• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Football Helmet Chocolate Mold

Truffle Guy

I've got a request to make a football helmet chocolate and would like to use a football helmet mold with a transfer sheet for the decal. Anyone ever do something similar or have suggestions where I could find such a mold? I'd prefer a polycarbonate mold as I may have to make quite a few. Thanks!

I've got a request to make a football helmet chocolate and would like to use a football helmet mold with a transfer sheet for the decal.  Anyone ever do something similar or  have suggestions where I could find such a mold?  I'd prefer a polycarbonate mold as I may have to make quite a few.  Thanks!

I don't know if polycarbonate is going to happen because they are made in europe and they don't wear a similar helmet (same reason you don't get much polycarbonate halloween molds). But Altype Molds in Hamilton (previously in Grimsby) makes the thermoform molds and there is a place in Buffalo (not Tomric) that does the same. Tomric would be worth a call for sure. I'm not at home so I can't look in my Altype catalogue for you. I'd call Tomric first and ask.

How soon do you need them?

Kerry,

Thanks. I don't need them right away and I need to be able to also add the logo on the helmet. I'm thinking of doing this with a transfer sheet. I couldn't find any info on Altype on the internet, is there an online catalog? Thanks again. Bill

I've got a request to make a football helmet chocolate and would like to use a football helmet mold with a transfer sheet for the decal.  Anyone ever do something similar or  have suggestions where I could find such a mold?  I'd prefer a polycarbonate mold as I may have to make quite a few.  Thanks!

I don't know if polycarbonate is going to happen because they are made in europe and they don't wear a similar helmet (same reason you don't get much polycarbonate halloween molds). But Altype Molds in Hamilton (previously in Grimsby) makes the thermoform molds and there is a place in Buffalo (not Tomric) that does the same. Tomric would be worth a call for sure. I'm not at home so I can't look in my Altype catalogue for you. I'd call Tomric first and ask.

How soon do you need them?

No on-line catalogue for Altype yet. PM me at the end of the week when I'm back home and I'll look through the catalogue I have. I'll also talk to the person who told me ablout the place in Buffalo that can do custom work for a somewhat decent price.

The transfer is going to be a challenge too, given that it will have to bend, unless the mold has a flat spot, not quite sure how this can be accomplished.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Assuming the mould is a reasonable size (ie., big enough to take the transfer) you could always mould your chocolate helmet as normal and then remove from mould when set.

Then pipe a bit of chocolate onto the spot where you want your logo and stick the transfer sheet on. Sounds like a long process though because you'd prob have to leave the helmet on its side for a while to let the transfer adhere and then turn it over and do the other side as well.

Altype molds has two molds with football themes. One has a boychild football player with helmet. This is a double mold 7 inches high. The other is a single mold with 3 items, one is a face with helmet, the other two football players, and the third a football.

They can be reached at (905) 296 5333, toll free 1-877-218-6653 and e-mail altypemolds@quickclic.net

Tomric has a sucker mold with a boyish face in a helmet - page 10 of catalogue, a little football player with helmet on page 84 sized 4 3/8 or 7 1/2 inches. page 131 has an 18 cavity boy football player 4 1/4 inches.

Still trying to get info on custom made for you.