• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quick Gravy

Stone

You could. Or deglaze with shallots and white wine, add back all the drippings and stock, some fresh herbs, mix cornstarch with a bit of stock and whisk in, when it's at a good simmer and thickening pour through a double-mesh strainer. Keep warm with a bain Marie.

(Turkey. Gah. :sad: )

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I'm just sayin' you make a quick stock from the giblets and add it in without the actual giblets.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I like turkey gravy with giblets too.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I did a roux with butter and flour. Cooked it a bit. Added about a cup of turkey drippings, salt and pepper, and a few dashes of worcestershestershire shauce. A can of chicken stock. It's quite good.

thanks all.

jinmyo,

"deglaze with shallots and white wine"

tried it a few times - with sancerre - and it was a bit too sour in my opinion. what to do? different wine, like alsace riesling?

edit: what is a "double-mesh strainer"?

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

Oraklet, I'm not that knowledgeable about wine. I usually just use a cheapo Soave.

A double-mesh strainer is, um, a strainer with two meshes.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

The finer to strain with, my dear.

Best wines for cooking = good idea for new thread.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Down here, it ain't turkey gravy unless it's giblet gravy. We love the little chewy bits. To the gravy, in addition to the giblets, we also add the neck meat and chopped hard-boiled eggs.

Yum.

The holidays are coming.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Turkey. Feh.