• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whistler restaurant update

Sobaicecream

• 2 weeks later...

Oysters were non-exsistent this year in Whistler for me, had my two year old daughter with me and she was not interested in any fine dining restaurant.

Earls did well for us, no surprises - good staff and nice meals.

After all I have heard and read about Monk's Grill in the upper village I did not want to go - even when invited....Best meal I have had in six months. Braised short rib was perfect with a reasonable Cote d'Rhone. Our server was a 10/10 but the timing, as always was messed up. After all these years you would think they would be able to get a dessert out in 30 minutes (and have it fresh, not stale).

If we had stopped after the mains we would have experienced our best meal of the year...but again, the server was as good as any I have meet in Vancouver.

I look forward to going back.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a few days at Whistler. We had a good run of food:

Ciao Thyme Bistro - upper village. Small space, about 24 seats. Service mediocre but food was worth the visit. Foie torchon with crumbled cinnamon bun was so-so, but the butternut squash ravioli with pea and nicely cooked fish (forget the kind) was good. Very expensive for what it is - prices were only slightly higher at Araxi, but cozy and pleasant.

Araxi - very impressive food for this scale of operation. My kumamoto oyster was perfect, and my smoked sablefish was perfectly cooked and served with a deliciously lemony risotto that contained bits of octopus. Service was excellent, and the requisite molten center chocolate cake (yawn) acceptable. Oh, and the sake that we ordered was served appropriately chilled and was wonderful.

Sushi Village - Looks casual, but the kitchen is using high quality ingredients and treating them well. Albacore tuna nigiri was terrific, served on perfect rice. Salmon nigiri was the best I've ever had. Tempura wasn't bad, but not something I'd order again. Rolls were well put together, but not as good as the simpler preparations. Service, again, was quite good for such a casual place.

Overall, with a bit of research and luck, and willingness to spend slightly silly amounts of money, one can have great food in Whistler...making up for the shockingly cold weather and slightly icy slopes.

• 4 weeks later...

Bearfoot charges extra for a cocktail made for your table as opposed to the bar, and they put ice in their manhattans. I have had some great cocktails at the fairmont lounge, but ask first if they still have the centennial cocktail program, or remember it. They should have fee bros bitters, and peychauds, also they use egg whites.

Araxi also had some nice cocktails.

I second the recommendation for Araxi. They always do an amazing job with cocktails, and they even have outstanding non-alcoholic ones (as my pregnant wife recently found out).

I have also enjoyed some great cocktails in the lounge at the Four Seasons.

Have fun!

Eric

Edited by Edible Vancouver (log)

• 5 months later...

I'm heading up to Whistler in August for some hiking and relaxing. Restaurant advice and recommendations based on recent experiences would be most appreciated. I think we'll be staying at the Fairmont.

Cheers,

Anne