• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Restaurant Recommendations

Malibugal

My husband and I will be traveling in Japan in a few weeks and need some help rounding out our restaurant plans.

We will be visiting Yokohama and would love to have some Chinese food. Everything I've read so far says that Chinatown is terribly touristy. We're looking for a high-end or mid-end restaurant, preferably Cantonese, that is not too terribly touristy. So far, in my reading, Heichinrou sounds OK. Anyone been there? Anyone have other suggestions?

In Kyoto, we're trying to settle on a Shojin-Ryori restaurant. Would love something serene with a nice aesthetic as well as good food. There are so many choices, it's been hard to narrow down. Thoughts or recommendations?

Edited by Malibugal (log)

I would definitely recommend Heichinrou, I have been there on numerous occasions (both the China town store and the smaller one just 5 minutes from my house). It is Cantonese and can get pricey but they have really good lunch deals.

I really hate to say this about Yokohama's China town but it is very easy to get a bad meal here and an overpriced one at that. In most of Japan you can pick a restaurant randomly off the street and get a good if not wonderful meal.

I have tried this numerous times in China town and have been disappointed every time. I have tried little mom and pop style noodle shops as well as he monstrous palace like places that serve a little of everything. I now head right to Heichinrou where I know I will get consistently good food.

The little shops on the street are quite good, especially the roasted chestnuts, any of the pork buns and the sweet deep fried sesame coated balls.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Izusen has a nice little outdoor seating area, although I'd suggest requesting it in advance when you reserve.

In Kyoto, we're trying to settle on a Shojin-Ryori restaurant.  Would love something serene with a nice aesthetic as well as good food.  There are so many choices, it's been hard to narrow down.  Thoughts or recommendations?

I haven't been to Yokohama Chinatown for around 15 years, but unless things have changed significantly, it's an out-and-out tourist trap, overpriced, and weighted in favour of gluey-sauce Cantonese dishes. With the increasing number of Chinese in Japan these days, a lot of Chinese food now available has evolved well beyond that level. My vote goes to Cafe 8 in Tokyo. Cheap, great quality, and open 24 hours. Service is hit and miss, but you don't tip and the food's good, so who cares? It's in Tokyo, but worth the trip. When I went it wasn't busy, but I've been told there are usually lineups, so if you go, try and hit it outside normal hours.

http://metropolis.co.jp/tokyo/563/restaurants.asp