what is appealing. I'd do better to stick to a list, as too much food is spoiled by buying too much that looks good.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

My shopping lists are two-parters. Part One is a semi-permanent week-to-week list on the fridge door:

gallery_20347_2076_62027.jpg

On this list I write down things I run out of that I know I don't always check for when I do my run of the kitchen prior to grocery shopping on Saturday. Often these are pantry and under-the-sink staples that I buy lots of on sale, so I have to remind myself to add these to the Part Two list when I go shopping. I cross items off and add them to this list as needed.

Then there's the Part Two list, the one I use for shopping. Every reporter carries a notebook (don't they?), and I'm no exception -- this isn't a reporter's notebook, though; it's a pocket notebook on which go random things and all my shopping lists, like this one:

gallery_20347_2076_49769.jpg

If an item is in parentheses on the list, that means that it's something I should get if I have enough in the budget, but it's not something that I have to get this trip.

Here's one from after a trip is done. As you can see, I don't necessarily get everything on the list -- and invariably, some off-list items find their way into my shopping cart, most often cheese.

gallery_20347_2076_39611.jpg

I don't usually plan meals in advance of heading to the store, so there's no listing of specific ingredients and quantities. Should I end up making a meal for which I don't have all the ingredients, I usually pick up what I need on the way home from work.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Sandy, you're lists are precious! Thanks for posting!

Between cat liitter, "moist cat food" and "dry cat food", your cat (s) is well cared for!

What, however, is "gravy master"? :biggrin:

Edited by Jamie Lee (log)

Jamie Lee

I found an old, old list from several years ago - can't even figure out what some of the things are. And, who the hell is Gerry and why am I getting 6 stks. for him or her.

It's my writing/printing but other than a few things, I can't imagine what I was preparing.

gallery_17399_60_149393.jpg

After further examination I have figured out (I think) that Bf Cks refers to beef cheeks as I recall trying that braising recipe.

Sandy, you're lists are precious! Thanks for posting!

Between cat liitter, "moist cat food" and "dry cat food", your cat (s) is well cared for!

What, however, is "gravy master"?  :biggrin:

"Gravy Master" is a rival to "Kitchen Bouquet." It's a caramel coloring and flavoring used most often in making brown gravies. I find that I prefer brown gravy to ketchup as a topping for meatloaf, but the pan drippings from the ground beef and Italian sausage produce a gravy that's not quite strong enough and dark enough for my taste. Add a little of this and it's just right.

Two cats, one male (KK), one female (Miss Curiosity). You met them in my first foodblog. They can't stand Iams dry but love Purina One. Miss C functions as my natural alarm clock, clamoring for breakfast 30 minutes before I want to get up in the morning. I rise at 6 a.m., hence the mild annoyance.

I also think that Miss C harbors a secret urge to go grocery shopping with me. She always hops up on the bed beside me when I clip my coupons.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Thanks to everyone who has posted! You are all incredible..

I'd love to see "out of the USA" lists: Torakris, Chufi, helenjp, Abra, Peter the Eater... (not inclusive!)

Regulars like: Marlene (you promised! :laugh: ), Kim Shook, annecros, David Ross, Shelby, Percyn, C. Sapidus... (I hang out in "Whats for Dinner" quite a bit!).. also not inclusive!

And all past foodbloggers!

There are so many more!!! EVERYONE is welcome!

Please post!

Jamie Lee

Regulars like: Marlene (you promised!  :laugh: ), Kim Shook, annecros,

Sorry Jamie Lee - I am among the listless. :biggrin:

If anything, I plan meals while I am shopping - what looks good, is on sale, etc. Usually I do end up forgetting one thing every trip.

Andie:

That is some list!

:biggrin:

I have puzzled over the list for the past few days and have finally figured out that I had listed the following (omitting the crossed out stuff)

2 # large carrots

2 # parsnips

3 or 4 bunches celery (depending on size)

10# white onions

10 # yellow onions

10# ginger

5 # paste tomatoes

12 navel oranges, large

10 green apples

10 Jonathan apples

2 grapefruit

4 large sweet potatoes

6 baking potatoes (also large)

Yukon potatoes (amount depends on size)

New potatoes (ditto)

gallon tin of sorghum molasses

4 chickens

2 # beef cheeks

7 # chuck roast (to be ground at home)

2-3 # calves liver

1 1/2 # chicken livers

2 whole pork loins

6 steaks - New York strip for Gerry Wilde's recipe for Steak Diablo

5 pound slab of bacon

2 pounds pancetta

Pick up turkey on Thursday (a free-range bronze turkey special ordered).

That is 99.9% of the note.

I have yet to decipher the last note.

I was making oven-roasted vegetables, thus the carrots, parsnips, celery, onions, etc.

preparing carmelized onions

ditto candied ginger, candied orange and grapefruit peel.

applesauce to go with the pork loin

was probably making a paté, thus the livers. pancetta

was probably making chicken stock - thus the chickens, which were probably stewing hens.

At one time - 50 years ago - I knew Gregg shorthand and used to write my notes and shopping lists that way. Now I doubt I could recall more than two or three symbols - it looks like Greek to me! :laugh:

A few months ago I found a note in an old book, written in shorthand, and I had absolutely no idea what it was about or when I had made it. If I found a shopping list, if one could be identified as such, I wouldn't even try.

I would love to see more pages from those of you who keep kitchen notebooks! So, here are a couple of pages from mine which ought to reassure you that anything goes. :biggrin: Screw up your courage and share your scribbles, please. :smile:

gallery_6903_111_2578.jpg

gallery_6903_111_23311.jpg

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Here's the latest grocery list, still a work in progress, to be executed tomorrow:

gallery_15557_1141_8768.jpg

Things I've added since this picture was taken:

SF hard candy

cat fud (yes, spelled that way, extra points if you know where that's from)

antihistamines

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog