• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese food versus McDonald's

hzrt8w

I think it all boils down to 60+ years of marketing savy vs. defenseless (in terms of how they filter promotional messages) children.

I live with my girlfriend (who is native to Guangxi) in China. She grew up at a time where there were no KFCs or McD's and thus never received those early, perception-building marketing messages. She tried McD's sometime during college, and while she didn't and still doesn't hate it, she also really doesn't see why its so popular worldwide. She also never suggests it as a meal option (though she does get a hankerin' for their taro pies from time to time), but does like other "western" types of food.

Our friend's son, however, is 9 years old, and has grown up in a China full of KFCs & McD's. He and other kids of his generation (and class) have more or less the same appreciation for the golden arches as kids do in America. Combine that with the population and "little emperor" syndrome, and you've got every reason they need to pump big money into the Chinese market.

If any of you have the chance to go to China, check out a McD's in a major city (there will probably be 2-4 locations all within 500 meters of each other - no joke). I noticed that the interior and overall environment are much more geared for age groups ranging from 5-12, 13-17 & 18-25. Anything over that, and there's no early perceptual foundation (happy meals, jungle gyms), so why waste money on a demographic that won't drive value long-term (ie. the children's children)?

Furthermore, the last time I traveled around the country (Xi'an, Chengdu, Chongqing, Kunming and Nanning in the summer of 2005) I noticed that at every McD's location in every one of these cities, there was, almost nightly, and not coincidentally, huge groups of teens hanging out in front of every McDonalds skateboarding, break dancing, free-style biking, etc. When I asked a kid in Kunming why he was there, he told me that they (the McD's folks) gave he and his friends free stuff whenever they came and performed.

Depending on your inclinations, its either evil or genius. Either way, I'd like to see a better ambassador of American cuisine introducing our eats to Chinese people. Considering the vastness of Chinese cuisine, its kind of embarrassing to have our most infamous junk food peddler over here representing us.

Now Popeye's on the other hand...

hzrt8w

The first mistake is to ask young kids where they want to go. Giving them the choice is not what you want to do. They'll pick the place that's been advertised and has the clown.

Pose the question as "I'm going for Dim Sum....Want to go?"

Ceertainly worked for my kids.

Now as adults they won't stop at a McD except to get a drink or go to the bathroom.

Exactly what Parker23se (looks as if there's someone with a code-like username as you, hzwrt8) said. Don't give them a choice.

I don't have this fastfood problem with my girls, though. Although they are still in that fastfood craze age, we hardly venture into one...oh, maybe once a month. Why? Because there are so many actually delicious alternatives, and, their tastebuds recognize that. And, their mom talk about what's healthful and what's not too often for something not to sink in.

When we were young, we were too poor (thank God!) to indulge in fastfood. A visit to KFC was a once a year affair, mainly for the novelty of using knife and fork to cut meat. Going to A & W meant soft-serve ice-cream...only. Precious memories.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

My non-Chinese 5-year-old will choose Chinese food over McD's every time ...

Same here! When my daughter (non-Asian) was 3, she flagged the waitress and called out "more har gow!" in a dim sum restaurant! :laugh::laugh:

Now at age 11, her favorite place to dine is a Laotian/Thai restaurant.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs