• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SPOTTED: A New Bill and Harry's Takeout!

ejebud

Beth and are are very excited to anounce that on our way home from Mark and Julie's Ice Cream, which BTW we hit on our way home from The Belmont Tavern, we noticed that the awning in front of the horrible Chinese take out place next to Reggianno's (formerly Wish) now says Bill and Harry's!! On the RARE occasion that I can tear myself away from Chengdu 1 in Cedar Grove, at least I know I have ONE decent alternative. I noticed that the cruddyplace had closed last week and I just assumed after talking to one of the guys at Reggiano's a while ago that they were going to bust down the wall and take over the space. Happily, It didn't happen. Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

That IS interesting. Everytime I'd talked to the people at Reggiano's they confirmed that they were going to take over the space next store as soon as it went out of business.

I'm happy to have just about anything other than that terrible Chinese restaurant in that location.

Bill and Harry's is a bonus.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Ahh...something Tommy doesn't know about?!? :laugh: Half the fun of Bill and Harry's is just in the name, but I recently read that Bill is William, and is somehow connected to Noodle Chu in Parsippany (a good thing). If I can figure out where I read it, I'll post it.

Longtime Morris and Essex Cty folks know all about them...if I'm not mistaken, the original restaurant is the one on Rt. 10 in E. Hanover; it's on the eastbound side, IMMEDIATELY after the McDonald's. Blink and you missed the driveway (so don't blink). Classic NJ Chinese menu, but I've always found the place to be spotless, the vegetables particularly good, and service very fast. Always busy, but esp at lunch, when they offer ridiculously cheap specials. They have a takeout place in Maplewood, and also had one in Livingston, but iirc, it was lost in the fire that took out...darn...what's that chicken place? Chicken Nest? a couple of years ago. Plus, I think the Livingston one was owned by the scorned original partner (don't know if it was Bill or Harry). Someone here must know the full story--help me out, folks! B&H was the first place where I had boneless ribs (a zillion years ago), but the thing I'm thinking of now are their tiny ribs in a honey glaze...

Why do I come on here? WHY?!? :blink::raz:

ETA: Why I didn't Google before I submitted the post is beyond me. According to Jason P on this very old thread, "Noodle Chu is a great place -- the owner, Harry Chu, is the original owner of Bill and Harry's in east hanover and also owns Mr. Chu, a really good but more americanized restaurant also in E. Hanover across from the novartis campus on RT10. Mr. Chu is a primarily taiwanese-style restaurant and the staff internaly speaks mandarin, very different from Noodle Chu which of course is a HK-style place. Harry is usually holding the fort at Noodle Chu on dim sum days over the weekend." So there's the intel. Not Bill. Harry. At Noodle Chu, that is.

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I was just about to post about this :smile: - I spotted the new awning this morning while taking a spin on my bike. This is great - we used to go to Bill & Harry's in East Hanover quite a bit. I must admit that Chengdu 1 has become our favorite chinese hot spot, however seeing that the new Bill & Harry's is within walking distance from our house, I can see them getting more of my business.

Anyone know when they will open?

I have to say that although I love me some Chendu 1 I am also a devotee of Noodle Chu in Parsippany. Their black pepper beef udon, or beef in black pepper udon, or whatever they call it is really good. Whenever Eric and I (and it's been a while) we always debate getting 2 orders of that so we have plenty to take home.

I didn't know the Bill and Harry's connection. Cool info there.

i grew up in livingston. went to bill and harry's many times. in my recollection, which could be fuzzy, bill and harry's use to be owned by two guys named bill and harry. that was back in the day when that was a really, really good restaurant (think mid 80's to early 90's). they sold the name, and decided to get out of the business. at that point, the restaurant branched, out, and opened up several take-out sites (including the one on south livingston ave., which caused one particular shopping complex to go up in flames -- and hence, no more chicken nest in livingston). some time after selling and getting out of restaurant business, bill and harry (the individuals) opened up another restaurant using their fairly well known recipes, only because the "bill and harry" name had been purchased, they had to use a different name. that's when they came up with "mr. chu" which is on route 10. they also opened up "noodle chu" which was designed to cater to a chinese crowd. at this point, i'm not sure if both bill and harry are affiliated with the restaurants, although i know that i still see either bill or harry (i forgot who's who) at mr. chu's when i go there from time to time.

My wife and I miss the take out from B&H in Maplewood. It was a once a week pick up for us when we lived up there. When we visit the area, we make a point of going for dinner at the B&H on Rte. 10.

We're in Winston-Salem, NC now and while we find good Thai and Vietnamese here and in Greensboro the Chinese food (god, we miss Bill and Harry's), except for Szechuan Palace on Healy Drive is, to put it politely, pretty bad. Just about all Chinese restaurants are buffets (read pull up to the trough) and the food is just awful (did I happen to mention we miss Bill and Harry's).

• 1 month later...
Is this place now open?  I drove past there last night just before 10pm, and thought I saw the lights on and people in the kitchen...

It certainly is. We took out from there last night. Pretty decent food. The two dishes we ordered -- twice cooked pork and triple delight - are standard A.C. fare but they were pretty well executed - less gloppy and sugary than other examples I've tried.

To celebrate their grand opening, they gave us a free soup.

We did take out last night. My husband loves the honey baby ribs but they didn't have any last night. We got the regular bbq ribs which were delicious.

I really was in the mood for shrimp with lobster sauce - what a mistake, one bite and the whole order went right down the garbage disposal. It was a thin soupy mess with egg whites stirred in and the only flavor was pepper.

We also tried the Triple Delight which was just okay.