• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chipped Beef

oli

Are you talking just the dried beef in the jar? If so, layer across the bottom of a pan and top with a cut up chicken, take a can of cream of mushroom soup and an equal amount of sour cream mixed together and pour over the chicken and bake at, umm, I don't have the recipe in front of me so I'm going to guess 325-350 degrees until chicken is cooked through. Don't remember how long. An hour or so. Serve over white rice. A fave from my childhood. If you're not a huge fan of salt, you can rinse and pat dry the dried beef before hand. Me, I'm a salt whore so I don't rinse. Yum. Okay...now I'm hungry!

Edited by duckduck (log)

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

What a coincidence. I was just reading an issue of Saveur from last year and so I know what SOS stands for! Growing up, we always called it "Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast". Total comfort food. You either love it or hate it.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Are you talking just the dried beef in the jar? If so, layer across the bottom of a pan and top with a cut up chicken, take a can of cream of mushroom soup and an equal amount of sour cream mixed together and pour over the chicken and bake at, umm, I don't have the recipe in front of me so I'm going to guess 325-350 degrees until chicken is cooked through. Don't remember how long. An hour or so. Serve over white rice. A fave from my childhood. If you're not a huge fan of salt, you can rinse and pat dry the dried beef before hand. Me, I'm a salt whore so I don't rinse. Yum. Okay...now I'm hungry!

I've made this with boneless skinless chicken breasts (which I hate) wrapped in bacon. Cook for 1 hour at least.........it is amazing !

I rinse the beef before.

Edited by dockhl (log)

What a coincidence.  I was just reading an issue of Saveur from last year and so I know what SOS stands for!  Growing up, we always called it "Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast".  Total comfort food.  You either love it or hate it.

I love it but I prepare it with fresh, frozen or even canned asparagus and rather than toast, I bake crispy, corn waffles (unsweetened) and the flavor combination is just perfect.

I also "wash" it in simmering water for just a few seconds to remove some of the salt.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My wife has some chipped beef and she looked to me to find her a good recipe.  Anybody know what we can do with this?

Thanks

SOS of course. Being in a military family, this was well loved breakfast. And sometimes dinner.

on buttered toast.......for the win........

My wife has some chipped beef and she looked to me to find her a good recipe.  Anybody know what we can do with this?

Thanks

SOS of course. Being in a military family, this was well loved breakfast. And sometimes dinner.

on buttered toast.......for the win........

Sir, yes sir! :rolleyes:

In our family, a favorite party snack:

Chipped Beef Pinwheels

1 jar chipped beef

4 oz cream cheese, softened

1 Tbsp grated onion

1 tsp. horseradish

dash of Worcestershire sauce

dash of Tabasco or other hot sauce

Combine all ingredients except the beef. Carefully separate the pieces of beef and smear some of the cream cheese mixture on each one. Roll up each slice of beef & cream cheese mixture. Slice crosswise to make pinwheels. Cover pinwheels and chill until firm. When firm, stand each pinwheel up on its side and spear with toothpick.

This also works with thin slices of ham.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

My fam also had a favorite party snack made with chipped beef:

Jar of chipped beef, rinsed and cut into a narrow chiffonade

Grated sharp cheddar

Grated Onion (we always used dehydrated

Worchester sauce

Ground pep or hot pepper sauce

Mayo to combine (think tuna salad consistency)

Smear a generous dollop on slice of "party size" pumpernickel rye

Broil until deeply golden, cheese is melted and it is a hot, greasy (!) and gooey mess on a little round of bread.

They're really not good for big parties (they have to cooked to order), but at small family gatherings, we could make a meal of these and crudities. YUM.

My dad called them "Horses Ovaries"!

J

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy