• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
Catherine Iino

Honeycrisp apples

You are welcome. However, I doubt that home refrigerators are the ideal storage enviroment for apples. These comments would apply to commercial apple storage. I wouldn't assume six months.

Six months? Wow! This is good news. Thank you for the info, barolo.

For those commenting on the variable quality of Honeycrisp:

Immature ‘Honeycrisp’ may never mature and thus remain of poor eating quality. Fruit Fruit harvested too early do not develop varietal flavor and are almost tasteless. If harvested too late, ‘Honeycrisp’ can develop fermentation products, such as ethanol and acetaldehyde, which cause undesirable flavors. The onset of such off-flavors is difficult to predict, as there are no associated visual symptoms.

Read more here:

Post Harvest Quality and Handling of 'Honeycrisp' Apples

Cheers,

Anne

My kids love Honeycrisps. They even ask to have them in their lunchbox (that right there is enough for me to buy them). My husband went to the store last and purchased Gala, they were a lot cheaper and he figured they would not know the difference. He was wrong. I didn't even know what he bought until my daughter came up to me and said that the apples did not taste like anything; how come? I checked the tag and realized he picked up the wrong kind. Now the kids will not eat them (I'll make apple crisp or bake them). It's worth the extra $$ to me if they reach for an apple instead of junk for a snack.

I myself like HoneyCrisps but my favorite apple is Granny Smith.

I buy my winter's supply of apples every fall (October) from the same orchard and, this year, tried Honeycrisp for the first time. I really like them, and they are crisp. It could well be that Honeycrisps, and other apples, will vary in quality for a couple of reasons.

The first would be the individual orchard itself, with soil quality and climate being important. The second is that apples directly from the orchard will always be better than those that have "traveled". Apples need to be kept cold. The closer to 32F, the better. If apples have spent weeks, or more, in trucks, warehouses, and markets without refrigeration, they won't be so good.

So, I bought some Honeycrisps to see how well they'll keep, as well as Macouns - which keep fairly well. But, my favorite apple (many of you can turn up your noses) are Cortlands. The Cortlands from this orchard are, to my mind, the best all around apple, and keep very well. They're still hard into March, and keep into May - though they're getting soft then, they're still good to eat. And, from this orchard, they're the biggest Cortlands, with the nicest color and flavor I know of.

Take a drive and check out your local orchards.

PS. I paid $1.10/pound for the Honeycrisps.

Edited by Country (log)

Sign in to follow this