• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dish washer

Soup

Well, our ASCO dishwasher has finally die afte 8 years of service. The electronics went, apperently a common problem (according to the repair man). He recommend that we not fix and buy a new one.

So the wife is looking at Bosch or Miele. Any suggestions or comments?

I had the same experience with my Asko. I thought it did a fantastic and quiet job with the dishes, but repairs were a pain. I resolved not to get another, then went through an absurd saga, starting last April, of trying to replace it, which involved two failed LG dishwashers, absurd dealings with Best Buy, and very chapped hands. About a month ago I finally went to our local high end appliance store, resolved to buy a Bosch or something else. I ended up buying a new Asko, on the basis of price (there's a $100 rebate at the moment), quality, and their new 3-year parts & labor warranty. So far, so good, though that doesn't mean much. But you might want to take another look at Asko; they have apparently revamped the electronics and I assume the exceptional warranty is their attempt to address the perceptions their old models engendered. Good luck.

I went with a Miele in our kitchen renovation two years ago. The decision-maker was the separate top cutlery rack--I would miss that feature if I ever had to go to a dishwasher without it. No issues with the dishwasher. It's nice and quiet, which is important for our open kitchen.