• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hercules

thirtyoneknots

• 9 months later...
In 75 years will people have as much trouble pinning down just exactly what Pama or Hypnotiq were?

haha! There are already cocktail ingredients in Regan's "New Classic Cocktails" with flavored vodkas I have no idea about.

Two most recent attempts at Hercules:

Hercules #1

1 bottle Navarro White Table Wine

1/4 cup Yerba Mate

1 tablespoon Gentian

1 clove

Dried Peel from 1 Seville Orange

1/2 stick Ceylon Cinnamon

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup Havana Club 8 Year Rum

Method: Combine all ingredients other than rum, bring to 140 degrees for 10 minutes. Strain off solids, cool, and add rum. Refrigerate.

Interesting, but the bitterness is too prominent and single notedly gentian.

Hercules #2

1 bottle Navarro Chardonnay

1/4 cup Yerba Mate

1/2 tsp oregano

2 tsp Gentian

2 tsp Cinchona Powder

1/2 tsp Wormwood flowers and leaves

4 whole cloves

Dried Peel from 1 Seville Orange

1 stick Ceylon Cinnamon

1/2 tsp whole coriander seed

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup Apple Brandy

Method: Combine all ingredients other than brandy, bring to 140 degrees for 10 minutes. Strain off solids, cool, and add Brandy. Refrigerate.

Too bitter probably, though closer to a balanced flavor. Would like an even heavier spice presence.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 1 month later...

The general consensus was Hercules #2 was too bitter and would be better with a stronger spice component. I also thought it would benefit from a richer wine base. This version attempts to address those issues.

Hercules #3

1 Stick Cassia Cinnamon, crushed

2 tsp. Coriander Seed, crushed

8 Whole Cloves, crushed

1 tsp. Quinine Powder

1 tsp Gentian Root

1/4 Cup Yerba Mate

1 bag peppermint tea

Rind 2 Seville Oranges

Rind 1/2 Valencia Orange

1/2 cup Raw Sugar

750ml Quady Elektra Orange Muscat

1/4 cup Osocalis Brandy

METHOD: Combine spices, peel, yerba mate and wine. Heat to 140 degrees. Add mint and allow to steep for 15 minutes. Filter through chinois and add Brandy. Let stand for at least a day. Pour liquid off of sediment through coffee filter.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

The general consensus was Hercules #2 was too bitter and would be better with a stronger spice component.  I also thought it would benefit from a richer wine base.  This version attempts to address those issues.

Hercules #3

1 Stick Cassia Cinnamon, crushed

2 tsp. Coriander Seed, crushed

8 Whole Cloves, crushed

1 tsp. Quinine Powder

1 tsp Gentian Root

1/4 Cup Yerba Mate

1 bag peppermint tea

Rind 2 Seville Oranges

Rind 1/2 Valencia Orange

1/2 cup Raw Sugar

750ml Quady Elektra Orange Muscat

1/4 cup Osocalis Brandy

METHOD: Combine spices, peel, yerba mate and wine.  Heat to 140 degrees.  Add mint and allow to steep for 15 minutes.  Filter through chinois and add Brandy.  Let stand for at least a day.  Pour liquid off of sediment through coffee filter.

nice addition of peppermint.

i wonder how orange-y everything is gonna turn out. many rustic creole shrubb recipes use the peel of three sour oranges and then you have the tonal effect of the wine base. i've also found that cloves are more potent than i ever estimate. sugar really enlivens them. i've gotten to a point where i only add them one at a time.

good luck!

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com