• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pair Sable fish with wine?

mikeI

Sable fish, is like no other from our pacific waters.

i was curious ,, i wanted to pair it with a bc wine, because it is a bc product,, and have a hard time trying to decide.

tuff fish to stand up to.

any recomendations. for the smoked or unsmoked versions of the fish.

very heavy duty flavors with sable fish,, i was thinking mission hill chardonay or a dry rieseling.. i got no idea,, please help... friends coming over for dinner next week.

I agree with the suggestion for a Riesling-Gehringers Bros would be my choice since it's off dry without being too flowery.

Not a Chardonnay fan maybe a dry Ehrenfelser instead, Gehringer has one of those too.

Can't think of anything here that matches a Spätlese though. :unsure:

La Frenz Semillon would work very well with the sable fish (unsmoked). A smoked version is great with Gewürztraminer (Dirty Laundry or Wild Goose)

Stephen Bonner

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Of course, if you flavour, spice or sauce your fish in any way that will change your pairing options.

Many good BC "aromatic" varieties with some body will work well with Sablefish. I really like CedarCreek's Dry Riesling or Sumac Ridge's Gewurztraminer (which is a little sweeter, better for the smoked fish)

A good Pinot Gris would also work. We do that grape so well here in BC. Try Mission Hill's Reserve.

All these wines should be easy to find.

I absolutely LOVE sablefish, but can't offer any intelligent contribution regarding wine pairing.

Sorry, for going off topic, but I wanted to relay that planked sablefish (I used cedar, but I suspect alder or cherry might be even better) is unbelievable.

I marinated in a vermouth soy brine for about a day and then in a medium grill (~400 IIRC) for about 20 minutes or so (it was still underdone could have used longer). I actually thought it would overpower it, but nope, it was amazing. Try it.

I like eatbc's picks above and agree with

Many good BC "aromatic" varieties with some body will work well with Sablefish

Speaking of spice, sauce and sablefish. I enjoyed an extraordinary pairing this last summer of unsmoked sablefish in a fennel-cream sauce, paired with a superb dry Vouvray. Yummy but not a BC wine (and I don't think our Chablis comes close to a Vouvray).

Depending on the sauce, a fruity, lighter pinot noir may be nice?

For aromatic BC whites, I'm really loving the Golden Mile 5th element right now.