• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Latte 101

hosinmigs

I'm starting to branch out a bit and get in to lattes and other non-press coffees. I've found that I enjoy lattes, but when I make them at home, I don't make a true latte. I've been using a Bialetti stove top for the coffee, and then heating an equal part milk in the nuker, frothing it with a cheap handheld device, and then pouring in the coffee.

So, two questions at this point:

1. If I order out, what do I order that is equal parts milk and coffee? Lattes are 3:1 milk to coffee, correct?

2. How can I get a better froth without spending a ton of money?

Thanks!

“There is no sincerer love than the love of food.”

I'm starting to branch out a bit and get in to lattes and other non-press coffees. I've found that I enjoy lattes, but when I make them at home, I don't make a true latte. I've been using a Bialetti stove top for the coffee, and then heating an equal part milk in the nuker, frothing it with a cheap handheld device, and then pouring in the coffee.

So, two questions at this point:

1. If I order out, what do I order that is equal parts milk and coffee? Lattes are 3:1 milk to coffee, correct?

2. How can I get a better froth without spending a ton of money?

Thanks!

I'm not a coffee expert, but I believe a cafe au lait is equal parts coffee and milk (but keep in mind this is coffee, not espresso). I use an immersion blender to make my own frothy milk and it works pretty well.

Jende is correct, that's a Cafe au Lait- coffee with milk. Delicious, but not a latte...which should be espresso with steamed, dense foam optional, milk. (ratio varies depending on your location).

There are some reliable frothers on the market, but if you already have a press, try putting your heated milk in it and 'pumping' the screen through it quickly to areate it cheaply

• 2 years later...

Is this a latte?

Espresso, steamed milk and cream - shaved dark chocolete and hazelnut whipped cream.

Your opinion please.

Cafe ole 001.JPG

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Looks like a caffe latte to me, Jmahl. Looks delicious too. :wub:

Wikipedia has expanded their entry regarding this subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latte

And have also corrected a few errors that were in earlier contributions from people who apparently did not know as much as they thought they did. :laugh:

I love the milky drinks in all their various combinations, no matter which title they have.

My favored drink at home is hot, foamed milk with a cup of coffee brewed from my Senseo. I do have one of the super automatic espresso machines but am too lazy to use it on a regular basis (and it IS a bit intimidating). Well, it's not the using that is the hangup, it is the cleaning after. I haul it out for parties because I do have friends that are espresso fanatics but they do all the cleanup afterward.

(I learned early on that it develops odd odors if not cleaned completely before being unused for a month or so.) :hmmm::huh:

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Looks like a caffe latte to me, Jmahl. Looks delicious too. :wub:

Wikipedia has expanded their entry regarding this subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latte

And have also corrected a few errors that were in earlier contributions from people who apparently did not know as much as they thought they did. :laugh:

I love the milky drinks in all their various combinations, no matter which title they have.

My favored drink at home is hot, foamed milk with a cup of coffee brewed from my Senseo. I do have one of the super automatic espresso machines but am too lazy to use it on a regular basis (and it IS a bit intimidating). Well, it's not the using that is the hangup, it is the cleaning after. I haul it out for parties because I do have friends that are espresso fanatics but they do all the cleanup afterward.

(I learned early on that it develops odd odors if not cleaned completely before being unused for a month or so.) :hmmm::huh:

Dear andiesenji:

From you this is a great compiment. I have read your posts over the years and again from you, this is a great compiment.

Thank you,

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.