• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee in Bethesda

gingerpeach

• 3 weeks later...
Yikes, maybe this doesn't bode well...

I did sample some coffee from Quartermaine Coffee today at the Taste of Bethesda.  Any opinions on this place?

I'm not a coffee drinker but i think carribou coffee has free wifi. It's on old georgetown rd about a 10 min walk from NIH campus.

There's a good coffee place down on Bethesda Ave, down from the B&N about three or four stores. I am not sure if they have wireless but they do have good coffee and teas. Quartermaine's.

There is also a Mayorga, which may be within walking distance of NIH for you, on Wisoconsin & Maple. I'm not as keen on their coffee as Quartermaine's but it's in the right area (ish) and has wifi.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

There's a good coffee place down on Bethesda Ave, down from the B&N about three or four stores. I am not sure if they have wireless but they do have good coffee and teas. Quartermaine's.

There is also a Mayorga, which may be within walking distance of NIH for you, on Wisoconsin & Maple. I'm not as keen on their coffee as Quartermaine's but it's in the right area (ish) and has wifi.

I believe Mayorga is gone. Quartermaine's does have free wifi though. B&N area is a bit of a hike from NIH. About a 15 min walk.

Mayorga's Bethesda location has been closed forever. It seems as though they were open for only a few days. A real shame. They have great coffee and pastries (in Silver Spring). I've never had a cup at Quartermaine that wasn't burnt to the point of undrinkable. Caribou has been reliable for reasonably good coffee.

There's a place called Kudo Beans in the Chevy Chase Bank Building. Haven't tried it.

If you are on the main campus, nothing in downtown Bethesda is all that close. If you are in one of the off-campus buildings in Bethesda, the options are limited.

I am sorry I gave you bad info. :sad:

If you are on the main campus, how far is it to the Balducci's? You could probably get good coffee (not to mention a lot of other good stuff) in there. No wifi though. Hmm never mind.

:blink: I do believe I'll shut up now.

:laugh:

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Quartermaine's isn't too far, will travel for good coffee! I've also discovered that Cornucopia, a tiny store on Norfolk Ave. that stocks Italian gourmet foods, also serves decent espresso. Keep the suggestions coming if you think of any more!