• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A most intriguing discovery!

Aria

Hello all!

Back from my usual summer hiatus and I'm busy making 350 truffles for a wedding. Well, I had a little extra dark choc ( Lindt ) and for some reason decided to add cold yoghurt to the plain melted chocolate ( Danone Naturalia ). I stirred pretty aggressively and left it for a minute. Well, in no time it hardened enough for me to be able to roll into balls. The ganache was amazing, the tanginess and the bittersweetness blending perfectly. Anyone tried yoghurt truffles before. Also, what would be the shelf life on these? Do write...

Hello all!

Back from my usual summer hiatus and I'm busy making 350 truffles for a wedding. Well, I had a little extra dark choc ( Lindt ) and for some reason decided to add cold yoghurt to the plain melted chocolate ( Danone Naturalia ). I stirred pretty aggressively and left it for a minute. Well, in no time it hardened enough for me to be able to roll into balls. The ganache was amazing, the tanginess and the bittersweetness blending perfectly. Anyone tried yoghurt truffles before. Also, what would be the shelf life on these? Do write...

Interesting. I've made truffles with creme fraiche before and loved the tangy addition.

I think the shelf life would be equivalent to truffles made with just cream or perhaps a bit longer because the 'good' bacteria in the yoghurt would help prevent the growth of undesirable bacteria.

Hello all!

Interesting. I've made truffles with creme fraiche before and loved the tangy addition.

I think the shelf life would be equivalent to truffles made with just cream or perhaps a bit longer because the 'good' bacteria in the yoghurt would help prevent the growth of undesirable bacteria.

Hello- I have two really stupid/basic questions: First, does the cream/yoghurt/etc. act as an emulsifier(sp?)? Second, could one use yoghurt cheese (strained yoghurt solids) in place of the creme fraiche/plain yoghurt? Thanks!

Edited by Naftal (log)

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)