• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knives of Iron Chef

Matt_T

I was watching Iron Chef last night (Batali v. Consentino, might have been a rerun but I hadn't seen it) and was wondering about Batali's knife. I couldn't see the handle but it looked like German pattern, all-carbon blade. I've seen other interesting knives on the show; one of Batali's sous-shefs was using what looked like a Glestain slicer for almost everything and Cat Cora's usual steel looks like a 300mm, ebony handled Mizuno gyuto.

I'm not going to run out and buy whatever they use on TV, just curious if anyone else has noticed interesting blade choices on the show. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a fansite that gets into these kind of equipment details, if anyone knows of such please post a link.

MT

---------------

Matt T

UGLY  lol

Goes perfect with the clogs don't you think?

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.