• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Persian Rice Cookers

dockhl

I recently made a delicious dish of Saffron Rice with Sour Cherries and Pistachios, which I understand is a traditional Persian dish. I was unable to get the crunchy crust at the bottom (tah-dig) however. When I asked a Persian friend of mine, he said his wife has a Persian rice cooker that you can adjust to whatever degree of crust you want. YUM !

I've been following the RICE COOKER THREAD but they are only speaking of Japanese rice cookers. Does anyone have experience with the Persian kind, and can make recommendations?

Thanks~

Kathy

Rice in the Middle East is often cooked with a fair amount of oil. This really helps to get the nice browned bottom. I always fry my rice in oil before adding the water. After it's done you just turn down the heat and let it sit. You will get a nice golden brown, crunchy bottom. Flip it over onto a plate. This is how I grew up eating rice.

Thank you both.

mhjoseph,have you had experience with this cooker?

Yes, we own one and use it constantly. My wife is Persian, and although I do most of the cooking, she approves of the rice as does her family. (I've become a pretty decent Persian cook, along with the other ethnic cuisines I've picked up).