• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Suvir Saran

Panna Cotta: Recipes & Techniques

Christ, I wish the use of cups wasn't so prevalent in the US; it really confuses us Britishers. :)

It'll depend on the Bloom rating of the gelatine you use and the liquidity of your ingredients, but barring factors like acid coagulation of proteins and the aforementioned emzymatic activity of certain fresh juices, I find that the following usually works :

750ml (about three cups) whipping cream (in the UK, about 40% butterfat)

250ml other liquids

150g sugar

2.5-3 sheets soaked gelatine.

Points of variation :

1) Acids will help firm up your mixture.

2) Higher fat content (either a heavier cream or using more whipping cream in proportion to everything else) will firm it up.

3) Gelatine generally takes up to 12 hours to set properly, and from then on will stiffen gradually. Restaurant pannacottas that could double as squash balls are usually the result of too much gelatine in the first place, or a pannacotta that's been lying around for a few days.

If you use sheet gelatine - and most professionals do, certainly over here - then you need to soak only enough to swell the sheets. Squeeze thoroughly to expel excess water before adding to your warm mix. Oversoaking or a lack of squeezing can considerably increase the amount of water in your mix and upset the gelatine balance.

Good luck on the next run!

I read that the rule is 1/4 ounce of gelatin to set 16oz of liquid.

Did you bloom and dissolve the gelatin?

How to bloom and dissolve gelatin.

Yes, I did bloom and dissolve the gelatin. I think the problem is 1 tsp gelatin to 3 1/3 + cups of liquid. I have just read the gelatin pack :shock: and it says that one envelope (approx 1 TBS or 15 ml) will set 2 cups of liquid. So I am thinking that the recipe should have called for 1 TBS rather than 1 tsp.

I think that 1 tsp is too little. I agree that it may have been a typo and may have intended to read 1 Tbs. However, I think 3 tsp is too much for the volume; I would suggest 2 tsp for 3.25 C, especially because 2 C of the "liquid" was stiff (full fat?) sour cream. However, blueberries tend to require more thickener than other berries, so maye 1 Tbs was right.

Anna N   
I read that the rule is 1/4 ounce of gelatin to set 16oz of liquid.

Did you bloom and dissolve the gelatin?

How to bloom and dissolve gelatin.

Yes, I did bloom and dissolve the gelatin. I think the problem is 1 tsp gelatin to 3 1/3 + cups of liquid. I have just read the gelatin pack :shock: and it says that one envelope (approx 1 TBS or 15 ml) will set 2 cups of liquid. So I am thinking that the recipe should have called for 1 TBS rather than 1 tsp.

I think that 1 tsp is too little. I agree that it may have been a typo and may have intended to read 1 Tbs. However, I think 3 tsp is too much for the volume; I would suggest 2 tsp for 3.25 C, especially because 2 C of the "liquid" was stiff (full fat?) sour cream. However, blueberries tend to require more thickener than other berries, so maye 1 Tbs was right.

The blackberries should not be factored in as they are served on the side. I will try it again in a week or so with more gelatine and report on the result. Thanks for your interest.

chefmoni   

I'd like to attmept an anise flavored panna cotta and have a few questions.

1. what are some of your basic recipes for a panna cotta?

2. how much star anise would you infuse with the cream?

3. would you add vanilla or just plain anise to the base?

thanks!

filipe   

Jamie Oliver has some easy-to-make-and-surelly-succeeded pana cotta recipes. You can find them at (at least) two of his books : Jamie Oliver's ITALY and The Naked Chef

Sethro   

Here's mine:

300g milk

2 pieces star anise

60g sugar

2+1/3 sheets leaf gelatin

150g cream

Bring the milk, sugar and anise to a simmer, remove from heat and whisk in the bloomed gelatin. Whisk in the cold cream and chill over on ice bath. Strain and mold.

It's pretty mild on both the anise and sugar, so you may need to adjust it if you want it stronger or sweeter. That's the smallest incantation of the recipe, too, for testing purposes.

chefmoni   

thank you thank you!! can't wait to attempt...i bought some rhubarb today because i'm making rhubarb sauce and some poached rhubarb to go wiht the panna cotta

Sethro   

Well ya can't go wrong with licorice and rhubarb! Let us know how it turns out.

tan319   
Here's mine:

300g milk

2 pieces star anise

60g sugar

2+1/3 sheets leaf gelatin

150g cream

Bring the milk, sugar and anise to a simmer, remove from heat and whisk in the bloomed gelatin. Whisk in the cold cream and chill over on ice bath. Strain and mold.

It's pretty mild on both the anise and sugar, so you may need to adjust it if you want it stronger or sweeter. That's the smallest incantation of the recipe, too, for testing purposes.

I like this concept a lot!

hmm..

I just made some vanilla star anise ice cream for my pear clafouti..maybe I'll try pairing it with a rhubarb galette.

gfron1   

I've done the same thing with marshmallows where I split the side of tubing and then taped it. I've re-used it many times. I'm not sure that is how they did it however. They could have simply used a tall can with the top and bottom removed and lined it with saran wrap. Or, it almost looks like a toliet paper roll - same thing, lined with saran.

acetate and whatever sized tube you're using.

if you're using metal tubing, you can seal one end with plastic wrap (heat shrink it in the oven for a few seconds and it will stick and be smooth). line the interior with an acetate strip. fill with panna cotta base. chill. unmold.

TonyC.   
acetate and whatever sized tube you're using.

if you're using metal tubing, you can seal one end with plastic wrap (heat shrink it in the oven for a few seconds and it will stick and be smooth).  line the interior with an acetate strip. fill with panna cotta base.  chill.  unmold.

ACETATE!!! Thanks for the help!

TJHarris   

I've done this with pvc pipe and a plastic wrap to seal the open end. You can dispence with the acetate by very lightly coating the interior of the tube with food release spray.

if you use metal tubes, you can avoid the acetate as well and just warm the outside briefly with a torch to unmold. don't even need spray. i think the only reason i considered acetate is that the panna cotta is flexible (don't want to use too much gelatin :blink: ) and this would aid in getting it to the right place on the plate without having to handle it too much or without it falling apart.

I've done this with pvc pipe and a plastic wrap to seal the open end.  You can dispence with the acetate by very lightly coating the interior of the tube with food release spray.

Slightly off topic but elated to this posting... I make my own ring molds for plating out of PVC pipe. This is because its ton cheaper than 'professional' molds and PVC is what most new houses use for water plumbing so it has got to be safe. Am I correct in my assumption or have I been poisoning my dinner guests?

They probably used one of these tube molds.

I've used them for molding rice and ice cream. I bought them at a local craft store that supplies hobby soap makers.

Slightly off topic but elated to this posting... I make my own ring molds for plating out of PVC pipe.  This is because its  ton cheaper than 'professional' molds and PVC is what most new houses use for water plumbing so it has got to be safe.  Am I correct in my assumption or have I been poisoning my dinner guests?

PVC pipe is generally used for waste discharge, not for water supply. Most contemporary supply lines are copper or polyethylene.

twodogs   

we actually use pvc which we cut into three inch lengths and then use the plastic wrap and a rubber band to seal the bottom.

in fact at the store, you can cut a 12 foot pipe into the lengths you want, utilizing the in store saw.

actually we have spent a good amount of time at home depot recently sourcing building supplies for their culinary uses.

adey73   

thanks as always for sharing.

I receive your website updates daily, and they really are the most welcome item in my inbox.

Not all PVC pipe is food grade, although it is supposed to be produced from "food grade" materials.

Some PVC pipe, imported from China contains materials one does not want around food.

One producer manufactures PVC pipe, intended for plumbing use, mostly underground sprinkler systems or in recreational vehicles, trailers, in the same plant that it also manufactures PVC/cement/asbestos pipe for the south China sea farming industry.

Be sure to buy only PVC pipe made in the USA or Canada and is identified by a dye strip in the pipe or a cast-in mfg. number.

Before I retired, I worked in a medical office that we shared with an internist/toxicologist who received monthly bulletins about hazardous materials in the workplace. One of the bulletins specifically noted that workers cutting imported PVC pipe with power tools should always wear eye and breathing protection and cover any exposed areas of skin, remove clothing esposed to the dust from cutting and launder it separately from household linens and other clothing.

genarog   

What's the best cream I get can my hands on in the NYC metro area, including Long Island?

I've made three attempts of Panna Cotta, using 3 diffrent recipes, and didn't like the results, at least when compared to what I had in Rome and Bologna.

In all three attempts I used cream bought at Whole Foods, the one that comes in a small bottle. I also used varied amounts of gelatin, as per each recipe.

KKLL00b   

I once ate "the best" panna cotta ever at a friend's restaurant before it closed. It was infused with lemongrass and a bit of ginger. I googled several panna cotta recipes on the net and finally settled on the one I found at Lynne Rossetto Kasper's Splendid Table website. It calls for heavy whipping cream, sour cream, and gelatin.

Try the recipe asis before reducing the gelatin. To minimize the "cooked" taste in the cream, after blooming the gelatin in water, microwave the gelatin/water mix at low power for about 10 seconds and stir until it's fully dissolved. You may need a few more zaps before the gelatin completely dissolves.

Once you dissolve the gelatin in the water you can stir it into the barely warmed cream mixture. Just be sure to stir gently so as not to form air bubbles.

I've made several variations of this recipe, including the lemongrass/ginger, green tea, Earl grey tea, passion fruit, guava, Chinese five spice, and a few others. I actually like my lemongrass/ginger version more than my friend's restaurant recipe.

• Similar Content

• By Kasia
      Plum tart with almonds

Starting from the first half of August, in the shops and on stands appear the first domestic plums. In September there are so many of them that I have a problem deciding which kind I should choose. Small and big, round and more ovate, violet, red and yellow. You can eat them fresh or make a lot of preserves (jams, plum stew, stewed fruits, pickles, liqueurs, plum brandy). Our favorite are big and round greengage plums, or slightly firm violet plums.

Plums have a lot of valuable attributes. They regulate digestion and protect us from free radicals. Dried plums are more valuable regarding vitamin and fiber content, but they have five times more calories than fresh fruits.

Plums have quite a lot B vitamins, so for a long time they have been well regarded for having a soothing effect on the nervous system and improving our frame of mind. That's why you simply have to make a plum cake. Either now or when the dreary autumn days arrive. Their benign impact on the nerves could be a good excuse for putting another piece of cake on your plate.

I don't like complicated cookery. In this recipe you will find a lot of ingredients, but even so, preparing this delicious cake is very simple.

Ingredients:
      Dough:
      250g of flour
      half a teaspoon of baking powder
      8g of vanilla sugar
      3 tablespoons of sugar
      150ml of 18% cream
      150g of butter
      Filling:
      600g of plums
      1 egg white
      3 tablespoons of minced almonds
      2 tablespoons of brown sugar
      200g of plum stew
      1 teaspoon of cinnamon
      Crumble topping:
      50g of butter
      3-4 tablespoons of flour
      3 tablespoons of brown sugar
      8g of vanilla sugar
      1 egg yolk
      Mix together the dry ingredients for the dough: flour, baking powder, sugar and vanilla sugar. Add cream. Mince the butter and add it to the dry ingredients. Quickly knead into smooth dough. Cover with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for half an hour.

Heat the oven up to 200C. Cover a baking pan (e.g. for a tart) with the dough, leaving the edges slightly raised around the sides. Whisk the egg white and cover the dough with it. Sprinkle with the almonds and brown sugar. Bake for 14 minutes. Take it out of the oven. Don't turn off the oven.

Make the crumble topping when the dough is in the oven. Melt the butter, cool it a bit then add the flour, sugar, vanilla sugar and egg yolk. Mix it with a fork until you have lumps.

Clean the plums, cut them into halves and remove the stones. Cover the baked base with plum stew, add the plums and sprinkle with cinnamon and the crumble topping. Bake for 20 minutes.

• By Kasia
      Pineapple and coconut – the ideal couple

Today, inspired by the recipes from the book "Zielone koktajle. 365 przepisów" ("Green cocktails. 365 recipes") I prepared a light coconut-pineapple dessert. You may make it without sugar if you have enough sweet fruit. If your pineapple isn't very ripe, add a bit of honey to your dessert.

Ingredients (for 4 people)
      fruit mousse
      1 pineapple
      300ml of coconut milk
      1 banana
      150ml of orange juice
      2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut
      decoration
      50g of butter
      1 tablespoon of caster sugar
      4 tablespoons of desiccated coconut
      4 slices of orange
      fruit

Blend all the ingredients of the fruit mousse. Put it into some glasses and leave in the fridge. Put the desiccated coconut, sugar and butter into a pan. Fry constantly, stirring on a low heat until the butter is melted. Leave to cool down a bit. Put 2-3 tablespoons of it on top of the desserts. Decorate with a slice of orange, fruit and some peppermint leaves before serving.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      Smile of the summer – apricot-peach shortcake

Fortunately, the summer is not only about the weather. There is also fresh, sweet-smelling fruit. Today I would like to share with you the recipe for an easy to make weekend cake. It is excellent for afternoon tea or coffee. A little work and a little baking and after that you may serve and eat, and serve and eat again and again ... I remind you that it should be a weekend cake, so if you eat everything at once, you will need to bake another one 

Ingredients:
      dough
      200g of flour
      150g of butter
      75g of sugar
      1 egg
      1 egg yolk
      1 teaspoon of baking powder

fruit:
      1kg of apricot
      4 peaches
      2 packets of powdered vanilla blancmange
      4 tablespoons of brown sugar

Put the flour, sugar, baking powder and butter onto a baking board. Chop it all up with a knife. When you have the consistency of crumble topping, add the egg and egg yolk and then knead the dough quickly. Divide the dough into two parts – 2/3 and 1/3. Cover the pieces of dough with plastic wrap and put them into the freezer.
      Wash the apricots, remove the stones and cube them. Put them into a saucepan, add a bit of water and boil until they are soft. Stir the blancmange powder in 150ml of cold water and add it to the apricots. Boil for 2 minutes stirring constantly. Turn off the heat. Wash the peaches, remove the stones and cube them. Add them to the apricots and mix them in.
      Heat the oven up to 180C.
      Smooth a 23-cm cake tin with some butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Grate the bigger part of the dough onto the cake tin, even it out and bake for 15-17 minutes. Take out the cake, but don't turn off the oven. Put the fruit mixture onto it and grate the rest of the dough onto the top. Bake for 50 minutes. Sprinkle with caster sugar before serving.

Enjoy your meal!

• By pastrygirl
      I'm watching The Sweet Makers on BBC - four British pastry chefs & confectioners recreate Tudor, Georgian, and Victorian sweets with petiod ingredients and equipment. A little British Baking Show, a little Downtown Abbey. 

Check it it out for a slice of pastry history. 

BBC viewer only available to the U.K., but on this side of the pond where there's a will, there's a way. 
    • By Kasia
      White chocolate whip with aquafaba with crumble topping and fruit.

Today I would like to share with you a dessert fit for a king. It needs a bit of work, but it is easy, and so tasty that you won't regret the time you spent on it. I have already made chocolate whip with aquafaba. Today I added a bit of whisked sweet cream, due to which it is more creamy but it isn't suitable for vegetarians.

You may use any fruit. In my opinion, bilberries, blueberries or raspberries are best. Cherries would also be excellent, but you may use your favourite fruit.

Ingredients:
      crumble topping:
      50g of butter
      50g of flour
      50g of sugar
      1 tablespoon of sesame seeds

whip:
      200ml of aquafaba (from one tin of chickpeas)
      150g of white chocolate
      150ml of 30% sweet cream
      30g of caster sugar
      other ingredients
      fruit
      caster sugar

Heat the oven up to 180C. Cover a baking sheet with baking paper.
      Make the crumble topping. Make a smooth dough with the ingredients. Make a ball with it, roll it out flat and put it on the baking paper. Bake for 10-15 minutes until it is golden. Cool it down and crumble it.
      Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie and leave it to cool down a little. Whip the aquafaba and sweet cream with caster sugar in a separate bowl. Mix them together. Add the white chocolate and stir thoroughly but gently. Put the chocolate whip into some small bowls and leave in the fridge for 2 hours.
      Put the crumble topping onto the chocolate whip. Decorate with the fruit and peppermint leaves.

Enjoy your meal!