• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
gfron1

Latin American / South American Cookbooks

gfron1   

Beyond Mexican cookbooks, what are your favorite Latin American / South American cookbooks? Are there good ones for Brazilian, Peruvian, Argentinian, etc.? Thanks.

ryanj   

The Art of Peruvian Cuisine and Peru Mucho Gusto are two both very nice cookbooks. The second one is in the style of the el bulli book, w/o the cd rom. It is a collaboration from a variety of Peru's chefs. The Art is also a collaboration work so to speak and a little more approachable. Those are two of my Peruvian favorites. There is a colorful Brazilian cookbook I had that I forget the name of, but it is readily available in bookstores. I haven't seen that many Argentinian books, except for ones that have been brought back from that country, which are also only in Spanish. Douglas Rodriguez has a few books out that also aren't that bad. They are a little more fusion and focus on the islands more however.

gfron1   

Thanks Ryan. That's a sparse list...is that really all there is? Do cookbook writers feel there's not enough distinction in this genre to make it worth a book of its own?

Marigene   

I have The South American Table (Maria Baez Kijac) and find it to be as good as any other I have perused.

heyjude   

Felipe Rojas-Lombardi's THe Art of South American Cooking is a terrific book from 1991. There are several copies available on Bookfinder.com.

One of my prized objects is Tropical Cooking in Panama: A Handbook of Tropical Foods and How To Use Them by one Gladys R. Graham, a cookbook given to me by two thesis students from Panama who convinced me that this was the real deal. Need to cook a parrot or armadillo? Give me a call.

A more frequently used book in our house is Brazilian Cookery: Traditional and Modern by Margarette de Andrade. It's encyclopedic and a great read, with lots of interesting information about Afro-Brazilian cuisine, holiday cooking, and the importance of the coconut. I got it at a yard sale from a chef cleaning out the attic and have never seen it anywhere else. I've seen it called the standard in a few places.

I just got back from Peru and picked up Peru Mucho Gusto. The first part of the book explains the history of Peruvian cuisine followed by some recipes for the basic dishes found throughout Peru and the last section includes innovative recipes from some of the top chefs from Peru. The book is quite heavy similar in size to Alain Ducasse's Spoon cookbook housed in a box along with a thin supplement which is the recipes in english. Throughout the book there is a fair amount of english translation but for some odd reason the english recipes are included the thin supplement and not in the main book. I picked it up for around $90US in Lima and highly reccomend it.

The Art of Peruvian Cuisine and Peru Mucho Gusto are two both very nice cookbooks. The second one is in the style of the el bulli book, w/o the cd rom. It is a collaboration from a variety of Peru's chefs. The Art is also a collaboration work so to speak and a little more approachable. Those are two of my Peruvian favorites. There is a colorful Brazilian cookbook I had that I forget the name of, but it is readily available in bookstores. I haven't seen that many Argentinian books, except for ones that have been brought back from that country, which are also only in Spanish. Douglas Rodriguez has a few books out that also aren't that bad. They are a little more fusion and focus on the islands more however.

gfron1   

Thanks for all the replies - now I'll start looking through them at the library.

DerekW   

Elisabeth Lambert Ortiz's "The book of Latin American Cooking" has been a good resource for me. It's still in print, too, suggesting I'm not alone :smile:

Covering an entire continent's cuisine in one paperback is a tall order, but the book packs in a lot of things which have become standards in what I laughingly call my 'repertoire' - from ceviche through Matambre and on. Lots of interesting background too e.g. Making your own freeze-dried potatoes by leaving them out overnight in the mountains, anyone? Chuño

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Chris Hennes
      I just got a copy of Grace Young's "Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge"—I enjoyed cooking from "Breath of a Wok" and wanted to continue on that path. Does anyone else have this book? Have you cooked anything from it?

Here was dinner tonight:

Spicy Dry-Fried Beef (p. 70)

I undercooked the beef just a bit due to a waning propane supply (I use an outdoor propane-powered wok burner), but there's nothing to complain about here. It's a relatively mild dish that lets the flavors of the ingredients (and the wok) speak. Overall I liked it, at will probably make it again (hopefully with a full tank of gas).

• By CanadianSportsman
      Greetings,

I've cooked several recipes from Keller's "Bouchon" the last couple of weeks, and have loved them all! At the moment (as in right this minute) I'm making the boeuf Bourguignon, and am a little confused about the red wine reduction. After reducing the wine, herbs, and veg for nearly an hour now, I'm nowhere near the consistancy of a glaze that Keller specifies. In fact, it looks mostly like the veg is on the receiving end of most of it. Is this how the recipe is meant to be? Can anybody tell me what kind of yield is expected? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, kindly. 
    • By Paul Fink
      This unfortunately titled book changed my life. I always enjoyed cooking and idealized Julia Child &
      Jacque Pepin. But I was a typical home cook. I would see a recipe and try to duplicate it little understanding about what I was doing.

Cooking the Nouvelle Cuisine in America talked about a philosophy of cooking. It showed me that there is more depth to cooking. A history. A philosophy.
      The recipes are very approachable and you can make them on a budget from grocery store ingredients. I read it as a grad student in Oregon, in the late 80's I had access to lots of fresh ingredients. And some very nice wines, cheap! I was suppose to be studying physics but I end up learning more about wine & cooking.
    • By Smokeydoke
      Here is the discussion thread.
      Here is the Amazon link.
      My first recipe was Mushroom Mapo Tofu p. 132  I was blown away by how good this tasted. Very spicy! Very authentic. I didn't miss the meat at all. I told Mr. Smokey I'd add ground pork next time and he said it didn't need it. Mr. Smokey refused pork? Ha!
      Definitely a keeper and maybe a regular rotation spot.
      If I had anything negative to say, it would be the dish wasn't very filling. The recipe is suppose to serve four but the two of us finished it off, no problem, and Mister wasn't full afterwards. A soup, or an appetizer could be paired with the dish to make a heartier meal.
      Note: I did receive a complimentary copy of the book to review, but all opinions of the book and recipes are mine.

• By JoNorvelleWalker
      Started in on Rob's book tonight.  Nice pictures, interesting philosophy.  The bit about grapevines reminded me ever so much about my balcony.  My grapevine has been growing ten or twenty years, planted by the birds.  Never a grape, ever.  Only recently did I learn that unlike European grapes, the native grapevines are sexual.  This one is undoubtedly a boy.  He provides lovely leaves and shade, and something for the tomatoes to hang onto.