• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Glad SimplyCooking Microwave Steaming Bags

Jamie Lee

http://www.glad.com/simplycooking/

I'm intrigued, and put off for a number of reasons.

In the "for" category:

1. No dishes to wash.

2. No Microwave cooking gear to buy.

3. The ability to wash and package fresh veggies right from store or farmers market - "Just in Time".

4. Single serve portions (great for a "cooking for one" gal)

In the "against" category:

1. They aren't recyclable, or re-usable.

2. Because they are not re-usable, it's throw away money.

3. They are a waste of earth resources, and aren't green.

Thoughts? Has anyone used them?

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy

are these things sealed or vented?

They're vented. The FAQ on the website also confirms that they are not recyclable. Shame on them.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I agree with all the cons. They were demo'ing these at Sam's Club the other week with broccoli. I think they were doing a brisk business on the taste of the broccoli alone. Of course, most of the customers enthralled with them had probably never had fresh steamed broccoli before. I live in the south where they boil everything for hours with a ham hock. If it started out green, it won't be when they are done. My elderly neighbor was ready to buy. I just bought a bag of the fresh broccoli and told her I'd show her how to make some in a bowl in the microwave.

All of the above, plus I wouldn't trust that plastic not to leach scary stuff into my food when heated.

This from the FAQ section:

Will the plastic transfer to my food?

No. Concern about heating plastics comes from the use of chemical additives known as plasticizers in plastics made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC). GLAD® does not use PVC plastics in its products. GLAD® SimplyCooking™ Microwave Steaming Bags are made with ingredients/plastics that comply with FDA regulations, and are safe for microwave cooking.

All of the above, plus I wouldn't trust that plastic not to leach scary stuff into my food when heated.

This from the FAQ section:

Will the plastic transfer to my food?

No. Concern about heating plastics comes from the use of chemical additives known as plasticizers in plastics made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC). GLAD® does not use PVC plastics in its products. GLAD® SimplyCooking™ Microwave Steaming Bags are made with ingredients/plastics that comply with FDA regulations, and are safe for microwave cooking.

Nice, but, to me at least, unpersuasive. I know glass and hot food is safe; I don't know if plastic and hot food is safe, and I'm not convinced that the FDA knows yet either.

Not that the FDA isn't infallible and all . . . :hmmm: